Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Unusual trolling rigs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-08-2021, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Unusual trolling rigs

I'm sure some of you have thought about this before... What oddball stuff do you guys troll?

On a whim last summer I threw a mimic minnow on the end of my leadcore and not surprisingly caught a few fish.

Other than the usual spinners, spoons, plugs, etc - what other oddball things have you tried trolling?

My son suggested a gulp minnow on a plain hook behind leadcore. I don't see why not - I just never thought outside that box before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2021, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

If it wiggles and flashes it will likely catch fish.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:21 AM
Slot Fish

Unusual Eh?? I catch a lot of wallys trolling a slip sinker rig using a Northland Rock Runner sinker in front of a crawler harness and this sinker goes through weeds on the bottom fairly well and I prefer it over a bullet sinker for it lets me know the bait is within a few feet of the bottom. Now instead of a Colorado Blade on the harness you put on something that floats and preferably vibrates. The Apex A PLUG and the Lindy Lil' Guy both float and vibrate and have produced a lot of fish for me when they are tight to the bottom. But even better is the discontinued Mr. Twister Walleye Prop. The spinning/floating head of the Walleye Prop is extremely weedless compared to a Colorado Blade and it has has allowed me to pull some very nice walleye out of thick bottom weeds especially mid-May to mid-Sept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2021, 08:15 AM
Slot Fish

I use to just pull hardware for trout such as small rapalas and needle fish type lures. About 5 years ago I switched over to trolling flies. Now when I start off fishing I use a 50/50 presentation until I find the one with the best success. Most of the time the flies will do better than the hardware.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Ti2's
Old 06-10-2021, 08:38 AM
Minnow

Had a guy tell me just the other day that he uses gummy worms. Say's he catches more bass and walleye on candy than live bait. I was born on a day, but it wasn't yesterday.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:19 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyez View Post
I'm sure some of you have thought about this before... What oddball stuff do you guys troll?

On a whim last summer I threw a mimic minnow on the end of my leadcore and not surprisingly caught a few fish.

Other than the usual spinners, spoons, plugs, etc - what other oddball things have you tried trolling?

My son suggested a gulp minnow on a plain hook behind leadcore. I don't see why not - I just never thought outside that box before.
If you troll fast it’s a reaction bite a lot of times so about anything works.

Trolling lead head jigs with curl tail grubs can’t be beat. Produces everything when it comes to fish.Gulp leeches/worms/minnows. A cut string of perch belly on a hook.

The Erie Dearie in-line spinners.

Blade baits.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:24 PM
Minnow

I was very surprised to hear this!
taming io
Old 06-11-2021, 08:04 AM
Wallhanger

I used a 3-way swivel with a 6' leader and a 5' leader with a worm harness on the 5' leader and a 1 oz sinker 12" from the end of the 6' leader then tied a crankbait on the end. this worked pretty well until I ran through a school of white bass. I was running these on 4 downriggers. all 4 rods started jerking and tripped the releases. I had at least 2 fish on every lure and all 4 lines tangled to crap. by the time I got all 4 rods rigged it was with a single lure. and I've never tried it again.