Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mackerel Fishing advice - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-24-2020, 08:52 PM
Minnow

Default Mackerel Fishing advice

Hi everyone! Just getting into fishing, specifically for mackerel as I’ve heard there’s a lot around where I live in the UK. I really have no idea what I’m doing, I currently have an old broken rod I found which hasn’t been working too well. I’ve ordered some 4oz weights and feathers but was looking for advice on what sort of setup/rod I should be using if any? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2020, 06:50 AM
Minnow

Hi everyone! Just getting into fishing, specifically for mackerel as I’ve heard there’s a lot around where I live in the UK. I really have no idea what I’m doing, I currently have an old broken rod I found which hasn’t been working too well. I’ve ordered some 4oz weights and feathers but was looking for advice on what sort of setup/rod I should be using if any? Thanks

ISSUE SOLVED!!!

Last edited by Hawker; 04-27-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Here is a pretty good article on fishing for mackerel in your area.

One recommendation is to use a 12 foot Carp rod, if you happen to have one of these:

https://www.anglersmail.co.uk/fishin...ch-loads-24356

Perhaps something like this for 50 .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carp-Combo-.../dp/B006VF2T98
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

I only have experience is with Spanish mackerel with some experience with cero, king and Wahoo. Best advice I can give for these species in the US is shiny lures moving fast. They like to slam baits and you cannot reel anywhere near as fast as they can strike.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:49 PM
Minnow

With limited experience fishing for King Mackerel and Spanish Mackerel with a buddy of mine, here is what I found:

1) Wire leaders are a must, as Mackerel have big sharp teeth.
2) We fished for them with Medium Heavy Fenwick rods (equipped with Penn Battle II reels and braided line) from a boat, although many people fish heavy rods for them.
3) We had two dedicated rods with Sabiki rigs to jig up cigar minnows to use as bait.
4) We ran four poles that were baited with wire leaders, and heavy slip sinker, and trolled through at a slow pace over an underwater trench area that held fish.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:29 PM
Wallhanger

I am certainly not going to add to your catch or knowledge of catching them. I just wanted to say, The best smoked fish I ever had was Mackerel! If you catch any, smoke some. Bob