Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ford F-150 - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 08-18-2021, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

First, you'll have zero issue pulling any of the current crop of walleye / multi-species boats with the new F-150 Power Boost. It's an upgraded 3.5 Ecoboost with an electric motor coupled to the transmission. It is the most powerful version of the F150 currently available. I've now owned a 2011, a 2015, and currently have a 2021 3.5 Eco without the power-boost hybrid option. All of the three pulled exceptionally well. The newest of course rated at higher hp and torque than the previous generations and also comes with a 10 speed transmission. I just returned from a 1,000 mile round trip loaded close to 10k lbs and it did exceptionally well with a lot of 80mph interstate. My 21' walleye boat is a non-issue!

I considered the power-boost option however I drive 35-40k miles a year on my trucks and a few things steered me away. First is it is not proven how long the battery will last or how durable the hybrid options is. the second things is most of the benefit is going to come in around town driving, when towing and out on the highway you will see very little benefit if any. outside of slightly quicker acceleration from a stop. The fourth was a lower payload capacity as the battery adds weight a reduces capacity. The last was the inability to get the 36 gallon fuel tank. with the hybrid your down to a 26 gallon tank I believe. With little difference in highway towing fuel mileage to the non-hybrid, that's a deal breaker as I just drive to many miles.

I like the tech, they are more powerful, and the mileage is definitely better under certain circumstances so there are some great things about the new power boost. It's gotten rave reviews thus far. As far as towing your boat, there should be little concern, it'll do a fantastic job of that task!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2021, 10:25 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
The last was the inability to get the 36 gallon fuel tank. with the hybrid your down to a 26 gallon tank I believe.
All really good points! Regarding the tank, you're right, it is just a single, fixed size option. It's actually at 30 gallons.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:56 AM
Wallhanger

Woodinville, thanks for the clarification. I knew it was smaller, but wasn't positive on the size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2021, 06:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
First, you'll have zero issue pulling any of the current crop of walleye / multi-species boats with the new F-150 Power Boost. It's an upgraded 3.5 Ecoboost with an electric motor coupled to the transmission. It is the most powerful version of the F150 currently available. I've now owned a 2011, a 2015, and currently have a 2021 3.5 Eco without the power-boost hybrid option. All of the three pulled exceptionally well. The newest of course rated at higher hp and torque than the previous generations and also comes with a 10 speed transmission. I just returned from a 1,000 mile round trip loaded close to 10k lbs and it did exceptionally well with a lot of 80mph interstate. My 21' walleye boat is a non-issue!

I considered the power-boost option however I drive 35-40k miles a year on my trucks and a few things steered me away. First is it is not proven how long the battery will last or how durable the hybrid options is. the second things is most of the benefit is going to come in around town driving, when towing and out on the highway you will see very little benefit if any. outside of slightly quicker acceleration from a stop. The fourth was a lower payload capacity as the battery adds weight a reduces capacity. The last was the inability to get the 36 gallon fuel tank. with the hybrid your down to a 26 gallon tank I believe. With little difference in highway towing fuel mileage to the non-hybrid, that's a deal breaker as I just drive to many miles.

I like the tech, they are more powerful, and the mileage is definitely better under certain circumstances so there are some great things about the new power boost. It's gotten rave reviews thus far. As far as towing your boat, there should be little concern, it'll do a fantastic job of that task!
Great overview of an interesting new truck!

Gerry