Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sciatic Nerve Issues - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Wallhanger

Default Sciatic Nerve Issues

Anyone have experience with this? This stuff is pretty new to me, and I gotta say, very uncomfortable.

I am pretty flared up right now. Didn't sleep the last two nights due to pain (could not find any way to lay without massive throbbing all down my leg). I have some stretches to do from the chiropractor and I am using some ice. I am going to try using a Tens unit. Any other suggestions or thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 12:31 PM
Keeper

I have issues with it occasionally. Thankfully Aleve seems to work pretty well. I'm sure that if I would drop 10-20 lbs. that would help too.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Wallhanger

The chiropractor is the only way I could get rid of my pain. Once a week for 3 or 4 weeks.

The best suggestion is, DON'T WANT SO LONG TO GO TO THE CHIROPRACTOR next time.

It's your spinal cord you are damaging, don't mess around. It won't fix itself.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:57 PM
mk cant log in

I've dealt with it for about 15 years. Went thru the ortho doc, nerve doc, pain med doc, chiro, PT, etc.

What has worked best for me was starting to work with a trainer at the gym to strength core muscles, doing some yoga stretching and taking ibuprofen when it got bad. The exercises and stretching didn't cure it all, maybe 75% but I've tried CBD oil for the nerve inflammation and its helped. I'm about 90% as good as can be, very little pain but its been a long road to find what works best for me.

Once the stretches, ice, and ibuprofen clears it up, for now, you might try some core muscle exercises and yoga/stretching. There's no one thing for me, its a combination and if you stick with it, it should help. My problem is caused by stenosis and some arthritis in the lower back, when it was bad, it was literally a pain in the butt with a fire like burn down the back of my leg.

You might need an MRI to check for disc damage. Stenosis is narrowing of the nerve channel in the spine causing the disc to pinch nerves causing inflammation.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk cant log in View Post
I've dealt with it for about 15 years. Went thru the ortho doc, nerve doc, pain med doc, chiro, PT, etc.

What has worked best for me was starting to work with a trainer at the gym to strength core muscles, doing some yoga stretching and taking ibuprofen when it got bad. The exercises and stretching didn't cure it all, maybe 75% but I've tried CBD oil for the nerve inflammation and its helped. I'm about 90% as good as can be, very little pain but its been a long road to find what works best for me.

Once the stretches, ice, and ibuprofen clears it up, for now, you might try some core muscle exercises and yoga/stretching. There's no one thing for me, its a combination and if you stick with it, it should help. My problem is caused by stenosis and some arthritis in the lower back, when it was bad, it was literally a pain in the butt with a fire like burn down the back of my leg.

You might need an MRI to check for disc damage. Stenosis is narrowing of the nerve channel in the spine causing the disc to pinch nerves causing inflammation.
I was doing pretty good with the weight training and core training for June and July. Then I tweaked my back hooking up a trailer (had to push it back by pushing my hands on the truck and my butt on the trailer, so the latch would close - won't do that anymore). My back was pretty messed up for a couple weeks and then when I got feeling better, I went back to my workouts, and jogging. I went a littler further than normal jogging, and that's when my pain started. It's gotten a little worse each day since then. I saw the chiropractor yesterday. He cracked me, along with some ice and tens. But when I I tried to sleep, things worsened (mine feels exactly like you described, down my left leg and butt). I see the chiro again tomorrow afternoon.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Wallhanger

Man, I feel for you! The most painful experience of my life was having herniated L4/L5 and L5/S1. I couldn't sleep in a bed at all; I got only a few hours of sleep at a time in my recliner with narcotic pain meds. I had to crawl up the stairs and could not stand straight up.

Physical therapy is what helped me. He put me on a traction table and stretched my spine. It was the first time the pressure was off my sciatic nerve in almost 2 weeks. I actually fell asleep while on the table. When he disconnected everything, I got up and was fixed. I wanted to hug my physical therapist. It still took a month or more to completely heal but at least the pressure was off the nerve and the major pain was gone.

My buddy had a similar experience but his disks actually ruptured. They did surgery and fixed his immediately. With herniated discs they try to avoid the surgery route.

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

About one year ago I had a pain develop that I later learned to be sciatic nerve.

I went to a chiropractor a few times. The best solution for me was to walk 2-3 miles each morning. I'm sure it helped that I lost 50-60 lbs byproduct of walking.

Pretty much under control now. I need to begin walking again each day.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Keeper

watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsR4wydiIBI

then read this (short book, takes a few days):
https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-...s=books&sr=1-1

then cured within a couple of weeks for $10.

cured me, cured my best friend, cured my wife, cured my mother and half a dozen other people I've shown this to. Or keep going to doctors and chiropractors and blah blah blah who won't get you anywhere.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Derwood,
Don't put it off.

Go to your doctor and get a full scan and x-ray of your back.

In the vast majority of the time, your nerve problem is caused due to back damage.

You really need to get the scan and x-ray to understand and learn about your spine and its current condition.

Then, with that information in hand, it can be treated appropriately.

If you have only minor spine damage, it makes sense to go to the chiro to have your spine adjusted. But, don't get talked into the idea that you need to keep seeing the Chiro for weeks or months on end. Normally one good adjustment and a couple of follow up visits will get the skeleton back in place.

If your nerve is being affected, it is because something is pressing on it. In the vast majority of cases, the something is part of one of the bones in your spine pressing on the nerve due to disk damage or spine slippage.

Once a back is damaged to the effect that you are feeling nerve damage, you may very well have this for the rest of your life. So, get it diagnosed, and the spine realigned and go from there. That may very well include therapy from an appropriate pa to help strengthen the appropriate muscles so that once your back is back in the correct alignment, the strengthened muscles in your back from the Physical Therapist, and your follow up at home exercising will keep the spine in alignment.

Now, that you have had the initial problem, learn and do all that you can to ever having similar damage again by watching what you lift and how your ride waves in your boat.

Be safe
Old 08-27-2019, 02:31 PM
harold12

A study a few years ago showed that Sarno approach was no more effective than waiting the same amount of time if you did doing very light pririformis stretches (important very light as to not stress the nerve) and walking. A PT I know said that he saw many that had been doing the Sarno thing that ended up in their clinic.