Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bilge Pumps - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2020, 05:43 PM
Minnow

Default Bilge Pumps

I have a question on how long a bilge pump can run dry without burning out, and shouldn't they be fused to prevent a meltdown? I accidentally hit the on switch without knowing and have no idea how long it ran. Smelled something hot from the rear battery area and shut down the main power switch. That is when I noticed that the bilge switch was on. I ran about another 10 miles back to my slip and did not smell anything on the way back once I had the switch off. How do I know if it is fried? Any thoughts or solutions are always appreciated.

Thank you,
36v Ulterra I pilot link
Minn Kota Deckhand
HB Helix10 CHIRP GPS G2N , 999ci hd si, 859ci hd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 05:51 PM
Wallhanger

Depends on the pump, but it doesn't take long. How do you test to see if it still works, garden hose and try it. Good luck, good thing they are not that expensive, easy to install, and available just about everywhere.
We have all done something similar if not worse.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:49 PM
Wallhanger

I've accidentally hit my bilge switch a number of times. Having done that and realizing the importance of testing the pump can not be understated. When fishing, I test my pump each morning before firing up the outboard. If I hear the pump running, I am reasonably confident it is operational. If it pumps water, and I know it hasn't rained, I know I have a leak to find and repair before casting off.
I agree with the other post. Put a few gallons of water in the bilge and turn on the pump. Good luck

Last edited by tandm; 05-13-2020 at 07:52 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 08:42 PM
Wallhanger

Mine ran for days last year. Had boat at our condo, and left for home for a few days. Started to rain right after I left. Went back there three days later, and herd a noise when I got out of my truck. Took the cover off, and saw that the auto bilge had come on, and not shut off, just kept running. Took it to the dealer when I went home, and it was still working. Didn't shoot water up in the air, just sort of came out, but kept up somewhat with the hose. It was running dry for days.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:59 PM
Wallhanger

I wouldnt fuse the bilge pump. Although there is risk of meltdown, that risk is less than a fuse breaking enabling your boat to sink.

For what it is worth my cartridge pump in my livewell which is the same style as my bilge pump melted down, deformed and caused a continuous leak. I replaced the 5 amp fuse on my livewell circuit with a 3 amp.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:29 PM
Wallhanger

I'd double check where you smelled something hot to make sure you don't have another issue.
I too have had my auto bilge run for a couple days and be fine. Although in that scenario there is still some water to "lubricate" the pump.
However after a drive way after storage cleaning I must have unknowingly turned the manual bilge on. It ran completely dry overnight and operates just fine to this day. That was 4 years ago.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:25 AM
Wallhanger

In my old '85 Grumman (owned for 30 years) I can't remember how many times I left either the bilge pump on or the livewell pump on after fishing Chautauqua Lake for early spring crappies. Then drive home for 1.75 hours before hearing the pump once I put the boat back in the garage.

The livewell pump quit working for me in Canada but it was over 20 years old at the time. Easy replacement once I got home.

The Bilge pump was still working when I traded the boat in 2015.

Oh ya, a few times I left the depth finder on too for the ride home........LOL
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-14-2020, 06:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboat View Post
I'd double check where you smelled something hot to make sure you don't have another issue.
I too have had my auto bilge run for a couple days and be fine. Although in that scenario there is still some water to "lubricate" the pump.
However after a drive way after storage cleaning I must have unknowingly turned the manual bilge on. It ran completely dry overnight and operates just fine to this day. That was 4 years ago.

Hope this helps.
This.

Check it, make sure it still works, but trace those wires and look for a "hot spot" (i.e. slightly melted plastic at a connection or wear spots in the wire shroud). The smell is the worrisome part.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:39 AM
Wallhanger

My Lund has the Johnson pumps that the pump just screws out of the housing. If you have the same I would just replace the motor piece. Unless the housing looks damaged. Bilge pumps are not known to last forever anyways. If yours came with a 750 GPh pump. You can even replace it with a 1000 gph in the same Johnson housing.

Last edited by Snowking; 05-14-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
I wouldnt fuse the bilge pump. Although there is risk of meltdown, that risk is less than a fuse breaking enabling your boat to sink.

For what it is worth my cartridge pump in my livewell which is the same style as my bilge pump melted down, deformed and caused a continuous leak. I replaced the 5 amp fuse on my livewell circuit with a 3 amp.
Absolutely need a fuse if not you could start a fire. A fire in the bilge area with a fuel cell is bad news.Believe all install instructions will show a fuse in the wiring.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel