Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tournament cheating? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Wallhanger

Default Tournament cheating?

A friend of mine told me there was cheating in a tournament I wanted to fish. He said they fish all week and put fish in a holding trap. I would question how he would know this since I couldn't imagine someone doing something like this would be anxious to share this information. It would discourage me a great deal from entering if such things were happening.

It did interest me to see some of the results. A team bringing in 50 pounds the first day and only 12 the next. But this is certainly not proof of anything, their favorite spot may have been fished out or the weather or conditions may have changed drastically overnight.

Question is, do you think it is a prevalent problem?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Wallhanger

I am sure there is. Any time there is money involved cheating goes along with it. Pretty sad
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

There have been people caught cheating, without exception, they are not heard from much shortly after that, forever.

I think they end up being so embarassed it chases them from the sport.

For the situation you described, I doubt they could leave fish in a trap for a week. Fish start to have fuzz grow on them if they can't swim around to keep themselves cleaned off. A trap does not give them enough room to swim. They will fuzz up in a few days.

I had fish in a basket reported to me once prior to a tournament. I knew the people accused, and thought there had to be an explanation. I showed up at their cabin unannounced the day before the tournament and told them what I was told. They have an under dock trap that they keep fish in when they don't want to clean them right away during the year. We went to the dock and their trap was empty. I was satisfied the suspicion was not justified, and explanation was reasonable. They certainly did not like the suspicion, which I can understand.

I've seen the best fisherman do well one day, and struggle the next. It happens to everyone. That alone is not cause for alarm. At the same time, we always have a patrol boat on the water during tournament hours, and the contestants know it.

Here's what I tell the teams during the rules meeting. I've gotten to be friends with most of the people fishing the tournament. Don't put me in a position to make a DQ. I don't want to, but if I find cheating I will make a dq to be fair to everyone else. If that ever happens, the fallout will most likely be that they can find someone else to be tournament director going forward. I think the teams respect that. They know the rules, I expect them to be followed, and the people sitting next to them expect the rules to be followed.

They truly have all become friends I look forward to seeing each year. A tournament needs to be a level playing field. The winner, needs to win it, not steal it.

Last edited by Burr; 02-06-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 AM
WhoDey

There was a two man team that got caught cheating locally last season. They hang out at another fishing forum, and for years have let everyone know what great fishermen they are. They used to post frequently to remind the members. They won the last tournament last season, along with 'Team of the Year'. It's a smaller circuit, but they still won $8K for their 'accomplishments'. Someone came forward, and told the director one of the team told him they had cheated. They took a polygraph test, and failed. One of the team mates admitted to cheating, and gave back his share of the money. The other denied it. The director threatened legal action, and he finally returned his share. They haven't posted on the forum since.

What satisfaction someone would get out of cashing a check after cheating is beyond me.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Just Remember

One tournament won't make your reputation, but one tournament can ruin it..
Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
There was a two man team that got caught cheating locally last season. They hang out at another fishing forum, and for years have let everyone know what great fishermen they are. They used to post frequently to remind the members. They won the last tournament last season, along with 'Team of the Year'. It's a smaller circuit, but they still won $8K for their 'accomplishments'. Someone came forward, and told the director one of the team told him they had cheated. They took a polygraph test, and failed. One of the team mates admitted to cheating, and gave back his share of the money. The other denied it. The director threatened legal action, and he finally returned his share. They haven't posted on the forum since.

What satisfaction someone would get out of cashing a check after cheating is beyond me.

I would doubt if they had the lack moral fiber to cheat, cashing the check would be a problem.

Al
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARSH View Post
One tournament won't make your reputation, but one tournament can ruin it..
Exactly!! Well said..
Old 02-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Keeper

I wouldn't let it keep you from fishing the tournament if you truly want to fish it. While it is extemely possible for someone to cheat, I think 99.9% of the competitors feel they are good enough to win legitimately. There is a lot more to gain from tournament fishing than just the prize money. While it is nice to win back your entry fee and gas money, I find it much more rewarding to have either confirmed my existing knowledge or learned something new than to cash a check. Just my .02
Old 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregking View Post
I am sure there is. Any time there is money involved cheating goes along with it. Pretty sad
^^^My same thought!^^^
Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM
1975 lund

there was a team caught on the Red river in Manitoba years ago with a cage ,also in Dryden ontario a team was caught with a cage ,it is done for sue