Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bad New Battery? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-29-2021, 09:14 AM
Wallhanger

Default Bad New Battery?

So long story short, bought a new to me 2010 G3 185F Angler. I am redoing all the electronics including the TM. I bought a 24v ulterra. Anyway, I got the new group 31 battery trays installed yesterday and dropped the new Die Hard Gold group 29 batteries in and connected everything. I plugged my onboard charger in and one battery sat on 10% charge. The other started at 10% but quickly climbed up to 70%. I decided to unplug the charger and connect my normal charger I use for other batteries. When that one was connected it read 7.2v and was at 1% battery charge. The batteries I bought had a date of 7/20 or 8/20 on them. I left the charger on that battery overnight and it was at 80% this morning. I reconnected the onboard charger and will check it tonight when I get home to see where it's at. Anyway, I have never bought a new battery and had it down that low. Should I be concerned about it? It does have a 1 year warranty so maybe I will use it a bit and keep an eye on it. I am just concerned that it may have less capacity now and draw down faster than the other one.
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2021, 10:29 AM
Wallhanger

I'd be concerned if I bought a new battery and the voltage was that low. If it were me, I'd return it and exchange it for a new battery if I could to avoid any future problems.
Did you happen to check the voltage on the other battery prior to charging?

Last edited by KPKyllo; 04-29-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:30 PM
Wallhanger

Any lead acid batteries stored lower than 12.7 are old stock, used or defective. 7.5 volts is definitely damaged goods I would return both for fresh batteries. Bob
I will add, the date on the lead acid batteries should be no more than 2 months past the date of manufacture

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 04-29-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2021, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
I'd be concerned if I bought a new battery and the voltage was that low. If it were me, I'd return it and exchange it for a new battery if I could to avoid any future problems.
Did you happen to check the voltage on the other battery prior to charging?

I did throw the charger on it and it said 12.4 or 12.6v
Old 04-29-2021, 03:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Any lead acid batteries stored lower than 12.7 are old stock, used or defective. 7.5 volts is definitely damaged goods I would return both for fresh batteries. Bob
I will add, the date on the lead acid batteries should be no more than 2 months past the date of manufacture

What really sucks is that there aren't many deep cell batteries to be found in my neck of the woods. I normally run the group 29 everstart Maxx batteries from walmart since they have a 2 year warranty but I can't find them anywhere. I would just call the walmarts but most of those idiots wouldn't know if they had any or not. The Walmart app says to check in store.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
What really sucks is that there aren't many deep cell batteries to be found in my neck of the woods. I normally run the group 29 everstart Maxx batteries from walmart since they have a 2 year warranty but I can't find them anywhere. I would just call the walmarts but most of those idiots wouldn't know if they had any or not. The Walmart app says to check in store.
If you do AGMs or Lithium they can be shipped on UPS. I have not bought a battery locally in several years. Bob
Old 05-04-2021, 04:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
If you do AGMs or Lithium they can be shipped on UPS. I have not bought a battery locally in several years. Bob
I don't have the money to spend on AGM's or lithiums this season. They maybe something I would get in the future though.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
100% agree. 7.5v is a definite no go.You should have a 100% replacement warranty. I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but when i go to purchase batteries i bring my meter and a load tester and test the batteries on my tailgate before I leave the parking lot.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 72" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders