Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling Gear - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Minnow

Default Trolling Gear

I am wanting to get into more trolling and am gonna buy a a couple new trolling combos. wondering what you guys think i should get, i mostly just pull plugs but am going to start using planer boards. i was also wondering if anyone has a place they buy there trolling gear from and if anyone has any good trolling books or DVDs to watch to learn more that would be great?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Keeper

Too many places to buy trolling gear from to list! I don't know about books or DVDs, but I'm sure the internet is loaded with info. I have owned many different LC combos. Magda Pros and Cabelas Depthmaster are the most price attractive combos. If you plan on fishing a handful of times per year, these should fit your needs. If you plan to fish 2-7 times per week, skip them and buy Daiwa Accudepths. On the Magdas and Cabelas, your line counters will not last very long, they will get sticky, then stop working all together.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Wallhanger

I just started trolling last year and actually got line counter combos planer boards. The best deals I found were in the swap board here on WC. You can always place a WTB (Wanted To Buy) thread if you are not seeing much. People here are always buying and selling, you may get lucky...With spring coming someone will buy new and sell their used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Slot Fish

7' Ugly Stick Med action 1 piece rods, diawa 27 line counter reels with walleye handle, and church tackle boards with offshore back clip with pin for me
Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Keeper

I order from tacklehaven whenever I can. they have limited selection, but great prices. http://www.tacklehaven.com

I also like Calumet Marine, decent prices and great customer service. http://calumetmarine.3dcartstores.com/

Also,
http://www.gloutdoors.com/booksvideo...hancedvds.aspx
Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Wallhanger

Daiwa Heartland 7'6" ml trolling rods, Daiwa Sealine 27's, Church's "walleye boards" are the ticket for me. Spool em up with Trilene Big Game 12 lb test and you have a great crank or harness trolling set-up.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Wallhanger

For boards with tattle tale flags try franksgreatoutdoors.com they are in Michigan but will ship.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 AM
Minnow

hommer found franks and have a pair of off shore boards with flags on the way. as for the trolling combos has anyone ever used the scheels trolling rods and reels. i do alot of buying at scheels and they have a lifetime grarantee so if anything breaks they will exchange it no questions asked just about every rod i own is a scheels rod and i seem to break rods some what often. i was also thinking about getting a pair of mini boards and try trolling for some crappie with them has anyone tried this?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

I have 2 eight foot and 2 twelve foot Scheels combos. Very pleased with them. I think they are very good setups for the price.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 AM
Minnow

scheels rods are great.