Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Red lake, Ontario ice out/Opener - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Slot Fish

thats why i go in august. too old for that stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Keeper

Default Update

Just wanted to put this back at the top to see how the ice is progressing. I have been watching the weather and see it is still winter around the Red Lake areas.

TonyO
Old 04-09-2013, 06:35 AM

I wonder historically if there has been a year when the opening week was lost to ice. A few years back our resort at Gullrock said it would be iffy and gave us permission to look at other options if we wished. As it turned out his bay was open on Saturday and the lake opened by Sunday. Tackelman, maybe you can recall a "lost" opening week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 AM
Keeper

In 1995 our group was frozen out of the opener. We fished LOTW. The ice in Sabaskong Bay was out but our resort was located about 15 miles east of Angle Inlet and that area was still socked in with ice. The ice went out Monday after the opener but we had to make other arrangements in order to utilize scheduled vacations. I would guess the ice-out was late that year on several bodies of water, especially as far north as Gullrock and Red Lake .

Last edited by Ia Walihntr; 04-09-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Wallhanger

Default Updated Information

Heard from my outfitter this morning. It's going to be close. Our group is going in May 17 and our lake is shallow, which means it breaks up earlier than deeper lakes. There's still around 30" of ice and a lot of snow on top of the ice. Around a foot of snow is sitting on roof of cabins.

Come early May, we'll need sunshine and strong wind.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Wallhanger

Default NW end of Lac Seul

The average ice-out for the NE end of LS is May 5th. This winter looks to be like the 2011 one, the 2012 was very early ice-out! Things always have a way of averaging out.
Of course; the closer May comes and the countdown begins to get serious, we have a need to know whats going on with our little piece of Canadian Heaven!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Wallhanger

this is a Lac Seul opener, it says it was 4 yrs ago but not sure from dating back from what year it was posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o4sxhRbFyI

Last edited by Glenman12; 04-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Wallhanger

Minus 20 deg C in Wpg this morn....cant imagine Red Lake much different. Aint nothing melting except for the expectation of a normal ice out. This is one of the longest....coldest springs I can remember. All can change pretty quick tho.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Keeper

a few years ago I went to Eagle Lake for the opener and we had ice on the lake the evening before opening day, woke up in the morning and it was gone. we made it up the creek to Clearwater lake for trout and when we got there only the first bay was open and there were large cracks between ice flows on the lake and each crack had a lodge boat fishing it.

all it would take would be a little wind and those boats would have been trapped or maybe crushed, we turned around and headed back into eagle.

as far as gullrock our ice out records show the south bay on gullrock, where I live, had ice out on May 20 1996, May 18 1997, and May 25 2000.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Keeper

Default Update

Thanks for the update guys.

I find it interesting to watch from year to year how different springs can be.

The late ice out makes the fishing from our resorts docks great entertainment in the evenings while enjoying an adult beverage, watching the sun set over Gullrock lake.

TonyO

Tags
ice out , red lake