Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Converting to tandem axel - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 08-06-2019, 05:19 AM
Minnow

Question Converting to tandem axel

I have a 1800 ProV with a 150 Honda, 8hp kicker, terrova , downriggers ect. on a 3500# single axle shorelander trailer. When it has a full tank of gas I am close to the trailer rating. I tow on gravel & some rough roads & I am having a problem with excessive tire wear & possibly a slightly bent axle as one tire is wearing faster than the other. So I want to convert it to a tandem axle. I will keep my existing disk brake hubs & go with 2 new axels,one with idler hubs & the back one with my existing disk brake hubs. New springs & hardware and new fenders. My major concern is about how to properly align the new axels & the axle positioning on the trailer. The spring hangers are welded to the trailer frame so I need to get this correct on the first try. How should I position the new axels? I was thinking that I would put the center spring hanger where the existing axle is, a friend of mine who converted his trailer to tandem said I should put the center hanger about 1/3 of the distance back of the original axle. I think that with my current setup my tongue weight is a bit too high and less tongue weight would be better. If anyone has done this & has suggestions on how I should proceed I would appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 05:36 AM
Wallhanger

Not to rain on your parade but is this that much cheaper than buying a new trailer and selling the old one? Thats what I did on a old Crestliner I had.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:04 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dore View Post
I have a 1800 ProV with a 150 Honda, 8hp kicker, terrova , downriggers ect. on a 3500# single axle shorelander trailer. When it has a full tank of gas I am close to the trailer rating. I tow on gravel & some rough roads & I am having a problem with excessive tire wear & possibly a slightly bent axle as one tire is wearing faster than the other. So I want to convert it to a tandem axle. I will keep my existing disk brake hubs & go with 2 new axels,one with idler hubs & the back one with my existing disk brake hubs. New springs & hardware and new fenders. My major concern is about how to properly align the new axels & the axle positioning on the trailer. The spring hangers are welded to the trailer frame so I need to get this correct on the first try. How should I position the new axels? I was thinking that I would put the center spring hanger where the existing axle is, a friend of mine who converted his trailer to tandem said I should put the center hanger about 1/3 of the distance back of the original axle. I think that with my current setup my tongue weight is a bit too high and less tongue weight would be better. If anyone has done this & has suggestions on how I should proceed I would appreciate the help.
Dore,
I was in the same predicament as yourself. Lund 1800 loaded came in at 3800# on 3750# torsion axle. Tires were bowed out bad on the bottom and wearing unevenly. I was able to buy a 4200# center drop torsion axle that bolted right up, and some new load range E tires. Everything straightened up and it tows great now, tires wear even. I was into the new axle, with new Vault hubs and spindles for about $600 shipped. A floor jack and four bolts and it was installed in less than an hour. Good luck.

Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Wallhanger

Some years ago I had the same idea. To me, it made more sense to sell the old one and buy a new one already set up. Sold my old one for 500 and the new one cost me1300. Money well spent, I think.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

I would do the same as Coho suggested.

Remove your current axle and replace with a 4500 lb axle and E rated 10 ply tires.

Also, purchase a new matching Spare tire that has the same E rating and is 10 ply.

Balance and mount the tires. Bleed the brakes and go fishing.

Be safe
Old 08-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Keeper

If you can get away with a stronger axle and use automobile wheels/radials, it might be the best choice. One advantage to tandem and smaller wheels is the boat rides lower - ramp loading is affected - there are disadvantages to tandem trailering.

I once had a heavy fiberglass boat on a single heavy axle, and one day blew the bearings on one of the hubs. The specific hub spindle size was no longer manufactured so I had to purchase a new axle and hub kit. It cost me about $150 total (20 years ago) - the axle came with attached leaf springs and I was able to perform the swap in a couple of hours including packing new bearings. The leaf springs bolted straight into the old locations, so it was an easier job than perhaps another's would be. The leaf springs have to be attached to the trailer somehow.

Regardless, I would investigate this angle first - for me it was a cheap and easy fix. The axle was a 4 inch diameter steel tube bent into a "V" shape with welded on spindles on each end. Weighed much less than I thought it would.