Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
wifi router question - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2022, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I've used the plug in powerline adapters with great success in one home. (Your wiring works for it or doesn't- not guaranteed)

In home they do not work. a wifi mesh setup with repeaters can extend range. (Like Orbi or Google)
Currently using Google and love the ease of setup, automated software updates.
Wall construction makes a huge difference in how wi-fi broadcasts through a home. In my last house, which had all plaster walls with that wire mesh behind it, forget about wi-fi. Had to hardwire everything because the signal wouldn't go through the walls. Easiest is those manufactured home walls that are some type of synthetic plastic type material. Wood vs metal studs can even make a difference. The "shack" is all wood construction, so no issues at all inside. Just getting a signal 100' out in the tackle workshop. Putting a USB wi-fi antenna on the laptop out there definitely helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2022, 05:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I've used the plug in powerline adapters with great success in one home. (Your wiring works for it or doesn't- not guaranteed)

In home they do not work. a wifi mesh setup with repeaters can extend range. (Like Orbi or Google)
Currently using Google and love the ease of setup, automated software updates.
We installed a mesh system in our house. Fixed our signal issues at both ends of the house and garage.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:45 AM
Wallhanger

My cable comes in one corner of the house and that is where my wifi router is. One the same level we couldn't get signal in about 25% of the house in the opposite corner. Upstairs it was worse, probably couldn't get it in 40%. I installed a TP Link wifi extender upstairs in the opposite corner and it solved the problem for both levels. It was something like this with multiple antennas https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Exten...s%2C146&sr=8-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2022, 08:38 AM
foxy

Nowhere a expert of this stuff but since we changed from crappy DSL service to a cable supplied internet service all our problems went away. So I'm guessing for those with slow DSL internet service compared to 100-200 mps service might be your problem to begin with. We have no problem in any room of the house with WiFi or within 75-100 ft outside.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
Nowhere a expert of this stuff but since we changed from crappy DSL service to a cable supplied internet service all our problems went away. So I'm guessing for those with slow DSL internet service compared to 100-200 mps service might be your problem to begin with. We have no problem in any room of the house with WiFi or within 75-100 ft outside.
Speed has nothing to do with it. It's about wf-fi broadcast and reception. Cable isn't what it's cracked up to be against DSL these days. I have fiber optic DSL and up to 300 Mbps. They offer an upgrade to a 940 Mbps plan, but way overkill for me. DSL is also much cheaper. I was paying over $100/month for cable. $35/month for DSL.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 01-16-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty underpants View Post
I use an Eero WiFi in my 2 story home and it made a significant difference. Not cheap, but with the modem and main Eero on the 1st floor, we get great 2nd floor coverage, and outside the house to about 100' around as well.
WiFi didn't make it to the second floor of my house after installing Pergo laminate flooring & Pergo Gold under the laminate. Eero gave me best ever WiFi for Internet & streaming on TV. It's well worth the money.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Another option that you can try and has worked for me.

Use a cable splitter and split the signal between one corner of the house and then run an ethernet line to the diagonal opposite corner of your home where you have a weak signal on a different signal.

Then, add the 2nd modem at that location and you should be good to go.

Someone is the house is a hard core gamer and he found that using the wireless connection that under heavy load conditions he was getting bit dropping going on and spoiling his gaming.

I did a hard core ethernet wiring between floors and he has a hard ethernet wired connection from the modem to the pc and no more bit dropping.

Best wishes.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Admittedly, it's been a while since I had DSL (like the OP), but I question the ability to use (2) modem/routers on 1 line? Typically, DSL is fed into the house using the RJ11 phone lines, and while you could use a 2nd DSL filter and plug-in the original modem/router, I don't see the provider making this work.

I COULD see running an ethernet/RJ45 cable to the 2nd router, but I would think that it would need to be configured as an access point first. Not sure if Pooch has the capability of bringing an ethernet/RJ45 line from the primary modem/router to the 2nd location, or if he was hoping to use the existing RJ11 phone lines?

HRG

Last edited by Hot Runr Guy; 01-16-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Admittedly, it's been a while since I had DSL (like the OP), but I question the ability to use (2) modem/routers on 1 line? Typically, DSL is fed into the house using the RJ11 phone lines, and while you could use a 2nd DSL filter and plug-in the original modem/router, I don't see the provider making this work.

I COULD see running an ethernet/RJ45 cable to the 2nd router, but I would think that it would need to be configured as an access point first. Not sure if Pooch has the capability of bringing an ethernet/RJ45 line from the primary modem/router to the 2nd location, or if he was hoping to use the existing RJ11 phone lines?

HRG
Appears that won't work and was what I was going for.

I had originally placed one line filter on the incoming phone line when we rebuilt this old farm house years ago. Then ran all the phone lines to the various locations in the house.

My "easy fix" isn't...

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 01-16-2022, 05:40 PM
Wallhanger

This is how how done it. RJ45 from the router downstair (main router) from the yellow connector then I route the cable to my other router upstair and I configure this router with the same network and password has the one downstairs. Been doing this for 3 years now with out any problem.