Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Two Line Bill In Minnesota - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 AM
Cedarsac

Default Two Line Bill In Minnesota

Has anyone gotten any updates? Been out of touch on this issue. thanks gary korsgaden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Does this mean, if passed, the law would allow fisherman to fish with two lines at a time? I've never understood the one line law. If bag limits stay the same, why should it matter if a fisherman is using one or two lines? In the end more fish aren't going to are taken are they? I understand one might be concerned about mortality of hooked fish returned to the water, but is it really that high, and do fisherman really continue to catch more fish after they reach their limit?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Keeper

Here is a fairly lengthy recent thread on the topic:

Thoughts On Fishing Two Lines In Minnesota: Should It be Legal

And here is the status of the bill in the Legislature:

HF0016 Status in House for Legislative Session 87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Minnow

Thumbs up The People of MN want it!

It is time for this to happen.

Various MN publications have done reader surveys over the past couple of years on this topic and the MAJORITY of those who responded were in favor of two lines becoming law...and it really wasn't even that close.

There is no data showing that it would be detrimental to the fisheries and is mostly just a social issue with people simply afraid of change.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyerish View Post
It is time for this to happen.

Various MN publications have done reader surveys over the past couple of years on this topic and the MAJORITY of those who responded were in favor of two lines becoming law...and it really wasn't even that close.

There is no data showing that it would be detrimental to the fisheries and is mostly just a social issue with people simply afraid of change.

Your statement above is basically true. You forgot to mention the DNR is opposed. I am one of the minority who doesn't want it. But it's been hashed over many, many times here.

Same thing will happen here as with the stadium bills. It won't matter what the taxpayers think, the lawmakers will do what they want anyway.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Slot Fish

Default done both

I was born and raised in Minnesota. Moved to Michigan in 1993. Fished one line for years in Minnesota and still often do in Michigan. I do like trolling crankbaits and crawler harnesses from time to time and we can now fish 3 lines per person on all Mi. waters. I kept lots more fish in my early Minnesota days than I do now. It has little to do with the number of lines.
My 63rd birthday is coming up in September and even an old Norwegian like me can be educated. Catch and release is now a viable option for me and one I often choose. But I am Norwegian and I eat fish too.
Fishing with more than one line will not to anything negative to the fishery in Minnesota in my opinion. I hope they choose it.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Slot Fish

I can not see 2 lines making a large difference in the catch rate that it would affect the fish population. I believe it is just a social issue.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Wallhanger

Lets not forget that the DNR was against the sonar and underwater cameras too. They said that they would wipe out the fishery as we know it. I'm not knocking the DNR, but it's time for two lines.

John Mickish
NPAA# 379
Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Minnow

Default Two Line Bill Update

If I"m reading the article right, (todays Mn. Star/ Trib), this has passed one of the committees, yesterday, and still has a ways to go. However the bill was changed to NOT allow 2 lines when trolling.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettels View Post
However the bill was changed to NOT allow 2 lines when trolling.
If that's true, that's about as dumb as a brick bobber.

John Mickish
NPAA# 379