Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The Trolling Rundown - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Wallhanger

Default Planer board trolling

Before you put a line in the water, calibrate your reels. Ideally, have all the reels you are going to put mono or braid on the same model and size. To calibrate your reels, start out by putting your main line on the empty reel after setting the line counter to zero. I use 10 lb power pro as my main line, and reel from zero until it reads 400, which is 200 yards( your line counter when you are reeling it in goes backwards from 1000 when zeroed out. Reset the line counter to zero and tie on whatever you are using for backing and fill the reel to it's capacity, noting what the line counter says when you are done. Then simply reverse the line to another reel and you will have a full reel with the backing where it belongs and your main line where it belongs. Then you can fill the rest of your reels with the info you got from the first reel. If your reels aren't the same and filled to the same amount, you will get wild fluctuations in accuracy between reels. Because I use braid, I set my drags looser than I would with mono because there is virtually no stretch in braid. Accordingly I leave the Clicker on both while I am letting out the board and after the board is where I want it. There have been many times when the clicker has alerted me to another fish while landing another one. Don't underestimate the value of calibrating your reels. It's virtually the only way you can exactly duplicate what's working on one rod with another one, and quite often being off 5 feet or so either too shallow or too deep will render that rod useless. There have been many times when trolling for suspended walleyes or walleyes laying on the bottom where they want the bait at a certain depth, which may or not be near where they are; ie many times this past summer we could only catch fish that were holding between thirty and thirty five feet at 20 feet. To be successful trolling with boards, you have to let the fish tell you what they want----what bait, what color, what speed, what depth. The only thing I know for sure is that you won't catch walleyes if you are trolling your baits under them. I would also suggest you get all the same kinds of boards. Different boards run differently in the water. In face, if you are only going to troll with two boards, I would start out with two boards on the same side of the boat. Trolling with boards is fun, and you will get the hang of it faster than you think. Experiment, and if you are trolling over fish and not getting bit, experiment some more--think outside the box. Good luck and tight lines. By the way, you came to the right place for advice--this site is the best for helping other anglers

Last edited by duckbutter; 01-14-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Minnow

Default As far as the clicker goes

I keep mine off until the boards are in place, then I test the drag to make sure it pulls with relative ease. Set the clicker to on when the drag is set this way even if a small fish hits it it will serve as an alarm that a fish is on and thus giving it slack at the same time. I make sure my rods have enough energy to hook the fish themselves. I caught a 12 lber this November trolling and didn't stop the motor so it's really up to you.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny W View Post
I keep mine off until the boards are in place, then I test the drag to make sure it pulls with relative ease. Set the clicker to on when the drag is set this way even if a small fish hits it it will serve as an alarm that a fish is on and thus giving it slack at the same time. I make sure my rods have enough energy to hook the fish themselves. I caught a 12 lber this November trolling and didn't stop the motor so it's really up to you.

Do you tighten up your drag relative to the size of the fish when your reeling in a fish? I need a some clarification here lol. If the clicker is on, then the drag makes the clicking noise when it's pulled out. Am I right? And if you have the clicker on and the drag loose, and you have a fish on that is pulling the line out and that makes the clicking noise. Or is the clicker something totally different then just a noise maker when the drag is being pulled out?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Minnow

Default Keeping it simple

When I initially start searching (trolling) keeping organized is key. With 6 rods and 6 baits and six weights things get confusing fast.
I use 6 similar lures on boards and that set up keeps it simple.
Here we go:
1. All rods are set with the 50/50 trolling rule. (Bait to Weight to Board)
2. Each line has a different weight. (I use KFin Trolling Weights)

KFin weights are quick release and they come in 6 sizes. When I get bite, I switch to the productive weight.

These weights are new to the market. www.gokfin.com check them out
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactFishing View Post
Do you tighten up your drag relative to the size of the fish when your reeling in a fish? I need a some clarification here lol. If the clicker is on, then the drag makes the clicking noise when it's pulled out. Am I right? And if you have the clicker on and the drag loose, and you have a fish on that is pulling the line out and that makes the clicking noise. Or is the clicker something totally different then just a noise maker when the drag is being pulled out?
Ok, so several items here.
First, in every trolling reel I've opened or seen, the clicker is nothing but a noise maker. It's typically a little piece of metal the the button moves down to rub against an internal gear. Same principal as baseball cards in bicycle spokes. So your clicker is seperate from your drag, but the clicker does offer a small amount of resistance. We often leave the clicker on when deploying our lines with the reels in freespool, just so things don't go out to fast and get tangled with other lines, and helps avoid backlash.
Typically once I get a fish on the hook, I turn off the clicker, just because I don't like to hear it. But it if is an aggressive/active fish that demands my undivided attention I wont take the time to reach over and flip off the clicker because I don't want to let go of the reel handle.

To your first question about adjusting drag with the fish on, I never do this except in a few very specific setups. In my opinion only the very skilled should mess with the drag once the fish is on, this is because people tend to tighten the drag to much and to fast, and lose the fish because the hook tears out of their mouth. It is better to just work with the drag as is and work the fish in.

There are a lot of considerations and preferences that can go into the setting of your drag. Fo me it ends up being considerations of line type, meaning low stretch braid versus stretchable mono; as well as fish size and type I'm targeting. Also, whether I'm using planer boards, or diving devices like dipseys affects my drag choice. For me the first consideration in setting the drag is having enough tension so I get a good hook set, but no so much that they rip the hook out of their own mouth.

Last edited by Steeleyes; 01-22-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfinder View Post
(I use KFin Trolling Weights)

KFin weights are quick release and they come in 6 sizes. When I get bite, I switch to the productive weight.

These weights are new to the market. www.gokfin.com check them out
You don't say. I didn't notice on everyone of your other posts you mentioned them in.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Gonefishin View Post
You don't say. I didn't notice on everyone of your other posts you mentioned them in.
Reading through finfinder's posts is something of a Fishy experience isn't it Kgone? finfinder, you are aware that you need to be a "paid sponsor" of the site to promote products right?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Minnow

Default Sorry

Went back and read the posting rules and you are right. New to the forum thing and will keep things on the general side from now on.

I got in the same kind of trouble when I first started on Facebook.

Never could keep a secrethttps://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...ies/frypan.gif
Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

Facebook is a free for all, nothing wrong with letting people know about a new product everyone understands you have to get the word out, but this isn't Vietnam walleyecentral has rules, most Facebook pages don't unless it's a private group then it's up to the owner of the group of the page you belong too.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 AM
Minnow

Good Luck!

Tags
trolling