Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling For Crappies - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 AM
Slot Fish

ive had great luck trolling sr5 shad raps on smaller pike lakes for crappies , i troll them over suspended fish and they chew them up real good ,.7 on the gps seams to be the go to speed where i go and the micro boards work great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Minnow

Stumbled upon the crappie trolling idea by trolling for eyes with 1/4 oz hot-n-tots. we catch a dozen or so slabs every trip out on a local river fed gravel pit, Purple seems to work best for me. also found they like RR deep lil rippers in purple also. A lot of the time the only fish we take home are large crappie. Go figure.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Wallhanger

I troll for walleye the same as I do for crappie, just shift reservoirs and go 0.5 mph faster for crappie.

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/3473/imgp0383.jpg
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Good way to find 'em. . .

Use bow-mount electric to (slowly) pull 1/16th-oz. Roadrunner-type jig-head w/small tube or twin-tail rubber body over open water; post-spawn all the way into fall.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Slot Fish

Gary-- One lure that I have had great sucess with is the gold and black YoZuri Snap Bean. Those have always been a great crappie crank bait for me. Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Slot Fish

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...nks-101-a.html

Check out this website, we have been pulling bandits for crappie for a while now in the southern lakes. It's actually what got me interested in walleye fishing. You can flat out slay them in the heat of the summer. Sardis Lake in Mississippi is a great place to do this at, 16"ers are common, and the occasional 3+ lber comes out of that lake. I usually spider rig it in the spring, but summer trips usually involve pulling cranks.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Wallhanger

Default Question

I am finding some great stuff on trolling for crappies with crank baits. However, what I have been finding is crank baits work best with white crappie, from the posts I have been reading. Unfortunately here in Minnesota we are limited to one rod.

If I read the Minnesota laws correctly we are restricted to one hook as well, or one plug. If using two hooks the laws state the hooks must be no further then 9" apart as in a crawler harness set up.

Thanks or the tips and website address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMOmike View Post
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...nks-101-a.html

Check out this website, we have been pulling bandits for crappie for a while now in the southern lakes. It's actually what got me interested in walleye fishing. You can flat out slay them in the heat of the summer. Sardis Lake in Mississippi is a great place to do this at, 16"ers are common, and the occasional 3+ lber comes out of that lake. I usually spider rig it in the spring, but summer trips usually involve pulling cranks.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Keeper

Default dont laugh

OK....so this maybe some what odd but it has been working here in Wisconsin for me since I was a child. We troll beatle spins between 1.2 and 1.8 behind planer boards with flags.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Minnow

Default One poll is tough

Much like SEMO mike I've been trolling for crappies for a long time and many times I go to the MS board for helpful tips. I like a Bandit 300 series if they're deep. Colors I couldn't help with up north but in the mercy waters down south we use bubble gum and bright colors. Bandit 200's if they're 10 ft down in the water column. I don't tear up the blacks while trolling but I do catch some. If your ever down in MO I can put you on some crappie trolling in the summer, just PM me.