Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Jigging Setup - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-30-2019, 11:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Greetings,

I tried using Fireline on one of my vertical jigging reels when those lines first came out. I couldn't get it off my reel fast enough. As I recall, that line had so much memory that the jig could not freely fall in the water column when the bail was open. I would encounter many false bottoms as the jig fell to the actual bottom of the lake. It also seemed to me that the fish was feeling me on my end of the line, just as well as I was feeling the fish on its end of the line.

Sounds good. To each his own.

I use fireline and love it for jigging. It has alot less memory then mono and falls freely if not imbedded in the spool which is very easy to avoid. But braid will stick on the spool, so I definitely understand that. There is a short learning curve to braid then it shines.

Keep yourself happy as well and enjoy using what you like. I was just curious the reasons and thank you for the detailed answer.

I jigged with mono for years, it was my favorite way to fish then as it is now with braid. Fun stuff.

Last edited by mjayn; 08-30-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 03:51 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Greetings,

I tried using Fireline on one of my vertical jigging reels when those lines first came out. I couldn't get it off my reel fast enough. As I recall, that line had so much memory that the jig could not freely fall in the water column when the bail was open. I would encounter many false bottoms as the jig fell to the actual bottom of the lake. It also seemed to me that the fish was feeling me on my end of the line, just as well as I was feeling the fish on its end of the line.

Sounds good. To each his own.

I use fireline and love it for jigging. It has alot less memory then mono and falls freely if not imbedded in the spool which is very easy to avoid. But braid will stick on the spool, so I definitely understand that. There is a short learning curve to braid then it shines.

Keep yourself happy as well and enjoy using what you like. I was just curious the reasons and thank you for the detailed answer.

I jigged with mono for years, it was my favorite way to fish then as it is now with braid. Fun stuff.

Funny, I really want to like braid....and have used it but I just cant seem to tie it quickly....and I can never find my scissors to cut it. It is like tying a piece if string.....so mono is my vote as well......but I will say I havent been in good walleye action ever using braid.
Fun to read peoples opinions and options out there.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:17 PM
Wallhanger

Most of my knots are tied in mono or fluoro. Only when adding a new leader do I tie with braid. If I do have to tie the lure directly to braid I use a palomar knot, very easy with braid. And a boomerang braid clippers on a retractable lanyard.

I know I sound like i have an answer for everything, but I have been fishing with my father for decades and he did not want to even try braid. After going through all his issues one at a time, and he had them all, he now prefers braid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 04:59 PM
Minnow

6'8" ML St. Croix rod with XF action. I like the feel it gives. I use 2000 Shimano spinning reels. I have 2 rods set up for jigging, which is 90% of the fishing I do. My shallow water rod, 12' or less, has 8 lb. mono. For deeper water, I use 10 lb. Suffix braid with a 4' 8 lb. Fluorocarbon leader.

After switching to braid for deeper water, I was losing a lot less hookups compared to mono, with the exact same technique.

I was up in Gunisao (Manitoba) 1st week of June, and absolutely slayed the big trophy walleye in 20 to 30 feet of water with the braid setup. I caught 6 over 28", and 15 between 27" and 28". Fun trip, and the braid was noticeably better for me over mono in deep water, as I tried mono for a while, just to see the difference.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Minnow

I dropshot and glide spoons for bass and my current set up is a Plueger Supreme 25x on an AG Veritas 7’ medium/fast. I use Super Slick 30# with a 10 to 12 foot flouro leader, usually 10#. I use this combination because the line diameters are as close to equal as you can get and that makes for a strong and pretty FG knot. I find that this is a combo that works well whether I am using light weight on calm days or heavier weight on windy days or days when the dams are open and the currents are fast. It works for me and I tried a number of other combinations before settling on this one. The reason I have a Plueger on this set up is because no one had or could get Shimano Stradics when I was looking for this new combo but the reel size would have been the same.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Lund,
You say that you can't find your scissors for cutting braid.

The solution is simple, take a neck lanyard with a snap on the end and snap it through one of the handles of the scissors and slip the lanyard around your neck.

The scissors will always be handy,

Just be careful to avoid the sharp points of the scissor. If worrked about the sharp point, then, grind or cut off the points on the scissors and make them round.

Take care
Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 PM
Keeper

6'3" st croix avid MLXF. Shimano Stradic 2500

15 ft or less 6lb seaguar invisx
>15 ft power pro braid with invisx leader
Old 09-10-2019, 03:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund1875# View Post
Funny, I really want to like braid....and have used it but I just cant seem to tie it quickly....and I can never find my scissors to cut it. It is like tying a piece if string.....so mono is my vote as well......but I will say I havent been in good walleye action ever using braid.
Fun to read peoples opinions and options out there.
Toenail clippers work great for braid 20# and under, keep 'em in your pocket. Small barrel swivel to a couple feet of mono means you only have to tie to braid one or twice per 7 days fishing unless you are dragging through lots of rock. You get all the advantages of both kinds of line.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:42 AM
Wallhanger

6’ Berkley Series One/Shimano Symetre 750 size reel, 10/4 Fireline, small barrel swivel, pre tied jigs with 18” of 6# Trllene XT Surgeons Loop. No use to waste fishing time tying knots.
Live and die on this day......
Old 09-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Wallhanger

Good idea. how do you store the 18in of line and jig?

I have the canoe mans loop down to about 20 seconds, that includes tag snip. great knot. started using it in saltwater to get more walking the dog action on topwater snook. But the knot works great in all situations a loop knot makes sense.