Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dealer or Authorized Repair Shop? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-28-2021, 09:50 AM
Keeper

Default Dealer or Authorized Repair Shop?

Fortunately I have a very good Marine Service Shop Iíve been going to for many years. They have factory certified mechanics for at least Mercury, Evinrude, Volvo, and probably more and they do not sell boats. The issue I have with dealers is they want to get recently sold boats out the door so they can get paid for the sale and often timeís customers that just need service are constantly moving to the back of the line. Especially now since dealers in our area are really hurting for qualified mechanics.

While not directly related to motor issues hereís a perfect example. A few years ago I needed some fiberglass work done to the hull because of the way a company that will not be named didnít know what they were doing when they installed new bunks on my hoist. I went to a very large boat dealer in the area and inquired about getting it repaired and they told me no problem we can get it done in March so in February I stopped in and asked when I can get it in for repairs. The same guy tells me they are tied up getting boats ready that they sold at the boat show so they canít get to it for a couple of months. Really, like he didnít know back in the fall that they would be swamped after the boat show. So I mentioned this to my Marine Service Shop and they recommended an outfit that specializes in Fiberglass repair, and they donít sell boats! They had me in and out within a week and a half, just great service and fair price. Guess I should have asked them first.

So unless itís some sort of warranty work on the boat itself I do my best to stay away from dealers, just seems like they are more concerned about selling boats rather than service. Just my opinion.

Donscs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2021, 09:54 AM
Wallhanger

Sounds like you need to buy a boat dealership.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:34 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Sounds like you need to buy a boat dealership.
Not sure why you would think I need to buy a dealership. All I was doing was expressing my opinion on where I would rather have my boat serviced. If you are happy with the service you get from a dealer good for you.

Sorry my posts are rubbing you the wrong way, Have A Great Day.

Yikes,
Donscs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2021, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscs View Post
Not sure why you would think I need to buy a dealership. All I was doing was expressing my opinion on where I would rather have my boat serviced. If you are happy with the service you get from a dealer good for you.

Sorry my posts are rubbing you the wrong way, Have A Great Day.

Yikes,
Donscs
No, you shared your one experience with one dealer,,,,,,,, then promptly kicked all dealers to the curb.

They told you it could be done in March, yet you waited until February to schedule an appointment.

Seems like you should have scheduled your appointment when they still had open spots for March.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:55 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
No, you shared your one experience with one dealer,,,,,,,, then promptly kicked all dealers to the curb.

They told you it could be done in March, yet you waited until February to schedule an appointment.

Seems like you should have scheduled your appointment when they still had open spots for March.
Look if you are happy with your dealer for service Great. Iím sure there are some great dealers who provide great service but thereís more than one in our area that arenít the most responsive especially with all the boats they are currently selling.

Just to clear something up; when I went to the large dealership in the fall regarding repairing the fiberglass on the hull I wanted to set up an appointment at that time and hopefully get it done over the winter. I was speaking to the service manager and he told me to stop by in February to set up the appointment for March, I even stopped by in January to make sure he could get it done in March and was told ďNo ProblemĒ.

Again, if you are happy with your dealership great.

Donscs
Old 04-28-2021, 01:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscs View Post
Look if you are happy with your dealer for service Great. Iím sure there are some great dealers who provide great service but thereís more than one in our area that arenít the most responsive especially with all the boats they are currently selling.

Just to clear something up; when I went to the large dealership in the fall regarding repairing the fiberglass on the hull I wanted to set up an appointment at that time and hopefully get it done over the winter. I was speaking to the service manager and he told me to stop by in February to set up the appointment for March, I even stopped by in January to make sure he could get it done in March and was told ďNo ProblemĒ.

Again, if you are happy with your dealership great.

Donscs
I always chuckle when people assume you don't know how to do something simple to their liking.....like making an appointment. Maybe you will get an apology for the implied "your stupid" post! But don't hold your breath Don!

Marty
Old 04-28-2021, 03:56 PM
Wallhanger

Un fortunately customer service is not the priority it once was more than likely the service managers hands were tied by the owner. All we can do is not patronize those places that don't live up to our expectations and share our experiences with others so they can make their own decisions. If enough people complain, and stop patronizing places with bad service they may change. Yes everybodys experience is different but if you are the one thats left out it sucks. Glad you were able to get the repair done live and learn.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post

it’s not just one dealer many are the same crap. They are focused on the boat sales more money and push everyone off. I avoid dealers also and i know several that have hacks they call mechanics. They need to learn something from car dealers. Service sells future cars buyers and car buyers need service.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Last edited by bbheli; 05-04-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:12 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
it’s not just one dealer many are the same crap. They are focused on the boat sales more money and push everyone off. I avoid dealers also and i know several that have hacks they call mechanics. They need to learn something from car dealers. Service sells future cars buyers and car buyers need service.
I've been in that situation: Ask to make an appointment in June, been told "we're busy until August" BUT when i said "OK, so let's schedule it in August because this isn't really urgent"---

The guy said "We have no openings' in front of me without even looking at a calendar or anything.

NY/NJ/CT are so busy & overpopulated that if 10 customers walk out the door, 10 new customers will walk in & it's like that's part of their business model. Repeat customers aren't even necessary.

I know 3 dealers with marinas that stopped selling fishing boats because it's simpler to sell bow riders, pontoons, get paid for winter storage & dock space after the sale. 1 has their mechanics returning to work in April after 4 months off. In the time it takes to prep a pontoon or bow rider, versus a bass boat or vee, they could deliver 4 or 5 boats & make a helluva lot more money

These are all true examples of good dealers turned sour on fishing boats

Last edited by FinmanPoozie; 05-04-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
itís not just one dealer many are the same crap. They are focused on the boat sales more money and push everyone off. I avoid dealers also and i know several that have hacks they call mechanics. They need to learn something from car dealers. Service sells future cars buyers and car buyers need service.
For car dealers, yes the sale is important but not as important as the service revenue. From Edmunds:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/w...ake-money.html

According to NADA, nearly 37 percent of a dealership's gross profit comes from the sale of F&I products and service contracts on new and used cars. A dealership's service and parts department accounts for 44 percent of the dealership's gross profits, according to NADA.

Marty