Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New trolling install with Humminbird - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Keeper

I don't know that would spend the extra money for the iPilot link. The iPilot itself is a must have, but the link is not that useful in my opinion. Also it's another cord coming out of the head of your trolling motor you have to worry with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Slot Fish

Respectfully have to disagree with you jdavis. Maybe you use a lot of spotlock. I troll by myself about 70% of the time and can't imagine not having follow the contour and offset.

Fished in the dark for a couple of hours last night and the trolling motor kept me exactly on course so I could work the lure and keep the line weed free.

As the bite went from 22' to 14' to 7' I just adjusted on the fly and never had to lay down any new tracks.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Keeper

Yeah, I could see it being super useful if you troll with your electrics.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:30 PM
Minnow

So it sounds like I could get away without getting IPilot link? For anyone familiar with the area, I'm on Lake Bemidji (and almost exclusively fish Lake Bemidji with this boat). Contours aren't too crazy for the most part (Except on northern end of lake). If that's the case I could splurge on a bigger locator screen I suppose, or just keep the extra $600 (which would greatly please the wife). I've attached picture of contours on our lake for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garmin_bemidji_front.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	507.0 KB
ID:	313424  
Old 10-19-2019, 04:18 PM
Slot Fish

Can really appreciate saving $600? I spent all of last winter pondering whether to upgrade either my trolling motor or electronic.

To me it came down to how I fish. As mentioned above I troll by myself about 70% of the time.

I'm still using an 898 and don't think a better unit would significantly alter my catch rate.

The link however has had a dramatic difference because I set it on a contour and troll just over submerged weeds or tight along the edge.

With the link I never really lose control of where I am and get probably 30% more time actually fishing effectively. I often have a weed or a fish every 10 minutes or so and can just hit spotlock or keep going at a slower speed until the fish is landed or line cleared. Boat stays where I want to fish so I just bump up the speed.

With the regular I pilot you could lay down tracks and do the same thing but wouldn't be able to adjust the route/depth on the fly.

Be happy to answer any questions if you want to PM me.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:51 AM
Minnow

Hey again everyone,

I purchased a helix 12 mega SI G2N from Cabela’s online on Black Friday. It was a bit of a reach in my budget, but since I wasn’t able to make it into a physical store on Friday morning to get the helix 10 on special it’s what I went with. Now for cyber Monday they have the deal on the 10 SI G2N online. Will I see a big difference with 2” of screen? (I know the resolution is higher with more pixel density) Thinking of returning the 12 and purchasing the 10 as originally planned. $500 buys a lot of Christmas presents for the family. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2019, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

Your budget and family come first. Later in life it gets a bit easier. Have a great Christmas! Bob