Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
1993 Lund Pike Rebel 16 Boat Restoration Project - Page 20 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Slot Fish

Default high concentration sea foam

just made some progress...
had boat towed home, ran new tank, new line, 3 gal new 89 octane gas and half can sea foam, engine ran but was coughing up black goo in my water barrel, so I ran fresh water in the barrel to keep water fresh...engine ran on its own for about half hour and no more black goo coming out of the prop. there was a heavy black/brown oily film on the inside of the barrel. I am not following the actual Seafoam technique that I saw on youtube, was afraid to use a real high concentration, now I feel like I could of used more.

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-06-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Wallhanger

Glad you made some progress, but don't be surprised if you still need some carb work.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Wallhanger

Glad you made some progress, but you still need some carb work.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Slot Fish

Default went to store bought more sea foam

added a full can of sea foam to the remaining gas in my tank plus the other half can, thus i am running a higher concentration. i have an additional full can left in case i need more. i restarted the engine with the higher concentration and the black stuff came out again this time it looked like mud or melted chocolate? the motor ran for awhile and then quit. i think the high concentration of sea foam is now getting deep into it and dislodged a serious mess. i will let the sea foam sit in my system overnight and then continue running the high concentration gas thru it until the brown muddy goo is gone. i'd be surprised if sea foam in any concentration could clean up this engine, but it has taken me from an engine that would run 3 minutes and stall, to an engine that ran for more than half an hour.

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-17-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Good to hear you called the rep and now we know we can PUSH even more Sea Foam then I thought. I go as far as as 1/4 plus Sea Foam but did not want to suggest that because it is not my motor to wreck. But they stated a 1 to 1. Good to know. If I was doing that to a four stroke and under full rpm load I would add some oil to the gas to help with some added lubrication that a 1 to 1 mix would wash off.. Not a lot, but something extra. At least on my motor I would. Good luck, hope it all works without a carb rebuild.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Slot Fish

Default when i went 1/1....

when I say 1/1 , I mean about 1 16oz can of seafoam to 1 gal of my fuel oil mix, or something in that ballpark, i am not a mechanic so i am really not sure how this will turn out. In my case it started right up but a lot more gunk came out the prop, then it stopped and would not restart. not sure if I flooded it or what's going on. decided to let the heavier ratio of sea foam sit in the motor overnight and then i'll get some fresh gas and run seafoam at a lower ratio and see what happens. if any of you try this its on you, i'm in uncharted waters, i made my own decision and i may fail, we will see. always best to speak to a pro mechanic or your outboard dealer 1st or call Seafoam. in my case, I decided I don't want the motor at all unless that junk is cleaned out.

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-06-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Slot Fish

Default decided to try to fire it up again...

Looks like this seafoam product is for real, I fired up my mariner on the higher concentration seafoam again after work. It ran smokey and kind of rough but I noticed the water in the tank did not have any gobs of goo floating around, even after about 20 minutes. So I stopped the treatment and took a chance on re-filling my original suspect tank with more fresh fuel, mixed it 50:1, but only left the original light dose of seafoam in there...probably only a few ounces of seafoam left in there at that point. The motor runs like new now, does not stall, is quiet and hardly any smoke. No goo floating around in the water. I suppose I won't know for sure if this actually worked until I run it full throttle on the lake Monday, but I did have it in forward gear for about 5 minutes in my tank and it ran like new. I bought new spark plugs but have not installed them yet, it appears seafoam cleaned up everything, carb, engine, plugs and filter.

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-06-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Wallhanger

GOOD DEAL!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

I'll suggest putting in a new water pump impeller.

The water stream looks weak, and you stated the motor went unused for 5 consecutive years.

They are inexpensive, and easy to replace on a smaller motor like yours. After all your work, would not like to see you overheat the engine with resulting damage.

Google the process - it's an easy do-it-yourself, and the parts are cheap. It will probably take you 30 minutes the first time, and after your done, you'll see it as a 10 minute job.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Wallhanger

Great job..I followed this thread. I'm a huge fan of SeaFood.. I run it in both my 4 stroke and 2 stroke 15 Merc.
Before SeaFoam, I'd go through 2 sets of plugs on the 2 stroke per year. I used 1 oz to 1 gal this year ..started with a fresh set of plugs this spring and still running great. I troll with this with many..many hours. I may keep those plugs going until I see a problem.

Tags
fishing , floatation , flooring , lund , repair