Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Baitcasting rod and reel for cranks - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-26-2019, 05:58 AM
Wallhanger

Default Baitcasting rod and reel for cranks

I'm building a custom rod for casting lighter lures and cranks for smallies mostly. I'll either use a lighter braid or mono....around 10lb? Need suggestion for baitcasting reels that WILL cast lighter lures. Budget around 100ish. I have a lot of baitcasting stuff but have never attempted to cast smaller baits as they are mostly setup in MH and up. I fish a small river and need a rod that can cast these as accuracy is key. Hard to get that under a tree cast with a spinning rod. Reel and line suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 06:29 AM
Slot Fish

I like Lew’s BB1 and Diawa Tatula SVTW.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:46 AM
Wallhanger

I use a Daiwa Tatula Type R. It will fit your needs and budget very well.
The Daiwa SV that Honkerslayer mentioned would work even better for lighter lures, but would be closer to $200. I would also use a rod with a moderate action for cranks. I use 30 lb. Power Pro.

andersaki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 06:15 PM
Wallhanger

honestly I had a Daiwa Zillion ($350) and could use it....when I palm the reel I hit the cast control and screw everything up. Every Daiwa is like this that I see....tatula included. Which stinks because they are a great value.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:40 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkerslayer View Post
I like Lew’s BB1 and Diawa Tatula SVTW.
Bb1 is my vote as well.
Havent tried a Tatula
Old 08-31-2019, 05:06 PM
Minnow

I like my Revo STX's a lot, but I think they're a little more money, around $150.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:12 AM
Minnow

Been working on that project myself. Building a Rainshadow judge blank for throwing balsa lures and just from my own research and looking around that Daiwa SV even though its above your budget seems like one of the better ones. From my understanding and reading that shallow spool helps a lot with casting the light lures.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Minnow

Look at Dixie Custom out of LaFollete, TN. You will probably end up around $200 for rod and reel but you will not be disappointed. I bought my first setup last year about this time and now have 4 of his reels and 2 rods. I have always been an Abu Garcia baitcast lover but for a buck you will not find a smoother, better casting reel. I throw anything from a small Berkeley Wild Thing, 30+ foot crankbaits and jigs from 1/4 to 1.5 ozs. They seem to be the rod and reel of choice for local ETN fishermen.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:34 PM
Wallhanger

I built a 7'1" ML casting rod from getbitoutdoors. Cheaper kit as I have found there blanks to be a great value and just need a light action setup with a moderate to moderate fast action. Aluminum oxide Fuji guides nothing special as it will have 10lb mono. Tried a lews reel I already had ($80) and respooled with 10lb trilene and tied on a #7 shadrap. Amazed how well it casts. Hoping to get out this weekend and find some smallies.