Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling For Crappies - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Wallhanger

Default Trolling For Crappies

Here in Minnesota we are limited to the methods we can use because of being allowed only one rod. But I still troll for crappies and have for over 40 years.

I have some tips will share first however would like to find out any tips or methods you have tried.

I have had limited success with crank bait trolling for black crappies, white crappies on the other hand are more receptive.

Thanks for the in put.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Keeper

Gary,

Hear in SW Ontario for the most part we two are limited rod wise. However I also fish these down in KY on Barkey and KY Lake.

I mostly used two tactics, I trolling as you do, plus slip bobbers with a 1/8 or 1/16 jig and minnow or plastic.

The trolling I do is generally slow with a road runner style bait or 1/8 spinner bait through the tree tops or in the creek channels.

Once in a while I will cast a small square bill crank in the channels as well.

Up here its the slip bobber and jig in early season in the marinas (docks) and creeks mouths.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Wallhanger

Default Crankbait Trolling

I use a small deep running crank bait and above the crank bait I put a 3-way approximately 2' above the crank bait. To the three way attach a 3' piece of stiffer monofilament and attach a small jig either marabou or twister style jig.

I remove the hooks from the crank bait, to be legal, as the crank bait is used to dive deep and hold the jig at a consistent depth, on 8# line typically 14'-17' deep and I troll open water looking for fish. Allows me to cover a lot of water. After the spawn I will troll 20' to 35' of water depth looking for pods of fish. Varying the speed to find the speed that will trigger the crappies. Varies by day so experimentation is key.

The wobble action of the crank bait really puts a nice action on the jig.

I use 12' rods with 6# or 8# line either works and 17 LC line counters.

Try it some time...works very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM
DRT

I been using a rig similar to a mayfly rig with great success that last two years. Single hook, 3 gold beads, and a size 0 or 00 gold colorado blade. Tipped with a small chunk of crawler or Gulp on it. I run it just above the weeks and it digs up some of the biggest crappie in the lake.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Wallhanger

Default Call me Mr Detail

Are you trolling, casting or both, what kind of hook? I have used a version of this sometime ago. As I recall went through the cabbage weeds nicely.

Thanks for the tip.....hope more will share

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I been using a rig similar to a mayfly rig with great success that last two years. Single hook, 3 gold beads, and a size 0 or 00 gold colorado blade. Tipped with a small chunk of crawler or Gulp on it. I run it just above the weeks and it digs up some of the biggest crappie in the lake.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

I slow troll with a Capps & Coleman rig. If you google B&M rods, they sell the rig on their site. It's basically a 3 way swivel with about a 10" leader and bait holder hook off one eye, then maybe a 30" leader with a egg sinker looped through it a few times, leaving another 10" leader and bait holder hook. Now you have 2 baited hooks about 20" apart. I use fathead minnows for bait and with my graph, I drop the rig down to where crappie are suspended. I'll make depth adjustments till I start getting bit. Then I mark the hi vis yellow mono with a magic marker where it comes off the reel. Then you only have to feed line off to the mark and get back to the correct depth. I'm usually trolling about .5 MPH. The egg sinkers vary in weight for depth fishing. I use from a 1/2 oz to 1 oz.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM
DRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
Are you trolling, casting or both, what kind of hook? I have used a version of this sometime ago. As I recall went through the cabbage weeds nicely.

Thanks for the tip.....hope more will share

Size 6 red octopus is what I normally use. Most would think a bit big, but the perfect size for a small chunk of a Gulp crawler on there. Haven't done too much casting with them. Usually, I'll longline them out the back of the boat while slow trolling with boards for pike in the spring. A few split shot to put it where I want it. Or sometimes I go weightless and let it drift over and through the weeds as a dead rod while I'm casting for bass or pike.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

We troll mini cranks for crappie a lot. The smallest rapalas, rebels, Bill Normans, etc. you can find. Sometimes no weight but usually pinch on a medium sized split shot a couple feet ahead of the lure is all we need. Other times we'll use tiny beetle spin type lures. And other times just plain crappie jigs slow trolled or drifted catch fish, too.
We catch a lot of big bluegills and red ears (shell crackers) on the same lures. And of course the bass won't leave them alone.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Wallhanger

Slow trolling Roadrunner jigs works well also. I've even used panfish-sized spinner baits. Minnows not necessary, small twister tails work as well.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Put any of these combinations on an Off Shore Mini planer and increase your catch.