Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul - Onaway Lodge Report 5/31 - 6/7 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-10-2019, 07:26 AM
Minnow

Default Lac Seul - Onaway Lodge Report 5/31 - 6/7

Cold, wet, and windy was the summary of the first half of our trip. We have a lot of 2nd/3rd shifters in our group so our fishing schedule is basically opposite of the rest of the camp. We typically head out at 3 or 4pm and fish until 11pm. That schedule seemed to work out well in our favor this year. On the night before we left, we had heard some groups were just getting their first fish fry in. I am assuming some of that was just a lack of experience on the lake. Fishing overall was tough. With the exception of one night on broad lake, we never really found a "hot spot" that produced non-stop. It was consistent though throughout most of the days where fishing was still great. We were using jigs and minnows in 8-12 FOW. Tried to use the 1/8 oz as much as possible but wind made it tough at times. Forgot how much more you get snagged up in that lake when using jigs more than 1/8th oz. Weather turned warm mid week into the 70's and surprisingly, fishing went DEAD. Patience paid off that day (Wednesday) at a point when we had 10 in the boat a little after 8pm. We found a gradual drop-off in Broad Lake and out of nowhere, it turned on. 3 guys caught over 60 walleye in less than an hour, quality size fish included. Would have been more but we couldn't push the remaining light any further with the drive back to camp. Overall, fishing was one of the more challenging weeks we had, but still an incredible trip (as always). Big walleye of the week was 28". Also hooked myself for the first time with a crankbait while trying to get a pike off. Lesson learned, always use pliers with those treble hooks, just too many to get you. Don't need the feeling of pulling that barb through again! Best of luck to anyone heading out this season. Regardless of the fishing, these trips never disappoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the report. I heard from another person that was there that same week & they also said fishing was really slow except for Wednesday.

Count down is on......5 weeks to go to our trip to Lac Seul!

RBF ❤️🎣🇨🇦
Old 06-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Keeper

Not sure how lac seul can have slow fishing comparatively. Relative to itself, maybe, but complete ice out was like 2 days before opener. Too me that means fishing extremely close to where there are spawning fish. After hearing and reading from people that were up in Ontario the first 2 weeks of walleye, I would say not enough people can adapt to the given water temps and stages of spawning. There is no way that all the walleyes in a system just stop biting for 2 weeks, it’s just that people don’t go where the fish are when they spawn. The most walleyes I catch down in wi on the walleye opener is when the ice goes out really late. Reason being, I know rite where they will be and it’s at least half the walleyes in the system in a relatively small area. There’s a reason why u can walk across boats on the Fox in depere for almost a month in the spring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 06:46 AM
Minnow

I should mention slow considering Lac Seul standards. We still caught more than enough for our fish fry every day and had plenty of good fishing throughout the week. However, in the past, we have done much better on that lake. Even your traditional spawning locations were slower than usual, ie. Broad Lake, north end of McKenzie Bay. There were groups that were truly struggling and I attribute that to lack of experience on the lake. Even the more experienced groups though that have been coming for decades said it was tougher fishing. Still better fishing that I can get anywhere close to Michigan so no complaints from me!