Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Root Bay on St. Joe or Minniss: Slate Falls Outposts - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Minnow

Default Root Bay on St. Joe or Minniss: Slate Falls Outposts

Been fishing in Canada 8 times but our group is doing a Fly-In for the first time. Leaning pretty hard towards Slate Falls Outposts. Going mid-July to front part of August. My 10 year old son's first trip up north and bringing both Grandpas with a ton of trips under their belts. Any recommendations on which lake to go with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2016, 05:53 PM
Wallhanger

I'm in a good position to comment. I fished Eagle Island on St. Joe last year with Slate Falls and was just at Miniss with Slate Falls Sept 11-17.

Both would be great, but I'd probably lean towards Miniss. It's an incredible lake - large but with a crazy number of islands so there's no big wide open stretches of water. Problem if there is one, the amount of interesting structure to fish is almost overwhelming. We did very well though including one rainy day when we put way over 200 walleyes in the boat. Trophy pike were caught as well.
As expected Slate Fall's cabin on Miniss was fantastic. Verne is a notch above most Ontario outfitters.

I'll have a detailed write up done on the Miniss trip probably within a week or so.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Borger View Post
I'm in a good position to comment. I fished Eagle Island on St. Joe last year with Slate Falls and was just at Miniss with Slate Falls Sept 11-17.

Both would be great, but I'd probably lean towards Miniss. It's an incredible lake - large but with a crazy number of islands so there's no big wide open stretches of water. Problem if there is one, the amount of interesting structure to fish is almost overwhelming. We did very well though including one rainy day when we put way over 200 walleyes in the boat. Trophy pike were caught as well.
As expected Slate Fall's cabin on Miniss was fantastic. Verne is a notch above most Ontario outfitters.

I'll have a detailed write up done on the Miniss trip probably within a week or so.
Mike, can't wait for your Miniss report! 200 walleyes! I'm salivating! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Keeper

You cannot go wrong with either lake, for sure. And, Slate Falls and Verne are the best. Have fun!
Old 09-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Wallhanger

Default Different outfitters same lake.

I was on Miniss Lake last September, flying in with Hidden Bay Lodge.
Great outfitters, and even better fishing! The walleyes are fat, healthy and full of fight!
From what Mike Bolger has written you can't go wrong with either outfitter! Life has such tough decisions to make!
Old 10-02-2016, 12:26 PM

Thumbs up

Can 't go wrong with fishing on Miniss. We have had some of the best fishing in our lives there.

It's a beautiful lake with alot of fun aggressive fish.

St Joe is probably a great option but look like to much open water for our groups liking.

We have used both Vern and Hidden Bay Lodge at Miniss. Both do a great job.

One year with Guardian Eagle, would not do that again. Go with the other 2.

We went this summer with Hidden Bay again. Their hospitality is outstanding and we really enjoy their food included plan they offer. Just arrive at their base in Sioux Lookout and select the food options with their staff to be sent to the cabin with you. No hassles of going food shopping for the group. Just one stop to pick up the duty free beer and booze at the border. Does not get easier than that!

You will have great fishing with either one you choose!

Rob

Tags
fly-in , sfo , slate falls , walleye fishing