Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Onix unit shuts down when starting motor - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 06-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Slot Fish

I have a onix8 si and have never had it restart after cranking, and I just have it plugged In with female spade connections under the dash. Maybe it's a onix10 problem only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Minnow

It didn't shut down when I last used it, Memorial Day weekend. I suspect it is the battery. It may be 3 years or older now. Also. It is only a group 24 I think. It's got enough to turn over the motor now but probably not much more.

I went all out and purchased two big AGM trolling batteries when I first got my boat. I think I replaced them after the third or fourth year after they died. I am now on round two of lead acid batteries. For me the AGMs didn't last significantly longer than a lead acid, so I don't see the point. They are almost three times as much money. If I could get 6 or more years then maybe.

I have a charge on the run system and have not fished a day where I have run out of juice yet. I plug it in overnight when I plan on fishing the next day.
Also, I keep the boat at a Marina in Northern Minnesota. I don't take the batteries home with me in the wintertime to keep them charged. the marina won't trickle charge them for me over the winter so I think is tough on the batteries and shortens their life.
I all about getting better technology but I dont think an AGM helps me out here. Am I wrong on this ?
Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamefisher View Post
Group 31 AGM, all these big new units eat a lot of power, I upgraded to a Northstar AGM because of that and have never looked back, 220 minutes reserve, big bucks but worth every penny. Seems to me your getting a significant voltage drop when you start your motor, that was the problem with my rig before I switched to the big AGM, trouble is no more. All I can say is hooking to TM battery is a bad idea and not recommended by anyone who knows anything.....you'll see tons on electrical interference from your TM, DON'T DO IT!
Why is this SO BAD?? My Lowrance units never shut off and I get ZERO interference!! 12 volts are 12 volts NO???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 06:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheatNY View Post
Why is this SO BAD?? My Lowrance units never shut off and I get ZERO interference!! 12 volts are 12 volts NO???

It's the electrical interference caused by the TM that feeds back thru the electrical connections into the head unit. If your not getting that then you are an anomaly.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcarmichael View Post
It didn't shut down when I last used it, Memorial Day weekend. I suspect it is the battery. It may be 3 years or older now. Also. It is only a group 24 I think. It's got enough to turn over the motor now but probably not much more.

I went all out and purchased two big AGM trolling batteries when I first got my boat. I think I replaced them after the third or fourth year after they died. I am now on round two of lead acid batteries. For me the AGMs didn't last significantly longer than a lead acid, so I don't see the point. They are almost three times as much money. If I could get 6 or more years then maybe.

I have a charge on the run system and have not fished a day where I have run out of juice yet. I plug it in overnight when I plan on fishing the next day.
Also, I keep the boat at a Marina in Northern Minnesota. I don't take the batteries home with me in the wintertime to keep them charged. the marina won't trickle charge them for me over the winter so I think is tough on the batteries and shortens their life.
I all about getting better technology but I dont think an AGM helps me out here. Am I wrong on this ?
There is no doubt that AGM's are rated significantly higher in the discharge/recharge cycle area, that IMO doesn't even require a debate, been proven and published over and over again. AGM's also self-discharge at a much slower rate than wet cells. So if you were to charge them fully and store them over the winter un-maintained, you would be fine. The concern as I see it is your comment that you plug them in overnight if you plan on fishing the next day. Fact is that all batteries, all batteries need to be recharged immediately after using, doesn't matter how long they were used for or when the next fishing excursion is planned, always right after they are used on the charger they go, you never want to leave a battery in a discharged/semi-discharged state for longer than you have too, doing. Charging right after use (and keeping topped up) guarantees you the best possible chance at achieving the longest life span and the most charging cycles for that battery(s).
Old 06-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcarmichael View Post
I rewired the unit directly to the starting battery. Soldered connections, in line fuse, 18gauge marine wire. Unit works but it still shuts down. Maybe I need a new battery.

Two questions..
1. If I buy a replacement starter battery, what size do you recommend? I have a Honda 150hp.

2. What happens if I hook it up directly to one of the trolling motor batteries?
I would recommend a larger wire (12ga). I did this on my HB (not an Onix but had the same problem when powered from under the dash). I think 18ga wire is little small for the distance from your starting battery to the dash
Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Minnow

OP: For what it's worth i was having the same problem with a 958c DI. It would only happen after some time on the water with the HB, livewells, etc. running. Replaced my underpowered group 24 with a non-AGM group 31 and problem solved. Actually powering an 859c HD on it now, as well with no power down. It was definitely the battery. BTW, $140 or so at the St. Louis Park Batteries Plus (saw that you are in MN).

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Minnow

18 gauge wire works just fine for mine.
Was in a local marina with a blown trolling motor fuse Monday and decided to get a new battery while I was there.
Pulled my old group 24 out, saw the sticker said 2007 and put a new group 27 with 1000 cranking amps.
Problem solved. Fished it hard that day without problems. No more shut downs.

Still dont see the point of AGM on my boat, for my needs. I can turn over the motor when I need to, power my equipment without failure (so far). On paper I can see where AGM is better, but if I cant get 3 times the life out of it, then its not worth it for me. AGMs are too pricy (and not readily available when I need them)