Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I am sick of buying dehumidifiers - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 06-13-2021, 07:15 PM
Wallhanger

Consider paying for the purchase with a credit card that extends the manufacturer warranty
for 2 additional years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2021, 05:07 AM
Wallhanger

I view these contraptions as disposable appliances. My failure rate has been every two to three years. I had to run one in Georgia all year round even though the basement was finished and had an AC unit dedicated to that level of the home.

I agree with Bill’s comment....death, taxes and dehumidifiers

PjShorthorn :rock-on:
Old 06-14-2021, 06:53 AM
Keeper

Up until 4 years ago had to run a dehumidifier in my basement during the summer. That spring I had my 20+ year old central air conditioner replaced and haven’t needed the dehumidifier since. The new unit is so much more efficient and much cheaper to run.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

Like I said in the other thread, I have been having good luck with 3 of them in basement, pole shed and church.

I'm no expert, but I think the biggest factor that contributes to an early death is excess running.

Does yours ever shut off? If not, either it's too small for the space (or you need another unit), or you have the target humidity set at an unreasonable level.

When I first put in my basement unit, I set it at 40% and it never shut off. I upped it to 45%, and now it shuts off. I think they can really get overworked trying to squeeze out too much humidity and that shortens their lifespan.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:19 AM
Wallhanger

My dehumidifier must be an anomaly or all dehumidifiers. It is a $200 old Whilpool that is at least 15 yers old. I'm surprised it has kept working, but it does. One thing I always do is take it apart and clean off the evaporator coils on both sides each year.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Looks like my 1-year old Honeywell TK70WKN has died also, thankfully it has a 5-year warranty.

HRG
Old 06-14-2021, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Baseline;6569662]My dehumidifier must be an anomaly or all dehumidifiers. It is a $200 old Whilpool that is at least 15 yers old. I'm surprised it has kept working, but it does. One thing I always do is take it apart and clean off the evaporator coils on both sides each year.[/QUOTE]

Not an anomaly, though I wouldn't be surprised if your annual cleaning helps. Much older dehumidifiers appear to have far better longevity on average than what's for sale these days, presumably because of the new ones' cheaply made Chinese compressors. I say bite the bullet and buy one that's expensive but genuinely American-made as it'll ultimately more than pay for itself, but I know a few people that have successfully hunted down old, used dehumidifiers that folks were getting rid of even though they still worked fine. That's obviously the best way to go, but what are the odds a person will find such when they go looking to replace their latest $200 piece of Chinese junk?

Gerry
Old 06-14-2021, 10:46 AM
holliswusamember

Why-not-do -the- air-conditioner-thing!

Probably more effective and more durable, and a somwehat cooler celler in summer.....
Old 06-14-2021, 02:21 PM
Slot Fish

I've had a Frigidaire 70pint in my basement for over ten years now. Granted it only works for 6 months of the year but it keeps chooching. Picked up a second one 2 years ago for my shop and it's exhibited no strange behavior.

I believe they might be like freezers and fridges in that you need to let them sit upright for a day or so before turning them on or you risk internal damage.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Install central air with particular attention paid to installing ducts in any area of the location that has had particular moisture and mold issues in past years.

Correctly sized central air will both keep yourself and other occupants cool, as well as keeping the humidity low everywhere the a/c ducts reach with good air flow out and return air back.

When ducting is installed, don't forget return air ducts. You want the system to have a continued flow of air into and return air out of - the affected area.

Sure, spend a few $$$$$$$$$$$ now, but then you don't have to worry about dehumidifiers and other similar issues.

Best wishes.