Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What Am I Forgetting??? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Wallhanger

it seems that at least for me it's something that I get ready/pack and then just forget to put it in the truck.....so to overcome my dyslexia and forgetfullnes in my excitement to get going, I too have a list of items that dates back to 2000. Some thing are added and ones removed for lack of use or uselessness. So I open an area in the garage for all my things on the list and start a pile. Then everything is inventoried the night before leaving and placed in the truck. Try and get a good nights sleep and just load up the coffee cup and I'm out. Haven't forgotten anything for the last several trips.

Good Luck, not everyone can be as anal about this stuff as I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 12:45 PM
Keeper

I get a chuckle reading these stories. Our issue last year on our fly-in came down to forgetting an Allen Wrench. THAT allen wrench is what tightens the transducer puck to the bracket. Missing that single, little wrench cost us a lot of grief....
Old 07-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Slot Fish

I also make lists and they serve many purposes. First and foremost they are an excellent way to dang near eliminate forgetting anything. They also help organize who is bringing what so that we don’t end up with 12 cans of Crisco and 1 box of breading. My buddies all poke fun at me and call me anal retentive which I will admit to. But I’m also quick to point out how smoothly our trips usually go because of my lists. Another upside to using lists is that it gives me something to fidget with during the long days leading up to our next trip.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_settr View Post
I also make lists and they serve many purposes. First and foremost they are an excellent way to dang near eliminate forgetting anything. They also help organize who is bringing what so that we don’t end up with 12 cans of Crisco and 1 box of breading. My buddies all poke fun at me and call me anal retentive which I will admit to. But I’m also quick to point out how smoothly our trips usually go because of my lists. Another upside to using lists is that it gives me something to fidget with during the long days leading up to our next trip.
Exactly, and the guy who gives me the most grief, last November on a 5 day trip to south Dakota Pheasant hunting, you will never guess who forgot to pack his boots. So he heads to Cabelas in Mitchell on day 1 for a new pair, an 1.5hr drive away, and then complains about having to break in his boots all week.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:49 AM
Wallhanger

Default What am I forgetting?

I have been using two lists: one for groceries / meals and the other for other items.
Have a clip board which I use when grocery shopping as well as packing the car.
Happy to say that I have not forgotten anything i many years.

One ride home, I go through the grocery list and make changes to reflect what food items were / were not popular. The clip board makes it easy to write on in the car.
That list gets printed off the computer when I start shopping a good month before we leave for Canada.
I know many guys buy their groceries on the ride up to Canada but I prefer to buy while at home. This allows me the opportunity to shop weekly sales and freeze certain items.
Garmin
Old 07-05-2019, 06:53 AM
Wallhanger

Default I'm a list guy too!

I always have a list. My grocery list the most fun. It includes both the shopping list and the menu. I play with it between trips and it keeps me feeling like I'm doing something useful. I've got 4 years (9 trips) of lists and menus in a single spreadsheet each on their own page so I can easily reference previous years and make adjustments. Being the chef I'm also the "grocery getter". If we forget something it's on me. One year I forgot to pack the frozen food in the cooler. What a shock when unloaded at the cabin. No brats, no steaks, no pizza. That was several years ago and I still hear about it. We wasted an afternoon driving to a grocery store. My spread sheet has a column for "got it" and also for "packed". I check it twice just like Santa.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by port1042 View Post
I always have a list. My grocery list the most fun. It includes both the shopping list and the menu. I play with it between trips and it keeps me feeling like I'm doing something useful. I've got 4 years (9 trips) of lists and menus in a single spreadsheet each on their own page so I can easily reference previous years and make adjustments. Being the chef I'm also the "grocery getter". If we forget something it's on me. One year I forgot to pack the frozen food in the cooler. What a shock when unloaded at the cabin. No brats, no steaks, no pizza. That was several years ago and I still hear about it. We wasted an afternoon driving to a grocery store. My spread sheet has a column for "got it" and also for "packed". I check it twice just like Santa.
My list is exactly the same as yours. great minds think alike. As camp cook you get a great deal of satisfaction from knowing everyone is getting fed and fed well, my wife has no idea how well we eat on these trips, and I'm not telling!! I buy everything at home and pack it and freeze it, with the exceptions of the items I can't bring across. Those items are purchased at the grocery store in Fort Francis on the trip up. Those items being, bread, buns, potatoes, onions, milk, OJ, Chicken and anything else that looks yummy, they have/had a really good bakery.
besides if I left it up to some of these guys we would have cereal for breakfast, dry sandwiches for lunch, and fish for dinner everyday. We have our fish, but we also will have rib eyes, grilled chicken, I have done a whole Ham, Chicken Marinara, and much more.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Slot Fish

A few years ago, I forgot to purchase the entire second page of my checklist. No toilet paper, paper towels, etc. That was a rough year!
Old 07-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Unicorn View Post
A few years ago, I forgot to purchase the entire second page of my checklist. No toilet paper, paper towels, etc. That was a rough year!
No toilet paper is definitely a trip wrecker. Me and a buddy were grouse hunting way back in the bush once and he had to go. Asked if I had paper which I didn't used to carry back then. No green leaves to be found. I noted the nice new pair of fuzzy yellow work gloves he just bought. He came back out of the brush only sporting one but said it worked quite well.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-V16 View Post
No toilet paper is definitely a trip wrecker. Me and a buddy were grouse hunting way back in the bush once and he had to go. Asked if I had paper which I didn't used to carry back then. No green leaves to be found. I noted the nice new pair of fuzzy yellow work gloves he just bought. He came back out of the brush only sporting one but said it worked quite well.
Again.....diaper wipes, never leave home without them!