Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Boat, Lund? looking for insight - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Slot Fish

Question New Boat, Lund? looking for insight

Hello all.
I'm in the market for a new boat this spring. Figured I'd start the process now so I can have it before July... (not sure how long it might take if it needs to be ordered).
I currently have an Alumacraft Dominator 16' w/ 40 hp Johnson tiller. While I like this boat a lot, it serves well for 1 child and my wife. I now have two kids and it's harder to keep everyone in place while running. Thus it's time for a full console and bigger boat.
I'm leaning towards a new boat because I'm going to need some financing. (recommendations for duration and current interest rates if anyone knows)
Main use would be the Mississippi River Pools 7-8 but multiple trips to big reservoirs such as castle rock WI, Chippewa Flowage, Chemageon Bay, Turtle Flambeau etc.

Price point ~ $30,000 usd
Boat length - ~17-18'
HP - 115 (maybe would entertain a 90HP but would like to hear real world feed back with handling and speed)
Full walkthrough windshield
Decent rod storage
Family friendly and big enough to grow with, including skiing for the kids eventually. Also will need a bimini top for the wife and kids.
I would get the Terrova 80 lb trolling motor. I have a Helix 7 for the bow but would get a Helix 10/9 with SI for the console.

With all that being said I'm leaning towards the Lund Adventure 1775 with the Merc Pro XS 115. I Can't find a lot of reviews since they are new but I've seen a few walkthroughs.

How do Lunds deep-v's perform in real world settings? get on plane easy? Keep you dry while running? handle big waves/water easy? How compared to Alumacraft/Lowe/crestliner/ranger aluminum?

How has MM been recently for problems or defects specifically with that ProXS? I've always been a Yamaha guy but I'm not going to get picking now-a-days.
I've also priced out a Lowe in similar styles but I'm unsure with the flip up back bench/casting deck. Or with the bimini top storage. They also set up around 1k more MSRP.

I guess I'm asking for any insight with the above listed and just new boat buying guidelines. I've only ever owned used boats.

Thanks all,
Sled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled_22 View Post
Hello all.
I'm in the market for a new boat this spring. Figured I'd start the process now so I can have it before July... (not sure how long it might take if it needs to be ordered).
I currently have an Alumacraft Dominator 16' w/ 40 hp Johnson tiller. While I like this boat a lot, it serves well for 1 child and my wife. I now have two kids and it's harder to keep everyone in place while running. Thus it's time for a full console and bigger boat.
I'm leaning towards a new boat because I'm going to need some financing. (recommendations for duration and current interest rates if anyone knows)
Main use would be the Mississippi River Pools 7-8 but multiple trips to big reservoirs such as castle rock WI, Chippewa Flowage, Chemageon Bay, Turtle Flambeau etc.

Price point ~ $30,000 usd
Boat length - ~17-18'
HP - 115 (maybe would entertain a 90HP but would like to hear real world feed back with handling and speed)
Full walkthrough windshield
Decent rod storage
Family friendly and big enough to grow with, including skiing for the kids eventually. Also will need a bimini top for the wife and kids.
I would get the Terrova 80 lb trolling motor. I have a Helix 7 for the bow but would get a Helix 10/9 with SI for the console.

With all that being said I'm leaning towards the Lund Adventure 1775 with the Merc Pro XS 115. I Can't find a lot of reviews since they are new but I've seen a few walkthroughs.

How do Lunds deep-v's perform in real world settings? get on plane easy? Keep you dry while running? handle big waves/water easy? How compared to Alumacraft/Lowe/crestliner/ranger aluminum?

How has MM been recently for problems or defects specifically with that ProXS? I've always been a Yamaha guy but I'm not going to get picking now-a-days.
I've also priced out a Lowe in similar styles but I'm unsure with the flip up back bench/casting deck. Or with the bimini top storage. They also set up around 1k more MSRP.

I guess I'm asking for any insight with the above listed and just new boat buying guidelines. I've only ever owned used boats.

Thanks all,
Sled.
There are dealers that will rig a Yamaha if that's the brand you really want. In Jan. I ordered a 1775 Impact with a Yamaha 115HP VMax, check out my New Boat Ordered thread. Interest rates will be determined by your credit score. With the options you're looking for you might get into an Adventure for 30k. Something to consider is items you can purchase separately and install your self will save you money by not adding it to your loan. Good luck and enjoy the research.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:09 PM
Wallhanger

The 1775 Adventure sure grabbed attention at the boat shows I worked at this winter. .
Good layout and storage... with many of the most popular features of Lund's more expensive boats.

