Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Verado Battery Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 01-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Minnow

Default Verado Battery Question

For those guys out there that use two batteries for there verado do you recomend installing a seperate 2 bank charger to keep them charged or does the motor do a good enough job as long as you shut everything off at the end of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

I only have ONE group 31 battery for my main motor / power steering pump. I charge it up once at the beggining of the year and its good to go till the end of the year...
The alternator on the 200 hp seems to handle the power steering pumps and live well drawdown with no problem...
My electonics are on a seperate battery, as is my trolling motor.
HDS 8 Gen 1
Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Keeper

I have a charger for every battery in the boat, and have a battery isolator for the main and the secondary battery. Isolator insures that the big motor will always start, and the chargers only charge what the individual batteries need.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeape View Post
I have a charger for every battery in the boat, and have a battery isolator for the main and the secondary battery. Isolator insures that the big motor will always start, and the chargers only charge what the individual batteries need.

That's how mine is set up.

M
Old 01-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post

That's how mine is set up.

M
x3. The battery isolator does a great job of ensuring there's always power to turn the engine over and the house battery runs the electronics all day. However, I don't think that runs between spots and back to the launch each day are enough to fully charge up the house battery after a long day of use. Therefore to be sure I'm fully charging both up I have a dedicated onboard charger mounted in the rear for them. Also good for getting the most out of your AGM batteries and extending the life of them.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Wallhanger

I have the isolator from Mercury because of the power steering use during trolling with the kicker and using the Verado to steer the kicker.

But what I did so I don't have to buy a new battery charger since I have a 4 bank charger and 5 batteries....

Is put in a toggle switch so I can charge the cranking and house battery in parallel or flip the switch and just charge the house battery. Here is a pic of the toggle switch...
https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...pictureid=8031

Out here in the west we run things on Generators sometimes so not having an extra batter charger was important. Maybe not the case for you...but a toggle switch is much cheaper than another charger.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 PM
Slot Fish

After a full season with my verado, I never felt the need for second battery.
MinnKota Terrova 101
Humminbird 1198c
Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Minnow

Default Verado Batteries

I have the VROD 300 HP and ran my batteries dead each time out. Not good. Put in second battery with a switch so that I can charge both batteries at one time. "House" uses the second battery and the VROD uses it's own battery. I plug it in EVERY TIME I park the boat in the garage. Don't know if I have to with this set up, but better safe than sorry. VERY embarrassing to have a dead battery out on the lake after trolling for 6-7 hours. I also use my bow mount now for most of the steering needs so no more dead batteries. Plus the bow mount has cruise control, heading control, etc....

I also use the ITROLL on the kicker. I went through two TROLLMASTERS last year when the boat was new. They are JUNK compared to the ITROLL. Save yourself the hassle and buy ITROLL. I used to have TROLLMASTER on my older boats and never had trouble but the "New" ones are really junk.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:05 AM
Keeper

Very old thread but Triton is having significant issues properly setting up my 4-battery Verado-kicker configuration. They told me in writing when i ordered the boat that they connect the kicker and power steering to he cranking battery. It showed up with the kicker and power steering connected to the 3rd trolling motor battery. They said this was a mistake and they would send a wiring diagram to my dealer so they could change it back to the starting battery. When the instructions finally showed up they still showed the kicker and power steering connected to the 3rd trolling motor battery.

Thereís a major disconnect at Triton on this and Iím losing confidence that they know what theyíre doing. I suggested we take the safe option of adding a 5th battery which is what Mercury still calls for when the kicker is setup to use the Veradoís power steering with a tie bar.

Can someone clarify how this switch mentioned in this thread works and post links so if I go down this road I donít have to add a second on board charger (I currently have a Minn Kota MK-460 4-bank charger).

I also donít see many viable options as to where I can mount a 5th battery on this boat (2020 Triton 216 Fishunter). Obviously all boats are different, but for those of you with a 5th battery where did you find room to mount it? Was your boat laid out and configured for a 5th house battery or did you need to get creative?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:16 AM
Wallhanger

Default ??

rpr,

Did you receive my PM dated 7-28-19?

Here's another link to my Verado/kicker wiring solution:

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...p?albumid=5444