Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Stock market about to open. Whos nervous? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 10-11-2018, 07:05 AM
Wallhanger

Default Stock market about to open. Whos nervous?

A correction that stabilizes in a few days, no problem. A severe drop will be not so good. Foreign exchanges another factor. Lots a variables and not much to do but ride it out and hope for the best. Well find out if weve been bsd by Wall Street soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 07:40 AM
Keeper

I try not to get nervous about things I can’t control. I did figured this was going to happen when the fed raised the rates.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

Not me. I hope it drops several thousand more points in the near future. We moved all our 401K funds into a money market fund earning 3% last Wednesday. It was pretty easy to see this coming with the raise in interest rates. Going to be difficult to wean people off the idea of borrowing money for almost nothing. If rates continue to climb we are in a precarious situation.

2015 Alumacraft T-195
Yamaha 200
Ulterra w/Ilink 112
Helix 10SI w/GPS

2019 Lowe 1852 Aura

Last edited by Thunderjet; 10-11-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Thunderjet;6252674]Not me. I hope it drops several thousand more points in the near future. We moved all our 401K funds into a fund earning a guaranteed 3% last Wednesday. Like to find a good opportunity to buy back in and catch the ride back up. But for now we are safe.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Hoping for a good size correction. If it goes as I hope I will cut several years off of working. I probably have enough to retire now if I make a few changes (who wants to do that?) but am too young and don't really want to stop working, plus my youngest daughter has 2 years in high school yet, one in college and may want to be a doctor so I will keep paying for that as needed. I pulled about 60% out and put it in very conservative places hoping for a good sale to get back in.

Although I feel like I should have put my house on the market this spring and downsized a bit while everyone is feeling like they are rich.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Wallhanger

I got 8 hours of great sleep last night. Tuesday afternoon I sat at my computer and moved all my funds (100% Tech funds) into Vanguard money market. Was in cash at opening bell yesterday morning. Still lost quite a bit in past few days, but it was house money.

I lost 4 1/2 % before moving to money market. Money market won't make much money, but has stopped the bleeding.

I'll be easing back into the market, maybe as soon as today, but not all in at one time. I'm tracking every Vanguard fund to look for trends. Will do the same at the beginning of new year.

Wondering if energy funds might be attractive for the rest of the year. I'm too old to be owning stock funds. Mutual funds are my only investments. Don't have much money, but sure enjoy playing with it and watching it grow. Youth is the key to investing and I don't have it.

Would have ridden this one out if I were 30 years younger.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:02 AM
Wallhanger

When interest rates are low stocks will grow. When interest rates are high stocks will die.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Keeper

I’m young enough that a correction means I get to buy more at a cheaper price. I say keep buying. I have a ways to go.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Thunderjet;6252674]Not me. I hope it drops several thousand more points in the near future. We moved all our 401K funds into a money market fund earning 3% last Wednesday. It was pretty easy to see this coming with the raise in interest rates. Going to be difficult to wean people off the idea of borrowing money for almost nothing. If rates continue to climb we are in a precarious situation.[/QUOTE]

Wow that is a great rate. Best I can find is a tad over 2%. What is the name of your bank, I want to transfer some money there.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Wallhanger

The prime rate has been creeping up since 2016. Right now it is the highest it has been since 2008. Be cautious.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Tonyo;6252708]Im young enough that a correction means I get to buy more at a cheaper price. I say keep buying. I have a ways to go.[/QUOTE]

That's the right attitude!

When people bemoan the drop in stock market measures I still think of the people that used it as a profit taking opportunity.