As for the Merc 115 ProXS... It has been out for several years now and is hard to beat. in performance or reliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Wallhanger

Just watched the video on that Lund, its a nice boat. Have you compared it to this https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=4291
I know its a tracker, I just noticed its a foot wider than the Lund and a little cheaper with the 115. The wider beam may make it ride a little rougher in a boat that size, but it should be more stable at rest. The Lund will hold its value well so you need to consider that also. Really I would go sit in a bunch of different boats with your wife. I would say the 115 is a must for skiers. Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Wallhanger

Before you spend your money,physically look at as many boats as you can. Start out at the
so called lower end and work your way up to the top of the line, take notes then make your decision. By all means take your wife, it will pay off BIG TIME in the end. I recently purchased my Tracker, after looking at the Ranger VS 1670 at Cablea's in Acworth Ga and am very happy with the boat. I was not able to actually look at the Alumacraft,Crestliner and Lund as the dealers only had the brochure to work off of. I actually fished out of a 2018 Tracker Pro Guide V175 Combo with a 90 Merc owned by a friend of mine this past spring and was impressed with the boat. If I would not have trouble getting it thru my garage door I would (per my wife) own one with either the 115 or the 150. Matter of fact when I purchasing my boat Tracker Marine had a 2019 Pro Guide V175 Combo with a 150 hp Merc and ski pole for a shade over $31,000. If there is a Cabela's near you, check with them to see if they have a Ranger VS 17xx or a Tracker Pro Guide for you to actually look at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1664.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	544.1 KB
ID:	307826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1662.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	307828  

Last edited by fishin10; 03-05-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:54 PM
Slot Fish

Great advice and I do plan to shop around. Lund resale was a definitely something I find value in. I sat in a tracker v175 at a boat show and it didn’t seem to trip my trigger. I just wasn’t sold on the flip up rear bench seating/casting deck. I feel like it’d interfere with a blimini top storage. Do you have a better picture of how the interior lays out in the rear with your top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terrova 80 I-pilot link
Old 03-05-2019, 06:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled_22 View Post
Great advice and I do plan to shop around. Lund resale was a definitely something I find value in. I sat in a tracker v175 at a boat show and it didn’t seem to trip my trigger. I just wasn’t sold on the flip up rear bench seating/casting deck. I feel like it’d interfere with a blimini top storage. Do you have a better picture of how the interior lays out in the rear with your top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not have a top on my boat...in the photo of me sitting in my friends boat, his top lays across the back. There are some great boats out there to be had, I'm sure you find the right one to fit your needs. My choices were limited due to where I live. If I lived up north where there is a much larger selection, I might have purchased another brand. Resale was not a factor for me as I'm 67 and expect to own my current boat for a long time.

Last edited by fishin10; 03-05-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin10 View Post
I do not have a top on my boat...in the photo of me sitting in my friends boat, his top lays across the back. There are some great boats out there to be had, I'm sure you find the right one to fit your needs. My choices were limited due to where I live. If I lived up north where there is a much larger selection, I might have purchased another brand. Resale was not a factor for me as I'm 67 and expect to own my current boat for a long time.

Ahh. Fair enough. It is quite a bit cheaper. The boat show price I had onto with a 150 was about what I’d figure a dealer price for the Lund to be. https://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...7766131820.jpg
Seemed like a good deal at the time. Should have left the kids at home and pulled the trigger after a few beverages haha.
Terrova 80 I-pilot link
Old 03-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Wallhanger

Not familiar with the new model will have to check out it out.
115 for sure if any water sports and a full load.

Check a few credit unions for rates and model years for said rates. They vary a lot.

Used sure buy a ton more boat with more options. If you don’t buy lund and or wait for a deal even more so.
BT terrova link
Old 03-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Look at this ad for the 1775 Adventure, it shows how the top stores.

https://www.fishandhuntshop.com/inve...49820-2445083i

HRG

ps; where are you located? It looks like my dealer has 4 of them in stock

Last edited by Hot Runr Guy; 03-05-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Tags
lund , new boat buying