Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing report lakes oahe /sharpe pierre area march 1st to 9th - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 03-09-2021, 05:12 PM
Keeper

Default Fishing report lakes oahe /sharpe pierre area march 1st to 9th

Just a quick update about early spring fishing around Pierre on Sharpe. Once again I had some friends over fishing for a few days during a great week for the weather (in 60 and even 70 degree days) Mike Kulm and friends spent three days fishing the open water below the dam down to antelope creek. They worked for the fish but managed limits of nice walleye pitching mostly jigs/minnows in different depths form 10fow to 25fow..One thing they commented on was the number of boats out on the water . Lots so if you are coming to fish expect boat traffic especially in the community spots that hold fish this time of the year. They actually pulled out of one of these because of lots of boats and went south and did well so if you know the river you can find fish were boat traffic is light. Once again I will mention that this time of year a lot of the walleye are pre spawn females so even though the state allows you 4 fish of any sex it is just great sportsmanship from my view pointe to limit females to maybe two per limit and throw back the nice spawning fish when possible. I know that is hard to do some days but with the amount of early spring pre spawn fishing now it seems to me protecting females to spawn is a good idea. Granted there are opposing views but this is mine and everyone is entitled to a four fish limit of any sex so the state still must think this isn't necessary. Minnesota closes its season to protect spawning but they have always had more fishing pressure than we have had here . I have wondered in recent times if our GFPS are looking at this and am sure they feel it is not necessary. I talked to former head of GFPS John Cooper a couple of years ago and he was the one that told me he just kept a few females if necessary but that he just targeted milking males. especially when the spawn started and I think that is very good advice. The ice on Oahe is very thin some places so caution is the word. I think we are going to see more big fish in catches this year and am looking forward to a great fishing season.

Hutch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-9-2021-img1.jpg
Views:	2594
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	324686   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-9-2021-img2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	324688  
Sponsored Links