Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Stock market - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 12-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Wallhanger

Default Stock market

[QUOTE=SGPopp;6269798]Similar situation. I'm 46 and don't want to retire for a while. I'm watching it fall and it doesn't bother me a bit. I've increased contributions across the board.

On the flip side, as a fuel salesman, nobody's gone out of their way to thank me for the $.50+/- drop we've seen recently. But when it goes up......[/QUOTE]

When it goes up they are always telling me they are just passing along the costs. I assume itís no different when it goes down

Back on topic, I just upped my contributions. I have a few more recessions in me before retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Slot Fish

[QUOTE=rwl;6269754]What is left in there I will, but I moved majority of it 10 weeks or so ago, I'm waiting for what I [B]think[/B] is "all the way down" then hopefully I'll buy all my stuff back and then some.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering how that works for taxes or capital gains.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Wallhanger

I just increased my contributions to retirement accounts and our ESPP.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Wallhanger

Everything I have is in solid mutual funds (Vanguard). I still have the same number of shares today as I did on January 1. I rode it out in 2008 and will again. Never lost any sleep over it. Now retired; I have a 3-year spending money cushion in a cash account.

Read your owner's manual.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:27 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=h8go4s;6269826]Everything I have is in solid mutual funds (Vanguard). I still have the same number of shares today as I did on January 1. I rode it out in 2008 and will again. Never lost any sleep over it. Now retired; I have a 3-year spending money cushion in a cash account.[/QUOTE]

X2

andersaki
Old 12-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=h8go4s;6269826]Everything I have is in solid mutual funds (Vanguard). I still have the same number of shares today as I did on January 1. I rode it out in 2008 and will again. Never lost any sleep over it. Now retired; I have a 3-year spending money cushion in a cash account.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^
Old 12-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Keeper

Took a little bit out a few times this fall and put it into a stable value money market fund. Sitting with about 35 % in that fund. Letting the rest ride it out. 59 and still working.

dvl2700

2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty, 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel

Living the dream.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl View Post
"What is left in there I will, but I moved majority of it 10 weeks or so ago, I'm waiting for what I think is "all the way down" then hopefully I'll buy all my stuff back and then some."

"Just wondering how that works for taxes or capital gains."

There is no tax or penalty if you move it to a Money Market mutual fund, or Bond mutual fund. Only if you actually cash it out. Move it out of stocks.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Wallhanger

Default Stock Market

It's all paper until you cash it out. The number of shares in a mutual fund usually goes up with with distributions during the yearr. So, at the end of the year, you usually own more shares than on Jan first. Maintaining a diversified portfolio is important. The Feds tell us what our RMD's are each year after we reach 70 & a half. That't the only forced cash out that I'm aware of. I plan & cover that with funds in a money market fund. I usually ride the market .

2009 Jeep JK
2010 Lund Rebel 1625 xl ss
60 HP Merc 4-cycle
Old 12-19-2018, 07:57 AM
mk cant log in

[QUOTE=eriksat1;6269950]Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl View Post
"What is left in there I will, but I moved majority of it 10 weeks or so ago, I'm waiting for what I think is "all the way down" then hopefully I'll buy all my stuff back and then some."

"Just wondering how that works for taxes or capital gains."

There is no tax or penalty if you move it to a Money Market mutual fund, or Bond mutual fund. Only if you actually cash it out. Move it out of stocks.[/QUOTE]

If "in there" refers to a retirement account then taxes are unlikely.

However, if "there" is a regular trading account and you sell out of one fund and into another, capital gains (or losses) will probably come into play. In order to 'move' from one fund/etf, etc. you have to sell that position and buy into another.