Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Big 12 adds 4 teams to league.... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2021, 09:33 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
There are overrated programs and coaches everywhere. Nebraska has about as much chance of winning the Big 10 as Minnesota. To maintain some sort of interest in the also rans they made two divisions.

Texas gets mentioned because they have a TV network. They haven't won anything in the last 20 years either.

Miami, FSU, Michigan USC........teams with a storied history that aren't winning anything either.

It's Bama and a handful of other teams every year. I don't see that changing. Why would the NCAA & the TV rights holders want Oregon vs North Carolina in a title game when they can have Alabama vs Clemson?

College football for me went away when they destroyed the 4 New Year Day games many years ago. The glory days of college football are gone. Now it's just a feeder program for the NFL.
Most conferences are expanding to create 2 Divisions for there are big big $ to be made from a conference championship game. College football is presently thriving and for the few that now do not want to follow college football teams there is as of 2017 teams like the Minnesota United FC in the American professional soccer club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2021, 05:01 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
I saw something recently where mathematially Texas is the most unerperfoming football team in Division 1. they Lost to Arkansas yestarday. They get a top 15 or so ranking every year and dont even win the B12. Nebraskas move was a good one financially and in general. Nebraskas football problems are completely Nebraska's, not a function of the Big 10. They cannot keep perennial Top 20 recruiting classes around for starts...

not sure how much really changed at Mizzou/Colorado other than a lot bigger league payout.

College Football used to be a regional deal with close fan bases etc. Now...not so much The original Big 8 was in 6 rural farming states that had cultural ties, now it spans literally 3/4 of the country. really, who cares about Okie state vs UCF? BYU might be kind of interesting. Houston? commuter school with no fan base. Cincinnati?

Wouldnt be surprised if inside of 5-10 years a chunk of programs break out on their own without the NCAA. probably a semi pro league. there is just too much money at stake it appears . then it will be really bad for the ones left outside. Im not sure how the B12 teams will even pay their bills after Texas/OU leave. I think those 2 schools were generating 1/2 the Big 12 payout.
Concur....

The NCAA has grown to a point where they possess to much power. Starting to show...look how long they have taken to do something with Kansas Jayhawk basketball. Chances are the Jayhawks got caught with something that most well known University have their hands in.

Looking at the current state of college sports, America in general, it all boils down to the almighty dollar.

In essence....what I see going thru our college campuses and our country in general is one of the capital sins. That being ENVY. Goes all the way back to Adam and Eve...take it even further back it was Lucifer. They all wanted something else...something that only God had. Its only fitting that we see that sin permeate thru our society.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
Concur....

The NCAA has grown to a point where they possess to much power. Starting to show...look how long they have taken to do something with Kansas Jayhawk basketball. Chances are the Jayhawks got caught with something that most well known University have their hands in.

Looking at the current state of college sports, America in general, it all boils down to the almighty dollar.

In essence....what I see going thru our college campuses and our country in general is one of the capital sins. That being ENVY. Goes all the way back to Adam and Eve...take it even further back it was Lucifer. They all wanted something else...something that only God had. Its only fitting that we see that sin permeate thru our society.
IF what was going on at KU was found in a lesser program, they would have gotten the death penalty years ago. The NCAA appears wildly corrupt. The "right" programs get away wth murder the "wrong" ones pay the price so the NCAA can say"look how hard we prosecuted the rule breaker"
Old 09-12-2021, 06:58 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
IF what was going on at KU was found in a lesser program, they would have gotten the death penalty years ago. The NCAA appears wildly corrupt. The "right" programs get away wth murder the "wrong" ones pay the price so the NCAA can say"look how hard we prosecuted the rule breaker"
#1 rule of dealing with the NCAA is never cooperate. Examples include North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, etc.

Look what happened when Mizzou self reported a violation...the NCAA hammered them.

The NCAA is going away. They see the writing on the wall in this round of realignment, hence they are having a big meeting. The Power 5 (I believe eventually to be the Power 4 after the gutting of the Big 12) will break away soon enough.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:29 AM
Wallhanger

OU will beat my beloved Huskers this week. I never thought I would be happy to get out of the season with only 2 wins, but low and behold, I believe this is the year!
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite 7Ti2
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss
Old 09-13-2021, 11:32 AM
Wallhanger

Being a Huskers fan must be like being a Viking fan.......difference being the Vikings have a chance when the season starts.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:28 PM
Wallhanger

The SEC has long been by far the best conference in college football, so it's no wonder every team wants to be in it. Sorry for the rest of you, but not every team can!

Go Gators!

(Yes, I know how good the Crimson Tide - their opponent next Saturday - is, but with the emergence of QB Anthony Richardson as a true phenom, I think the Gators actually have a chance to beat them!)

Gerry
Old 09-13-2021, 05:51 PM
Keeper

Go Hawks!
Old 09-14-2021, 05:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Being a Huskers fan must be like being a Viking fan.......difference being the Vikings have a chance when the season starts. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG]
I love it!
Old 09-14-2021, 05:36 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlee View Post
Go Hawks!
"Like" button firmly pushed.......several times!

Nothing like being at the game, sitting on the 40 yard line in old Clone season ticket holder territory, press box side, first row of the balcony where everyone could see us, me and my son being the only 2 Hawk fans in the entire section, respectfully cheering like crazy!

I'm not sure I remember a funner away game!

😏