Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need Help on eyes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Minnow

Default Need Help on eyes

I live in Arkansas and have had fair luck on catching Walleye on some of our bigger lakes. Where I am having trouble is a smaller lake that has been stocked with walleye for about 6 years. No one fishes the lake for walleye. I talked to the local game and fish warden when he was checking my license and he said there were lots of walleye but no one kenw how to catch them. He said they were almost all in the four to five lbs range. It is a 1,000 acre lake and has water depth from shallow flats 5 to 8 ft to 40 to 70 ft in the middle. Most of the main points drop off very fast from 12 to 15 to 30+. There are no humps. I can not seem to locate the walleye. I find fish where I think would be walleye on graph and they end up being other fish when caught. I have tried crawler harness with bottom bouncers Flicker crank baits and heavy jiging spoons. These methods have produced lots of good fish but no walleye. Any tips on how to locate the walleye. They have put over 50,000 walleye in this lake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Minnow

Oh water temps are high 70s to low 80s here.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Wallhanger

Sounds like the local lake we fish.
Could try night trolling with stickbaits in 5-7'. Or wade out a little and cast lures. Rapalas, bombers, rippin redfins, etc.
That's what I've done for over 30 yrs. at this lake. Other guys use other methods, but I worked the middle shift and learned they could be caught at night. Usually I'm not the only one fishing for them either!
If it has a rock dam, troll along that.
Just maby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Minnow

Thanks it does have a rock dam. I have only fished it twice. The lake is the middle of the National Forrest and not fished by many people. I have never gone all the way to the dam. I will give that a try. I think I will go in the AM. Last time I caught 15 crappie all over 2 lbs trolling a Flicker. Caught several 3 to 4lbs white bass off jigging spoon. I don't eat white bass but the crappie never left the boat. I have a small 12' waco flatbottom with 4 hp yamaha and TM. I do have a good fish finder kinda funny I got more in my graph than boat and motor. Maybe I can post some good photos Monday.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Minnow

You need to do a little research, find out what the forage base is and their habits for this time of the year. If the water temp is in the 70-80 range the odds are good the bait fish are suspended, find the forage (look for balls of bait fish on locator) and the 'eyes won't be too far away. Trolling with snap weights or leadcore will get to the right depth.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by applewood18 View Post
You need to do a little research, find out what the forage base is and their habits for this time of the year. If the water temp is in the 70-80 range the odds are good the bait fish are suspended, find the forage (look for balls of bait fish on locator) and the 'eyes won't be too far away. Trolling with snap weights or leadcore will get to the right depth.
I was going to suggest somthing similar.
What's your water clarity like?

Out here in Washington there's spots where guys catch walleyes extremly deep in the summer (50+ feet) so don't be afraid to work deep as well, if you haven't yet. Be warned though, fish from that deep will most likely die so don't do it if you're planning on catching and releasing. Go that deep only for eaters.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Minnow

Default I hear you from MO

I catch tons of crappie at my home lakes in Lake Ozarks, Pomme, Truman, and Stockton and every now and again I catch a bonus eye. I even troll cranks for the eyes and catch more white bass and crappie than walleye. Keep after them though man. Your bound to find them. I don't guess you would name drop that lake would you?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Wallhanger

With water temps that high I would be inclined to go deep. 20' +.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Minnow

I found them over here on Beaver Lake up in the shallows during the very late evening, and very early morning. Any light and they head somewhere else.

All I have been using so far, for actually targeting them, are some cheap ole deep diving crankbaits. They are off brand ones, they came out of my nephews tackle box. But hey, they work.

I have caught them on Road Runner jigs also, but I think that its more luck than not.

Water temps here are hovering right around 73 degree's. And that's water down by the dam.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Minnow

Well no luck this weekend. There is a rock dam but that area of the lake is blocked off to boating. I caught several big white bass and crappie they were 28 to 30 ft deep suspended in 40 + water. I was able to catch all the fish I marked, but one area on a bluff. Fish were stacked up realy close and alot of them It was 60 ft of water and the fish were 30 to 40 ft deep. The fish were all in a 65 yard streach. I even tried a bottom bouncer with a crank bait on a long leader to get down to them. I could not get a bite.

I not giving up just yet surely I can locate the walleye.

The lake is called Winona. It is located in Saline County which in the middle of the state.