Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
marking fish - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Slot Fish

Default marking fish

I was marking a ton of fish on my sonar today suspended in 22 fow. Tried crankbaits, jigs, spinner with crawler nothing worked. Is there times when fish just won't bite? It was sunny and about 80 with no wind. The marks looked like walleyes but i guess i will never know. Kind of frustating!!!
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Wallhanger

Yeah...sometimes they don't bite. If you can tell fish species on your sonar....you need to share that secret!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Slot Fish

I have an hds 8 and the lines were about 2 inches going at 1mph. In my experience walleyes show as lines and crappies/sunnies as little blue arches or blobs depending how closely schooled they are. I have nothing to base this on of course except what I see and then what I catch.
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund1993 View Post
In my experience walleyes show as lines and crappies/sunnies as little blue arches or blobs depending how closely schooled they are.

WALLEYES WILL SHOW AS ARCHES (PENDING THE SIZE).... NORHERNS WILL SHOW AS SLANTED LINES (PENDING THE SIZE ALSO) AND BASS/CRAPPIES (PANFISH) WILL SHOW AS ROUND BLOPS AND BAIT FISH WILL SHOW AS A RED/BLUE CLUMP.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by black white face View Post

WALLEYES WILL SHOW AS ARCHES (PENDING THE SIZE).... NORHERNS WILL SHOW AS SLANTED LINES (PENDING THE SIZE ALSO) AND BASS/CRAPPIES (PANFISH) WILL SHOW AS ROUND BLOPS AND BAIT FISH WILL SHOW AS A RED/BLUE CLUMP.

And what does Sheephead, Carp, Catfish show up as? Not only Northerns show up as slanted lines but so do Sturgeon and Gar.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
And what does Sheephead, Carp, Catfish show up as? Not only Northerns show up as slanted lines but so do Sturgeon and Gar.

I would have no idea on that because they are not in the waters that I fish. U must river fish?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Slot Fish

Sonar can give you an idea as to what the fish might be, but no one can say anything definitively. Boat, fish movement, wave action, water variables etc. make it just too hard at this point in technology.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Keeper

Default marking fish

I am pretty sure that the species of fish has nothing to do with way they show up on your fish finders. There is a couple different factors that determine how fish show up on our sonar. Speed and how far into the cone from your transducer the fish travels through it. If you drive directly over a fish at a couple miles an hour the fish should show up as a nice sweeping arch. If you are anchored and the fish is sitting directly under you and not moving, the fish should be a continuous line on your sonar. It all depends on speed and how the fish enters and exits the cone from the transducer. If you change your sonar options to fish I.d. your fish marks will all look like sunnies! Ha ha
Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Keeper

One time on Ft.Peck I spent 2 1/2 hours working on a school of "walleyes" at one of our big fish spots.Finally got bit.Big fish,wouldn't come up.It ended up being a sumo drum.The marks looked just like walleyes,they were on the right spot on the break,they just weren't walleyes.Bill
Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman44 View Post
I am pretty sure that the species of fish has nothing to do with way they show up on your fish finders. There is a couple different factors that determine how fish show up on our sonar. Speed and how far into the cone from your transducer the fish travels through it. If you drive directly over a fish at a couple miles an hour the fish should show up as a nice sweeping arch. If you are anchored and the fish is sitting directly under you and not moving, the fish should be a continuous line on your sonar. It all depends on speed and how the fish enters and exits the cone from the transducer. If you change your sonar options to fish I.d. your fish marks will all look like sunnies! Ha ha
x2...

Tags
crankbait , crawler , sonar , walleye