Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lake McConaughy 6.1.2019 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 06-03-2019, 10:05 PM
Slot Fish

Default Lake McConaughy 6.1.2019

Big Mac continues to challenge me with locations of fish and techniques changing daily. This weekend, I found the water to be fairly clear on the middle to the eastern part of the lake. I found a few active fish still pretty deep, being 25-30’ down, even though there was a decent walkeye chop. I caught a few water sized fish but it was slow. I tried all the normal spots on both the north and south sides of the lake. On a whim, I went way west, to the mouth of the river. There were no fishermen in there, the water was chocolate milk and 5 degrees warmer. I fished the drop off to the river channel, working the trash filled flats and found them, after searching all day. We caught about 20 fish in 1.5 hrs, focusing on 10’ or less of water. Biggest fish was 24”, with the rest averaging 17-19”.

We trolled the dam at dark and only caught one 27” eye long lining crankbaits . Before dark, we hit the rocky banks for smallmouths. We caught and released about 15 fish in an hour. They were from 12” to 20” and a blast on light tackle. Don’t be afraid to search new areas, and not follow the rest of the boats, it may make the difference between going home with one fish, or getting a limit.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Pulled by 2012 Chevy 2500HD Dmax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 06:57 AM
Keeper

Nice report. I have used the same approach at pueblo reservoir in colorado as some spots have alot of boats and will never catch a keeper so I have found small productive areas with no boats. This has paid off. I plan on eventually making the drive to McConaughy later this summer. Thank you for the report.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Minnow

525 Thanks for the report.

I was told that the west end was where it was happening but I was unable to make the trip because of time constraints. I fished the east end and played with the smallies.

The alewife have moved onto the rocks, so the bigger fish should be keying on them at some time during the day. When the wind stated blowing Saturday pm I thought that would turn them on, but I was unable to catch a walleye off the rocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 04:44 PM
Slot Fish

I have had my best success in low light conditions when the alewives are spawning. Either dawn or dusk or shallow wind driven murky water. I think the fish are about 2-3,weeks behind their normal migration patterns due to some nasty late cold fronts. It should start producing any day. IMO
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Pulled by 2012 Chevy 2500HD Dmax