Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Upgrading to humminbird. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-07-2021, 05:16 PM
Keeper

Default Upgrading to humminbird.

Hey guys Iím looking at upgrading to humminbird. Let me tell you Iíve always been a lowrance guy. Honestly I donít utilize my electronics very well but I want to learn to be better as I know they can be a huge tool. Is the helix a good series? I was looking at a 7 or 8. Also on the website it says mega on some what does that mean? Are the humminbird pretty user friendly? How do they compare to lowrance price wise? Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2021, 08:43 PM
Keeper

The Helix are their best units in my opinion. The new gen 3 are really nice. Mega is super high resolution down and side imaging. As far as being user friendly... they arent bad. I think Lowrance is easier to use. Not sure how they compare on price.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:04 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
The Helix are their best units in my opinion. The new gen 3 are really nice. Mega is super high resolution down and side imaging. As far as being user friendly... they arent bad. I think Lowrance is easier to use. Not sure how they compare on price.
G4 are their new units.....G3 is a previous version but all are great units!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2021, 07:33 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post

Thank you for the information. I will tell you technology and me donít get a long the best. Am I going to struggle with a humminbird? Iím mad at lowrance right now. Reason being the donít offer any of the units anymore that arenít live. Not everyone wants or can afford the live units.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:23 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamefisher View Post
G4 are their new units.....
doh!
Old 08-08-2021, 08:14 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyetracker85 View Post
Thank you for the information. I will tell you technology and me donít get a long the best. Am I going to struggle with a humminbird? Iím mad at lowrance right now. Reason being the donít offer any of the units anymore that arenít live. Not everyone wants or can afford the live units.

The Menu system in the HELIX line is similar to your filing cabinet at home ... with main tabs across the top of the main Menu and then sub-items under each tab relating to the the title of each tab header ...

Rickie
Old 08-08-2021, 09:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
The Lowrance Elite FS is directly comparable to the Helix. Itís very user friendly, full touch screen, and will likely connect to your existing power cable. Theyíre available in 7Ē and 9Ē versions, and the pricing will be directly comparable to Hummingbird, I think they actually offer better bang for your buck.

Thereís also the Lowrance Hook lineup of entry level sonar units. Theyíre designed to be plug and play, just turn them on and fish.

Both are very good options depending on your budget and what you need or want from a sonar unit.

Iím not sure the Helix is an ďupgradeĒ on the Elite FS or the HDS Live, but it is a change.

Waxy
Old 08-09-2021, 12:07 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thank you for the information. I will tell you technology and me don’t get a long the best. Am I going to struggle with a humminbird? I’m mad at lowrance right now. Reason being the don’t offer any of the units anymore that aren’t live. Not everyone wants or can afford the live units.

"I think" Helix is buttons, Solix is touch screen, not sure if that makes Solix "better". they do the same things. Just spend the time to learn the electronics, you'll be fine. I have both Helix Gen 4 12's and HDS 9,12 and getting ready to wire the 621(HDS's) for birds as I want to "Link" my TM's to my Graphs. They are both great brands and great units. I think these 2 types of graphs are about the same price. It took a lot of work to learn the Lowrances but I did it. that being said, I'll likely sell my HDS 9 and 12 when done with the switchover this fall. If my Ulterra talked to my HDS's on the 621, I'd keep the HDS's. They are really nice. you will be real happy with birds, bt not sure they are "better" or much cheaper that Lowrance.

Last edited by kswalleyer; 08-09-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:14 PM
Keeper

I upgraded to a Helix 9" DI G4N this spring. I'm upgrading from 1st gen HDS units. I suggest sitting in the boat and using the simulation mode to set it up, the unit will remember your set up. Yes, there is a learning curve. The hardest part I have when bouncing from some price of hardware or software is trying to find the command, because it always has a different name. Time on the unit is the best way to learn it. The real manual is online.

I still have both units on my dash. The HDS is SI and sonar depth from the transom and the Helix runs the Ulterra and DI through the trolling motor.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:17 PM
Keeper

I'll be removing the HDS next year and replacing it with a Helix 10" SI G4N and linking it all. The graphics are awesome when next to the older HDS but it still works well.