Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Upgrade duramax - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 08-22-2021, 06:35 AM
Upgrade duramax

Default Upgrade duramax

Looking to upgrade about 18 years to a newer duramax. What would you folks do? The price of used (couple years old) is totally crazy right now. Sell my 03 before winter (don't need it in winter) and go without and hope prices become more reasonable next year? The way things are right now, and considering I put fairly low miles on it and take very good care of my vehicles, I'd almost be better off buying new and would get that extra few thousand back when I do retire from camping/boating. Wish I had a crystal ball on what the future holds but I don't. What's a guy to do? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2021, 07:29 AM
Wallhanger

Me personally will not buy a diesel that I have to use DEF in I will keep my 2003 7.3 4X4 Crew Cab Dually until the day I die. For the price of new trucks I could rebuild my complete truck for almost less money.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:09 AM
Keeper

If you really need power, upgrading to the 2017 or newer is a big jump. I sold my 06 last year and bought an 18 and it is the difference between night and day. I pull a very heavy horse trailer thru the hills of southern MO/Northern Ark and LOVE the new truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2021, 03:30 PM
Wallhanger

With the shortage of new trucks, I don't think the market for new (or slightly used) will get softer any time soon.

If I were in your shoes, I'd sell my truck now while the market is phenomenal, and then order a new truck after the first of the year. There really is no reason to not buy new when the prices of slightly used is so high.

And FWIW, I really don't understand the fear of DEF. I've owned pre emissions trucks and post emissions trucks. Sure the old engines are simpler. They also are (way) less powerful, less fuel efficient, and come wrapped in technology that is now 20 years old. There simply is no comparison between a 20 year old truck and a new one. The ONLY Place the old truck wins is cost.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:46 AM
Wallhanger

With the def systems on trucks nowadays. I would buy new. That way you have some warranty protection if it goes out early. With def systems. I always thought it would be better to put a decent amount of Miles on the truck. Keep fresh def fluid in it. Better question is if you need a diesel. I bought a farm truck F350 with the 6.2 gas engine. Does not get as good of mileage. But with the premium price for a Diesel engine. But the fact that diesel fuel normally costs more then gas. Could not pencil it out for low mileage per year trucks. Plus the gas engines normally have more payload capacity. Because the diesels weigh more then the gas engines.
RMBin303 you must not know anybody anybody that had DEF problems. I know someone that was out in Colorado. Truck went into def limp mode. Difficult for them to get back to Wisconsin in limp mode. Some trouble with the heater element going out in the def tank. Not to mention the fuel filter issues people seem to have with diesels during winter. Allot of people keep extra fuel filters with them.

Last edited by Snowking; 08-25-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:52 PM
Slot Fish

If you have time to wait, I would buy new and deal with the wait to order. Few weeks ago sold my '19 F250, 34K milies for $2500 more than I pd new, ordered a new one 1 hr later for $150 more than I sold mine, unfortunately I have to wait for it but I have another vehicle. Used market is crazy becaues some folks need it right now for business and a couple grand isn't much if your business takes a hit.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:54 PM
Minnow

I got my '18 2500HD from a person I know and trust. So far, no problems whatsoever. This truck has plenty of power. I even bought a Blue Ox towing Super Ride since I tow a 5th wheel once in a while.

If you are planning to buy a used Duramax, it is better to take it to an independent shop for assessment and trouble code checking.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Just curious - do you need diesel?
Old 09-21-2021, 02:25 PM
Keeper

Sold my 2006 Duramax for 1/2 of what I paid for it this year. No joke. Had a 120,000 miles and it was spotless. Only had two small dings on the body.

Bought a new one and even though they are pretty pricey; they are still worth every cent for what you get.

If you want a new truck; go to the dealer and order one the way you want it. And sit back and wait. You could save money by pre-ordering your truck because you won't be paying for options you don't want.

Good luck.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Elite FS
Old 10-08-2021, 12:35 PM
Minnow

I have had a few diesels. 2007 GMC, 2013 GMC, 2016 GMC Denali, and 2017 Ford King Ranch, all one ton's.

2013 and 2016 GMC's are the best riding driving of the bunch. I too don't drive them much, average 10K per year, sometimes they have all sat for a couple of months. I tow around 13K equipment trailer at times and other times a 4K boat. 2013 and up, big upgrade in towing/handling. Best fuel mileage unloaded around 23 mpg with the 2013/2016 GMC, loaded 16 with boat and 11 with equipment trailer. Ford's best is 17 unloaded and 14 with boat and 10 with equipment trailer. That said I have had motor/turbo troubles with each one. Never was a Ford man but the wife liked the new body style and King Ranch so we bought it. It came with a life-time power train warranty and we purchased the life-time electronics warranty. I don't plan on ever buying another truck so stuck with the Ford. I you can afford it I'd go with a newer truck with the 10 speed transmission. My Ford has the 373 rear but there was a 35? option, wish I had got the higher gears. I have a friend with a new Ford and 35? rear end and he gets 22 mpg.
As my towing needs have decreased, if I purchased another truck it would have a gas motor, (6.2 GMC). There are some very significant differences between the 2016 and 2017 (newer) Ford, same is true for the 2019 to 2020 GMC. So again if I was buying, I'd probably go with a 2020 GMC with 6.2 gas motor, might even opt for a half ton as these new truck are so tall I can't look in the bed over the side rails, I'm almost 6'. Oh, all trucks were quad cab, 6.5 bed, four wheel drive.