Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Wisconsin's Wolf Season - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-12-2021, 06:48 PM
johnboat johnboat is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Iowa.
Posts: 1,802
Default

C&K

I enjoyed your reply.

My money is on a good smart cat anyday. As a kid we had a good smart cat who'd stand her ground. The neighborhood dogs eventually learned it was a good idea to stay off Tilly's yard. I can only imagine the beating a non domesticated Big Cat, where size being as it is, would be as you describe.

Here in the cornfields of Iowa there is no where near the opportunity to experience what you see and hear in regards to Wolf activity, so I can completely understand you not "getting" it.

If that's an offer for permission to hunt your property, I accept. I'll pack light and you'll hardly notice I'm there.
🙂. Although it's not just to say I shot one. Other than a thread or two on WC, I keep my hunting experiences to myself, and half a handful of people.

Last edited by johnboat; 03-12-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 03-15-2021, 12:18 PM
C&K C&K is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
My money is on a good smart cat anyday. As a kid we had a good smart cat who'd stand her ground. The neighborhood dogs eventually learned it was a good idea to stay off Tilly's yard. I can only imagine the beating a non domesticated Big Cat, where size being as it is, would be as you describe.
The cats that live here are well-fed, they have way more food than they do out west. They are typically 200-220 lbs, females a bit smaller around 180 lbs. They live totally on deer and elk (we have some elk up here too). Unlike a wolf pack that can only take an adult deer down in deep snow and primarily goes after fawns in the spring and summer, the cats are very powerful. A single cat can take down a big buck whitetail any time it gets hungry, and it can outrun the deer. So it gets hungry, it just goes out and kills one.

And yes, the cats are beautiful animals. We enjoy seeing them. They are powerful, smart, they know they rule their territory. A single male will roam up to 2,000 sq miles. A 220lb male can disable a 110lb wolf by breaking its back or neck with a single swipe of its paw. Then the cat grabs it by the spine in back of the head and carries it off.

But the cats here don't mess with people, they avoid people, or anything to do with people, like the plague. So while we find their kills sometimes, or sometimes see tracks, actually seeing a cat is very very rare. They have been spotted crossing the road sometimes, but most people don't realize what they saw until it disappears into the brush on the other side of the road and then they realize the tail on that cat was 3 feet long. They are the absolute apex predator of the Wisconsin North Woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
If that's an offer for permission to hunt your property, I accept. I'll pack light and you'll hardly notice I'm there.
If you get a tag, come on up. We got way too many wolves, they have been driven more south in the farm country around US 8 because they got easy pickings with beef cattle. You tell any farmer you're here to hunt wolves, they'll welcome you onto their land and tell you to bring your friends and kill 'em all.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-15-2021, 04:30 PM
C&K C&K is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
My money is on a good smart cat anyday. As a kid we had a good smart cat who'd stand her ground.
@johnboat A farm cat can be mean enough. But I'm talking about big cats.

When the DNR first saw the photo of the young male cat (about a year and half old) over by Spooner, WI they tried to get some local hunters to chase it so they could put this collar on it. The hunters in the area refused, told the DNR we respect that cat and we're not chasing it with our dogs.

Well, as usual, the DNR does not take "no" for an answer, they got some hired guns to chase it and that did not turn out very well for them. They did manage to tree it once (photo) so they finally believed there is big cats here. But that was the last time they ever saw that one. The cat learned that if it goes up a tree, humans show up and start shooting at it with a dart gun. It leaped 40 feet out of the tree and they never saw it again after 3 days and 30 miles later when they finally lost their dogs and the cat disappeared.

The DNR still thinks there's only one cat in the North Woods because it's the only one they ever seen. But we got news for 'em. The DNR "manages" their deer, bears and wolves with pretty much the same level of competence as they demonstrated trying to catch a little 1 1/2 year old male cat. So those of us that live here have more respect for the cats than we have for the DNR because one of our young male cats proved it is smarter than the DNR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spooner Advocate.png
Views:	8
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	324870   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	324872  
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-15-2021, 09:12 PM
johnboat johnboat is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Iowa.
Posts: 1,802
Default

I appreciate your stories and perspective.

Yes, I know by big cats you were referring to Mtn Lions/Cougars. The point I was stumbling to make was if my 18 lb fluffy over fed house cat with a bad attitude and a bell on her collar (Mom hated her killing and eating hummingbirds) could slice up the German Shepherd farm dog down the block whenever she felt the need, I can only imagine what the Big'ens you are talking about are capable of. Particularly since they are 10X the size and 20X more powerful. I was surprised however that they take dominance over the Wolves as you say. Interesting.

The incompetence and attitude of the DNR, however is no shocker.
Throw in the fact they were probably assisted with a know-it-all Wildlife Biologist or 2 who have never stepped foot in the area of study, well, that's what you get.

Hypothetical question:
If a guy were to draw a tag and go hunt unknown to me land up in your neck of the woods for a Wolf for what would only amount to a 3-4 day hunt if history repeats itself, what's the best tactic to use?
Howl at night to locate them and go in at first light? Set up and call them in like 'Yotes? Set up a bait site and wait'em out? (I think I read that's ok) I'd prefer not to use dogs.

And finally, do the locals take kindly to seeing out of staters take part. I know in NE Iowa some get a little protective of "their" Public Hunting Grounds.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by johnboat; 03-15-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-16-2021, 09:24 AM
C&K C&K is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
I was surprised however that they take dominance over the Wolves as you say. Interesting.
The cats do not allow either coyotes or wolves in their territory. They will run down and kill either on sight. If there is cats around, and the cats find them, the wolves will be driven out. This is an important consideration for hunting wolves because most of the cats are in the North Woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
The incompetence and attitude of the DNR, however is no shocker.
The DNR wardens themselves are decent guys and gals. They're just out there protecting the wildlife from people that would exploit it or break laws. It's the biologists that are stupid beyond all belief. And the money they spend on "managing" and "studying" is basically blown taxpayer dollars - like trying to catch a cat and put a collar on it. Leave the animal alone, let it do what it does and if you want to "study" it then put up some game cams and go interview the locals who see 'em all the time. Go out in the woods and find some deer kills to locate where the cat is hanging out and maybe try to get some photos of it. But don't do stupid stuff like chasing it with dogs to try to put a collar on it. It's not your "property" to track with a radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
If a guy were to draw a tag and go hunt unknown to me land up in your neck of the woods for a Wolf for what would only amount to a 3-4 day hunt if history repeats itself, what's the best tactic to use?
[.........]
And finally, do the locals take kindly to seeing out of staters take part. I know in NE Iowa some get a little protective of "their" Public Hunting Grounds.
I don't know if howling is successful. For calling, if I was going to go wolf hunting, I'd use a small game or deer call instead, like a fawn. Wolves seem to be attracted to anything that's easy food, not to each other. The reason we see so many around during deer hunting and after during the day is because they got gut piles they find to eat.

When it comes to being an out-of-stater, it don't make any difference. The wolves are not what we'd consider a "prized" game animal. Farmers will not turn you away for hunting wolves. Most people around here shot 'em at night with a spotlight. Ran 'em with dogs during the day. Wolves are not exceptionally smart. If you find a pack of 3 or 4 growling and fighting over a deer gut pile, you can shoot one, the rest are so stupid they will mill around yipping and yapping, chamber another round and shoot another one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.