Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Questons on Tadpole use on Lake Erie - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
There is a diving lip which will get a little more depth than just the weight. Without the weight of a fish or debris in your presentation the angle of the attachment will pull slightly but a fish or stick or whatever will make the clip slide to the front of the tadpole so there is no more diving motion. We are not talking a huge pull like a dipsy here but getting deeper with less weight is the only benefit I see. Bob
Ozark, I use tadpoles and yes you described perfectly how they work when used conventionally with a lure attached to them. But in this method, connected to a 3way on a dropper line, there is not a lure attached to the rear so the tadpole would just be hanging like dead weight, that's why it was noted that you could probably just use a sinker as a less expensive way of doing that particular setup
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Ozark, I use tadpoles and yes you described perfectly how they work when used conventionally with a lure attached to them. But in this method, connected to a 3way on a dropper line, there is not a lure attached to the rear so the tadpole would just be hanging like dead weight, that's why it was noted that you could probably just use a sinker as a less expensive way of doing that particular setup
No, it's not dead weight. When set, the profile of the face forces them to dive. I use Tadpoles nearly every trip out. When I first started running Tadpoles, I put some out while "set" to dive, with NOTHING on them to verify dive curves, and they pull and dive like a dipsey, but to much less extreme, with or without anything on them. They are not just dead weight unless you were to hook it on the rear eye or send it out "tripped".
Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
No, it's not dead weight. When set, the profile of the face forces them to dive. I use Tadpoles nearly every trip out. When I first started running Tadpoles, I put some out while "set" to dive, with NOTHING on them to verify dive curves, and they pull and dive like a dipsey, but to much less extreme, with or without anything on them. They are not just dead weight unless you were to hook it on the rear eye or send it out "tripped".
Yeah i agree , i guess i just don't get why the guy wanted to send them on a 3 way with a deep crank or if he was setting them in the "set" position or not. I love using tadpoles, but i don't know how you'd know where you were at if you used them in conjunction with a deep diving crank like a bandit. Since you use them alot you know how speed dependent they are, how would you ever know where your lure was, that's why i asked the poster if he had dive curves.
I think there's too much going on, that's why i like using them for what they are intended for, and I also know where they are at. What good is deeper if you don't know how much deeper, that's why i suggested snap weights on deep cranks, you will know where you are at.

I think tadpoles are a great way to get your presentation down to your desired depth as long as you use them the way they were designed to be used.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders