Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shorelander trailer loading issues help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-10-2021, 11:34 AM
Minnow

Default Shorelander trailer loading issues help

I'm in the process of trying to work out the kinds on this 1997 Shorelander single axle roller trailer. The boat is a 1997 Lund 1900 Pro V. I took the boat out for the first time yesterday. Love the boat. Hate the roller trailer.

I'm in the process of searching for a dual axle bunk trailer for this boat (used), but until I find one, I'd like to make this trailer more user friendly without spending a ton of money on it.

I've read that the self centering 12" roller can help with the problem I'm having. This boat will NOT load straight on this trailer for the life of me. Previous owner stated he was having same problems. I embarrassed myself yesterday at a busy launch for about 45 minutes, before finally giving up and driving home with the boat off center by about 3" to 4". I fixed it at home with a truck jack and some yanking.

This trailer has a pad on the rear cross member, furthest one back, and these 4 "center rollers" in the middle of the trailer.

Where on this trailer is the "right" place to add a self centering roller trailer, like this Stoltz

https://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/12...ort_p_202.html

Do I need to add more than one of these, or would 1 well placed centering roller work for this trailer? The existing rollers on this trailer, shown in the picture, are only 7.5" wide, and I wouldn't be able to add the self centering roller in this bracket, unless someone knows of one that fits.

Thanks for any insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_094343_resized.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	329148   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_094434_resized.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	329150  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2021, 12:47 PM
Wallhanger

Maybe get rid of those center-keel rollers and convert to a "XR" version, with a kit like this?

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XR image.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	329154  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shoreland'r TA0004_ROLLER_ARM_ASSY_XR.pdf (433.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-10-2021, 01:13 PM
Wallhanger

i have a set of dual 12" dollars as my front rollers. i had the standard black rollers on and they were old and one split. so I replaced them both with a new set of self centering rollers. we only got to load the boat 3 times and they did seem to center the boat better than the old style rollers. the only place I found anything like mine is at trailerpartsdepot.com if I was you I would add guide posts to the rear of my trailer it make a big difference or at least add a roller low in the back to stop the bow from hitting the trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2021, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Walleye,
Remove all of the rollers and roller brackets in the center of the trailer.

Then, add a 12 inch wide self centering roller at the stern cross brace, the middle cross brace and the front cross brace.

By using 3-12 inch wide rollers, you can be way off in position as you approach the trailer during a loading operation, but still connect with a self centering roller to pull you back to the center. If you are using only a 4 inch roller, it is easy to completely miss the roller and have the hull scraped up by rubbing on the roller bracket and axle caps.

When you do your final adjustments, have the boat perfectly centered. Then, using a sledge hammer on the underside of the bracket with partially tightened nuts on the roller brackets raise the rollers so each roller is showing a good amount of compression. i.e. you want each of the self centering rollers to take their share of the load.

When you mount the self centering rollers have the bracket placed on the trailer, so the boat as it is being loaded, sees the roller before it sees the bracket. You don't want to be scraping up the bottom of the hull of your boat by scraping on the brackets.

By having 1- 12 inch wide roller at each position, and placed with the correct orientation, no matter where the part of the boat is when it touches a roller, the rolling roller will pull the bottom of the boat and thus the rest of the boat to the center of the trailer.

i.e. when you look at the top of the roller in its bracket, if you put your hand on the top of the roller and push it toward the winch stand, you want to see the centering groove moving toward the center of the roller.

If you find that the centering groove is moving toward the outside of the trailer as you roll the top of the roller toward the winch stand, you have the roller reversed and you need to flip it 180 degrees.

https://www.boattrailerparts.com/12-...er-_p_202.html

Order the roller, the bracket, the axle and the axle caps x3 for your trailer.

Best wishes

Last edited by REW; 09-10-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:41 PM
Minnow

REW

Thanks for the very detailed description. I appreciate it greatly. I'm going to follow your directions to a T.

Everyone else, thanks for responding. If you read my initial post, you'll note that the goal is to get a dual axle bunk trailer. I don't want to spend $400 to $500 on side rollers for this trailer. It's a single axle trailer, (first mark against), and it's a roller trailer (2nd mark against).

I'm disappointed in the quality of a Shorelander trailer, to be honest with you. I've owned various boats for 37 years (bought my first when I was 20), and this is the first roller trailer. It's also the first Shorelander, and I think it's a cheap piece of ....... When I googled my problem, trying to find some good options, I couldn't believe how many people over the past 20 to 30 years have experienced the exact same problems loading a boat with the stock configuration. If Shorelander had any pride at all in the product they are turning out, they would have made these changes long ago. I wonder if their newer trailers have had these problems corrected.

Until I find a decent, used dual axle bunk trailer from a quality manufacturer, I'll add the 3 self centering rollers and call it good. Whatever I do, it has to be better than how this POC loads now. Yesterday was an embarrassing and frustrating moment at the launch. All eyes were on the idiot who couldn't get his boat back on the trailer straight.

I'll post some pictures once all the parts arrive and are installed. The way shipping has been lately, it'll probably be a couple weeks......unfortunately. Winter is coming......
Old 09-11-2021, 12:50 AM
Wallhanger

How deep are you putting the trailer. On my 2014 I leave a decent amount of the top of the fender exposed. So the water is somewhat below the bottom center of the fender. If you put it to deep could be possible floating around till you pull it out of the water. Winching on I think the only times I had an issue. One was I backed in to deep. Other the ramp was not close to level. Did not see if you posted this. Are you trying to powerload or winching boat on.

Last edited by Snowking; 09-11-2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:39 AM
Wallhanger

if you put guideposts on the rear it'll keep the back straight helping the boat to load straight. then put at least 1 12" self-centering roller in the front. you might do as noted above and try backing in the water a little less. I had guideposts on my 21' cobia glass boat and winched my boat on with an electric winch. we would make sure the boat was started in the center of the keel roller and most times it loaded straight. then if it started loading a little off in the front bow roller we'd get a little slack in the winch line and move the line to the other side of the winch. but if the back is loaded crooked the bow will be crooked and you'll never get it loaded straight from front to back.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:27 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Walleye,
Remove all of the rollers and roller brackets in the center of the trailer.

Then, add a 12 inch wide self centering roller at the stern cross brace, the middle cross brace and the front cross brace.

By using 3-12 inch wide rollers,
Best wishes
REW

So, an interesting discovery this morning. I went out to measure the cross braces so I could order the correct u-bolts to fit. Sourcing hardware around here is quite difficult.

This trailer only has 2 cross braces! I honestly couldn't believe it. My Bass Cat trailer, for comparison, had 4 cross braces for a boat that was 8" shorter than this one.

I'm NOT welding in another cross brace. Do you think a stern roller and a mid-roller (self centering) will be strong enough to support this boat, given that I will be removing the 4 keel rollers that are apart of the existing support system that I will be removing?

Appreciate your perspective......
Old 09-11-2021, 08:32 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
How deep are you putting the trailer. On my 2014 I leave a decent amount of the top of the fender exposed. So the water is somewhat below the bottom center of the fender. If you put it to deep could be possible floating around till you pull it out of the water. Winching on I think the only times I had an issue. One was I backed in to deep. Other the ramp was not close to level. Did not see if you posted this. Are you trying to powerload or winching boat on.
I tried several positions of backing in depth (is that a term? it is now.....), and none of them allowed the boat to center itself up, from 1/3 in, to 1/2 in, to 2/3 in. Nothing worked. I just don't think the trailer is a good design. As stated earlier, the guy I bought the bought admitted to me that the shortcoming of the entire rig was the trailer, and he always had trouble loading.

Last Chance,

thanks for your input, but if you read my above comments, you'll note that I am NOT investing that kind of time and money into this trailer, as I'm replacing it ASAP when I find a double axle trailer worthy and not costing over $5K. I contacted Trailmaster for a trailer quote, and it was $7600 and 6 month to 8 month wait.

My $16K lb. GVWR dump trailer didn't cost that much, so they are obviously very proud of themselves.

I'm just trying to get this trailer serviceable at the ramp long enough for me to replace it.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Walleye,
Remember, replace every keel roller with a 12 inch wide self centering roller and you will be fine.

If you remove the pair of 4 inch rollers near the center of the boat, replace them with a pair of 12 inch wide keel rollers. Just have a welding shop modify the current two center roller bracket with a roller bracket that will accomodate the 2 12 inch wide rollers and you will have identical load carrying ability. An easy way to accommodate the double roller on the center cross bar would be to put one roller on each side of the center roller. This could be done by simply cutting off the current bracket and bolting on a pair of 12 inch wide brackets on each side of the center cross bar.

Remember, you want your first center transom roller that is on the stern of the trailer to also be a self centering roller.

Best wishes

Last edited by REW; 09-11-2021 at 08:37 AM.