Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Welcome to IL, pay toll 1 mile,,,,, - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 01-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Hot Runr Guy;6277924]Public transportation should be self-funded too. Why should I help pay for bus, train or light rail if I'm not using it?

HRG[/QUOTE]

No complaint here, I agree.
Ulterra
Solix 12 mega
Solix 10 mega
HB 360 transom mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2019, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

"Public transportation should be self-funded too. Why should I help pay for bus, train or light rail if I'm not using it?"

Lets take it step further ... why do I need to pay for those "yellow" buses to pick up your 12 year olds to school each day during the week ? I pay well over 5K/year so your kids get fatter cause they don't want to get up early and walk. On the top of it, the county tells me is good for me cause good schools increase property values. What they don't really say is that it is good for them as higher property values mean higher taxes. My neighbor's kid is so fat (sophomore in HS .. close to 300lbs) that I am surprised someone in school does not intervene. I call it child abuse - I am yet to see him with lawnmower during the growing season.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Hot Runr Guy;6277924]Public transportation should be self-funded too. Why should I help pay for bus, train or light rail if I'm not using it?

HRG[/QUOTE]

I agree with this to a point but it's a slippery slope. I don't know if states like MN and WI have a DNR that's totally self funded. All of a sudden people don't like paying for someone else's boat launch or snowmobile trail and we're up a creek.

I could be wrong. This is WC so it won't take long for someone to post a link proving me wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Keeper

Default Toll Roads

Here in Pa the Turnpike is required to fund non toll road work, so every year rates increase. Another thing is that toll booths are going away, if you don`t have an Easy Pass they take pictures of your plate and you get a letter in the mail for tolls .
Old 01-11-2019, 08:13 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Thunderjet;6277538]I get it why some of you stay, family, jobs, etc. But the older I get the more I vote with my wallet. Taxes and cost of living is why we only lived in Colorado for 2.5 years.
We simply refused to pay the states assinane state income taxes, high property taxes, and astronomical vehicle registration fees. Never again[/QUOTE]

Colorado is getting real rough...
Has me considering moving.
More tolls popping up in Colorado. I70 has a sweet one. Charge varies depending on how much time it is saving you. Was never the plan for it to be a toll but now it is and it isn’t going away.

Next toll is the extra lane being built from Springs to castle rock. So if a person wants to save time they jump in the toll lane with less cars... fun fun
As if we don’t pay enough
BT terrova link

Last edited by Boondock; 01-11-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:19 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Scott C;6277830]FYI I hate taxes more than anyone, but a direct consumption tax like toll roads are the best kind IMO. Only those that use them pay for them, its not a burden to other taxpayers. Oklahoma sucks you can't get out of this state w/o a toll road hardly.[/QUOTE]

Most road funding is paid by state and federal fuel tax. Many states fund construction and maintenance of all types of roads including limited access highways(aka “toll roads” in states like Illinois) by fuel tax alone. Some do, and some don’t. Do you wonder about the inefficiencies of those states that don’t; and if many states can, then why can’t all states?

A fuel tax is a user tax. The more you drive, and the worse the mpg, the more you pay. Claiming the need of another user tax like tolls, or added charge per mile, is redundant and excessive, and reflects inefficient government.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=jfishpa;6277986]Here in Pa the Turnpike is required to fund non toll road work, so every year rates increase. Another thing is that toll booths are going away, if you don`t have an Easy Pass they take pictures of your plate and you get a letter in the mail for tolls .[/QUOTE]

I was born and raised south east of Pittsburgh. I remember hearing my parents complain about the turnpike. When it first got its start the state said the tolls would end as soon as they paid for construction.
Now? Every year the tolls go higher and higher with no end in sight. And now the state is trying to turn I80 into a toll road as well because of reduced turnpike traffic.
Pa is bizarre. One of the highest gas taxes in the USA, toll roads, state income tax, sales tax, state stores for selling hard liquor and wine, it just never seems to end. I bet 3-4 days a week I meet someone who just set up residence here from Pa in the last year or two and they all say state taxes are the reason they moved.

2015 Alumacraft T-195
Yamaha 200
Ulterra w/Ilink 112
Helix 10SI w/GPS

2019 Lowe 1852 Aura
Old 01-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Hat Trick

Another good reason not to go to IL.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=rzep;6277964]"Public transportation should be self-funded too. Why should I help pay for bus, train or light rail if I'm not using it?"

Lets take it step further ... why do I need to pay for those "yellow" buses to pick up your 12 year olds to school each day during the week ? I pay well over 5K/year so your kids get fatter cause they don't want to get up early and walk. On the top of it, the county tells me is good for me cause good schools increase property values. What they don't really say is that it is good for them as higher property values mean higher taxes. My neighbor's kid is so fat (sophomore in HS .. close to 300lbs) that I am surprised someone in school does not intervene. I call it child abuse - I am yet to see him with lawnmower during the growing season.[/QUOTE]

Those yellow buses aren't always free. In my current house busing is free but the high school and middle school is 3.3 miles away and requires you to cross a major 4 lane highway.

In our old house we lived too close to both (+/- 1.5 miles away) and would not have had auto pickup. We would have had to pay $57 per child per semester for them to ride the bus. The elementary school about .3 miles away was a free ride. My kids chose to walk.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:41 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=rzep;6277964]- I am yet to see him with lawnmower during the growing season.[/QUOTE]

I had a few nephews like that. They have a small yard so its a push mower. Their dad said it was too hot outside lol.
Ulterra
Solix 12 mega
Solix 10 mega
HB 360 transom mount