Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Red lake, Ontario ice out/Opener - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Evergreensam

Default Ice conditions

Was ice fishing Monday afternoon about 35 Km NE of Ear Falls on a small bush lake. The snow off my trapping rail was a foot and a half deep and we drilled a good 3 feet of hard ice to fish. Dark water lake, bright sun and walleye bit like crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreensam View Post
Was ice fishing Monday afternoon about 35 Km NE of Ear Falls on a small bush lake. The snow off my trapping rail was a foot and a half deep and we drilled a good 3 feet of hard ice to fish. Dark water lake, bright sun and walleye bit like crazy.
wow..thats a lot of ice..looking at the long range til the 1st week in May I don't see a lot of good melting days either..
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Keeper

It,s going to be close. The flyin guys may lose the first couple of weeks but down south things should be open, A late spawn and the big girls are going to take a beating this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Wallhanger

Best to pick a shallow lake to fish and have a river to fly from.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Minnow

Smile Too Early to Worry

The ice can go out so quickly with sun, wind, or rain. It is the last bit of ice that can be so frustrating and can hang on for days without some drastic weather happening. So far though the weather remains chilly and the ice is up to the auger handle on Red Lake. Great ice fishing weather and good going on the lake for now.
I would like to say to you guys who "worry" A good day fishing in any weather easily beats a day at work. Lake ice in your drink is a good thing. Being here to watch the ice go out in a strong wind is a great adventure. Like wise with dodging ice floes to get to a fishing spot.
The guys who have turned up in the past, despite a bit of ice, have all had a good time. The worst that has happened to us in 65 years of operation is that a few groups had to change camps to where the ice was gone or in one case delay flying out by a day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158small.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	27841  
Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enid Elizabeth View Post
The ice can go out so quickly with sun, wind, or rain. It is the last bit of ice that can be so frustrating and can hang on for days without some drastic weather happening. So far though the weather remains chilly and the ice is up to the auger handle on Red Lake. Great ice fishing weather and good going on the lake for now.
I would like to say to you guys who "worry" A good day fishing in any weather easily beats a day at work. Lake ice in your drink is a good thing. Being here to watch the ice go out in a strong wind is a great adventure. Like wise with dodging ice floes to get to a fishing spot.
The guys who have turned up in the past, despite a bit of ice, have all had a good time. The worst that has happened to us in 65 years of operation is that a few groups had to change camps to where the ice was gone or in one case delay flying out by a day.
It's good having a professional join the forum.

I've been following your blog, just about every day. Thanks for the effort you put into it.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Slot Fish

Our group is flying in to Larus Lake in May, and it looks like we could be cutting it close. I can remember one other spring (I think it was 2004), with ice cold water and freezing temps., the only place we could find the walleyes was in the inlet creek areas--we motored several hundred yards up the inlet creek, and the walleyes were in there thick. Last year was one of the earliest springs ever--I think we had 70 degree+ weather all week, with brilliant sunshine. Every year is different, that's what makes it great!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan walleye guy View Post
Our group is flying in to Larus Lake in May, and it looks like we could be cutting it close. I can remember one other spring (I think it was 2004), with ice cold water and freezing temps., the only place we could find the walleyes was in the inlet creek areas--we motored several hundred yards up the inlet creek, and the walleyes were in there thick. Last year was one of the earliest springs ever--I think we had 70 degree+ weather all week, with brilliant sunshine. Every year is different, that's what makes it great!
Larus lake as in the Larus Lake through Nestor Falls? I'll be flying with them to Clear in early June, but some of our group is planning on going to Malahar for the opening week.

I agree it will be cutting it close.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Wallhanger

Still 3ft of ice with lots of snow on top in Dryden.It's going to be cold at night for the next 2 weeks -8c to -12c.Day time highs of +3c to +6c.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
It's good having a professional join the forum.

I've been following your blog, just about every day. Thanks for the effort you put into it.
yep..read Enids blog everyday..though she's 90 miles or so north of where we go we can I can get an idea of how iceout is going...keep em coming Enid..

Last edited by Glenman12; 04-11-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: xx

Tags
ice out , red lake