Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2017 Warrior 1980 Tiller - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Minnow

I just put down a deposit on this boat and was wondering if anybody has any first hand knowledge with them as I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything. It is a new 2017 (last year model carry over) Warrior 1890 and is powered by a 90HP Yamaha. My main concern is if I will have enough power for myself and two other guys, especially on bigger water like Mille Lacs, Winnie, or LOW if the wind is blowing. Do any of you guys own this boat with the 90?

I love everything else about the boat, but want to make sure I am not going to be disappointed with this motor ( would be an expensive mistake). Thank you in advance for any input! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/cheers.gif[/IMG]

Last edited by westmetrowalleye; 04-01-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Wrong model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Default Great Boat

Under powered? All depends on your expectations! A speed demon it is not! Hole shot will be acceptable! Smooth ride, great fishing platform for 3 guys! When they were allowed to put more HP on them the 115 was a great match and the 140 Suzi made it awesome!
As to disappointment, only you can decide!
Old 04-01-2018, 09:22 AM
Minnow

Thanks for your input! My expectations are for an acceptable hole shot as you stated and cruising speeds of 30-35. I would be disappointed having a hard time getting on plane with three guys and gear and having to have my fishing buddies head to the front of boat to get nose down. I wish I could still get the 115 on a new model. The 90 is more than a 20% reduction horsepower and that is my concern. Does anybody own this combo or have first hand knowledge? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

Check over on In-Depth Outdoors .com They are closely aligned with Skeeter Boat Center who now also sell Warriors. I'm sure somebody over there has run one. I wouldn't be overly concerned. My 115 Yamaha pushes my 20' Skeeter just fine. You will need to mess around getting it propped correctly but then you will be a happy camper!

Congrats on the new rig.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Keeper

Sent you a PM. I bought one last year.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I'm a little confused. Did they lower the HP rating for the OP's new boat? If so, why?

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 04-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default Yes

Several years ago. due to coast guard regs
Old 04-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

If you have any trouble getting on plane, reduce the pitch of the prop on the engine by buying a new prop.

With this boat and motor and the expected heavy load, I would suggest that you prop down to a 15 pitch prop. when you get the 15 pitch prop be sure to buy a prop that has the largest diameter that will still fit under the cavitation plate. The larger prop diameter gives you a bigger prop disk to push more water when moving a heavy load. You want to try to get at least a 14 inch diameter prop.

You might consider the Yamaha SDS prop in either aluminum or Stainless. Perhaps an aluminum to verify the necessary pitch and if happy with it move to a stainless if it works well for you.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...eller-families

Yamaha outboards work really well with Yamaha props.

You will have no trouble getting on plane and with that pitch will be a 28-32 mph boat which will work just fine for a tiller

The warrior is one of the best riding, driest and best fishing boats for straight tracking and for wonderful trolling.

Great find.

Enjoy.

Last edited by REW; 04-01-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Minnow

Default 1890

I had a 2014 1890 with a 90 hp Mercury 4 stroke before Mercury came out with the command thrust motor. I put a hydrofoil on the motor to help with hole shot and that helped a lot when fishing alone. When I had one or two more guys in the boat hole shot was fine. I think the Yamaha is a better motor, comparable or better on that boat than the Mercury. If speed isn't a big issue, you'll love that boat, Dry, smooth, and well designed for fishing. Great for trolling. IF you get troll control for the Yamaha, you'll be able to troll plugs all day with the big motor. Get the Warrior hydraulic steering. Makes long runs much more comfortable. I ultimately traded my 1890 for a 2090 with a 250 Suzuki. Same ride and comfort, but more room and storage. Extra power is nice.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Wallhanger

You may like this article https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/com...th-f90-yamaha/

Tags
1980 , tiller , warrior , yamaha