Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Engle or the new Frabill Magnum bait station ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2019, 07:09 AM
Keeper

Default Engle or the new Frabill Magnum bait station ?

I have been researching the the differences between these 2 . Noisy pump on the engle ? Other wise a solid unit. Now the new Frabill Magnum not finding much on these . Not finding any in stores like Fleet, L&M ,Scheels? The you tube videos are all i can find . Anyone have any real time use of the the new Frabill ? I like the fact the air pump is integrated into the lid . Any thoughts would be appreciated Thanks Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Engle 19 qt. and like it very much. My son wanted the Frabil unit and I bought it for him as a gift. Comparing the two I prefer the Engle. Fit and finish was better (latches etc.). The pump placement is better on the Frabil and it is quieter but I have not had a problem with my Engle as once minnows are in it it usually is sitting on the floor overnight or in the boat. I don't even notice the noise or let it bother me but I can see how it would for some people. Both are good units just a matter of personal preference. Maybe take a couple of D batteries to the store and check noise level. Look them over before you buy, I don't think you will be disappointed in either. PS. I have seen them in Fleet Farm and Gander in Wausau and Stevens Point stores.

Last edited by peter8; 03-03-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:27 AM
Minnow

I can’t comment on the frabill. I didn’t even know it existed.
I do however have the engel 19qt cooler. It works great and is pretty dang tough. The aerator pump is pretty loud though. I replaced mine with a pump from hush bubbles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter8 View Post
I have a Engle 19 qt. and like it very much. My son wanted the Frabil unit and I bought it for him as a gift. Comparing the two I prefer the Engle. Fit and finish was better (latches etc.). The pump placement is better on the Frabil and it is quieter but I have not had a problem with my Engle as once minnows are in it it usually is sitting on the floor overnight or in the boat. I don't even notice the noise or let it bother me but I can see how it would for some people. Both are good units just a matter of personal preference. Maybe take a couple of D batteries to the store and check noise level. Look them over before you buy, I don't think you will be disappointed in either. PS. I have seen them in Fleet Farm and Gander in Wausau and Stevens Point stores.
Thank you i will have check again next time we get down there .
Old 03-03-2019, 06:54 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I can’t comment on the frabill. I didn’t even know it existed.
I do however have the engel 19qt cooler. It works great and is pretty dang tough. The aerator pump is pretty loud though. I replaced mine with a pump from hush bubbles.
Debating to get the 19qt , quite heavy fully loaded ? Looks like i need to compare side by side .
Old 03-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Guest Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter8 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. The new Frabill has the pump integrated into the lid and thought was given to placement. They have resolved many of the issues that frustrate me with my Engel to the point that I am going to replace it with a Frabill unit. Viewed at the St Paul ice show and was impressed. Will say the color scheme is horrid, though.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:50 AM
Keeper

Default cooler

The thing that bother me is a review on Cabelas about air building up inside unit after running 15 minutes? You would think there would be some kind of relief valve ?
Old 03-04-2019, 08:29 AM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Aluma View Post
Debating to get the 19qt , quite heavy fully loaded ? Looks like i need to compare side by side .
I have been using the 19s for several years mostly here in AZ where heat is a factor , no complaints , the new models have a net in them that can be retrofitted to the older models and have the air tube coming in the top also a retrofit possibility on the older models where it comes in n the side . I can say that in temperature's up to 98 we add a frozen water bottle about mid day and no problems . Have not used the Frabil may try the smallest one for mobile use but so far no problems with Engel . I can say the pump has 2 speeds and can be noisy ( have run one on the small batteries for 30 plus hours on low speed because the 12 volt adapter crappped out , Engle replaced it no charge no problems) but in warm weather I want to know that it is running so the noise is a plus maybe not so much for cold weather use . another plus for the Engel , if your fishing buddy knocks out the 12 volt connection it will switch to d batteries on its own (do not ask )
Old 03-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Wallhanger

I have the 19 QT Engel and am very happy with it. I agree that the Frabill design for where the pump goes is better. That said, every Frabil pump I have owned has never lasted as long as it seems it should. My Engle has done well with no issues.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Wallhanger

Add one more fan of the Engel 19qt. I've had to replace my pump once, but I have it running more than most do, I think. It runs for a couple of days to over a week at a time every summer, probably about 40 days I'm guessing. I don't mean all day, I mean a 24hr day. It's a pretty rough road from our camper back to town for bait, so I stock up on the way in and keep a lot of minnows alive for days no matter the weather.