Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Powder Paint Quality? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Slot Fish

Default Powder Paint Quality?

Looking to order some power paint for jigs. First time trying it. There is a wide range of prices for powder paint. Is there a big difference in quality of the different brands of paints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 07:53 PM
Minnow

Iíve been using CS Coatings PRO-TEC powder pain for about five years now. Canít speak for the other brands, but Iíve been pleased with the quality of PRO-TEC. I crank out a few Erie style stand up jigs every year before my annual voyage to Canada for the opener. Unless I loose a jig Iíll keep the same ones tied on all week (swap out my leader, not the jig). The coating is very durable, even banging off the rocks. And, unless you are making dozens of jigs for your buddies a single jar will go a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2018, 08:02 PM
CEUL

Most are pretty good. CS is OK, but top of the bottom of the barrel. You'd have to spend some serious $$$ and buy it by the pound in each color and clear to get top quality powder. Even for what's available for the basement pure maker, the biggest factor is FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS!!! When they recommend a certain time and temp, that is what is going to get you good results. Short cutting it on time or temp is going to give you jigs that chip and crack. Get an actual oven thermometer and don't go by the oven dial temp. Best investment you can make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Minnow

Got into pouring my own jigs and powder coating a few years ago. Have had very good luck with Pro-Tec powder paint and ordered quite a bit of it from TJ"s tackle. What's kind of nice is they send it in a slightly over sized jar so you have some room to dip the jig in and not get powder all over the place.

If you are going to order just a 2 ounce jar or two from them you might be better off buying it on eBay. I believe they go by the seller name of Buckslayer, at least I think it's the same outfit because the powder paint comes in the same jars with TJ's name on it. The paint costs a bit more on eBay but shipping is free. If you buy more than that I'd get it directly from TJ's Tackle website and pay for shipping.

Even if you don't use TJ's check out their website, great videos on how to powder paint and like somebody previously posted make sure you follow the instructions on curing your jigs, they will last a lot longer. The guys I fish with kept asking me why their store bought jigs kept losing the paint and mine didn't. Simple, they weren't cured properly or at all. As you might guess I now make jigs for all my fishing buddies.

The first time I cured jigs I forgot to clean out the eyes on the hook first. I had to use my Dremel with a tiny drill to bust out the eyes, took forever to clean them up. That taught me to be sure I clean them out before curing.

Hope this doesn't sound like an Ad for TJ's but they do have some great colors and everything you need to customize the color of the powder paint.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Minnow

I have purchased from Janns Netcraft in the past. Their powder works well for me. I second the comment to clean out the eyes before curing.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Minnow

2x on TJ's

Their paint is light and airy.
Even do custom mixes.....

Before wonder bread became popular
They added little amount of red , blue, yellow flake to white base....

Was well worth the few bucks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk