Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance Active Target - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-27-2021, 06:49 PM
Keeper

Default Lowrance Active Target

I will be adding the Lowrance Active Target to a dedicated Lowrance Elite FS 9. I will be networking to the existing HDS 12 Live and a HDS 7 to have flexibility and ordered a Brew City pole mount system for the Active Target transducer. That will be mounted by the driver seat. Looks like it will be a good set up and location for how I fish and troll. I am looking for anyone who has mounted the Active Target system for reviews and possibly any tips for maximizing this technology. In particular I am curious if anyone has run this with trolling boards and been able to see lures and fish to the side and behind the boat. This will be used mostly for trolling for walleyes on Green Bay and Lake Erie. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2021, 11:47 AM
Slot Fish

A lot of the pros on the H2H tournament have them noted this way and they work well.
Lowrance HDS Live 9
Lowrance Elite7ti
Interstate batteries
Offshore planer boards
Mountain Dew bottle out back riggers
Old 09-03-2021, 12:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergiefish View Post
I will be adding the Lowrance Active Target to a dedicated Lowrance Elite FS 9. I will be networking to the existing HDS 12 Live and a HDS 7 to have flexibility and ordered a Brew City pole mount system for the Active Target transducer. That will be mounted by the driver seat. Looks like it will be a good set up and location for how I fish and troll. I am looking for anyone who has mounted the Active Target system for reviews and possibly any tips for maximizing this technology. In particular I am curious if anyone has run this with trolling boards and been able to see lures and fish to the side and behind the boat. This will be used mostly for trolling for walleyes on Green Bay and Lake Erie. Thanks in advance.
In order to network all 3 of those sonar units, and connect the Active Target, youíll need an Ethernet network expansion port. The Elite FS 9 and the Live 7 only have a single Ethernet port, so you can network them with the 12 using the dual port, but you wonít have a port for the Active Target. Alternatively, you can connect the Active Target to your FS 9, but then the FS 9 will not connect to your other 2 sonar units. The NEP port would solve your problem.

The Lowrance LiveSight transducer takes a lot of guff as being a dud, but in reality, itís a great tool for doing exactly what youíre describing. Itís one of the best kept secrets out there IMHO. FAR better than the Active Target for that purpose, and far less expensive. The LiveSight has a 35 degree cone angle, so it has a far bigger coverage area than the Active Target, which I believe is only 15 degrees. The LiveSight also works on a lower frequency, and will give you further distance to detect your boards/lures. Iíd mount it on a pole just as youíve described. I use it when Iím pulling bottom bouncers, and Iíve routinely watched fish swim up and take the bait, or follow it and not biteÖ

Itís not that it wonít work, but Active Target is intended more for use when casting and finer detail is required. The area youíre seeing is pretty small. Itíll definitely be more finicky trying to locate your lures and keep them in the ďwindowĒ where theyíre visible, especially as they get further from the boat.

Waxy