Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
First boat purchase ever. Could use some advice - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-12-2021, 11:12 AM
Minnow

Default First boat purchase ever. Could use some advice

Hello all,

I recently found this website after googling and researching boat options. I am in the market for a new aluminum fishing boat and as a result of never having owned a boat before coupled with the insane amount of options available I am admittedly struggling a bit. I am only going to do this once and I want to do it right.

I am looking at options from Lund, Princecraft, Crestliner and Alumacraft. I am not trying to get into a discussion surrounding which of these manufacturers I should go with, that is not the intent of my post.

I am only trying to educate myself on critical options and what those options do before I make what I consider to be a very expensive purchase.

I am wondering when comparing similar 17 to 18 foot offerings from Lund, Princecraft or Crestliner why the maximum horsepower ratings on the Lund typically max out 25+ horsepower less than comparables from Princecraft or Crestliner.

This greatly factors in to my decision as a 125 or 150 horsepower motor costs considerably less than a 200 that the princecrafts or crestliners state as max... I was always told to max out the HP rating on anything I buy... Why do two different but structurally similar 18' boats that generally weigh the same have such different horsepower capacities?

I am torn on purchasing all the electronics rigging from factory, or DIY. I have a full complement of tools and am very capable at technical work. I have been told that it's best to rig yourself as you get to decide exactly where everything goes to your own liking. However I have also been told to let them do it as everything will be warrantied if anything goes wrong... thoughts?

Can someone walk me through which seating options are strongly recommended? I have looked and looked for videos or articles on the internet that show what the differences between pro ride seats, air ride seats, seat sliders and mainstays, captains chairs etc but I haven't had much luck discerning what the differences are aside from that the captains chairs have arms and that air ride seats have different pedestals?

What are the tangible real world differences between cable steer rigging and hydraulic steering? I assume it's a worthwhile upgrade to go with the hydraulic steering? Are there differences between the Panther and Sea Star options?

That's a good start for now, thanks Gentlemen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2021, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Get the horsepower rating off the coast guard ID plate or from the factory websites. Many dealers will advertise lower hp motors to keep the price down.

Unless you want to hook-up your own electronics have it factory installed.

Hydraulic steering.

Dealers make the difference. Showing up in their doorway shows you are serious plus they can explain the options much better. If you want to be lazy and shop & buy from your couch be ready for a lot of unanswered emails. Also a trip down to the local launch to ask questions on models you like the looks of is always a good idea. Ask your questions when guys are loaded up and are getting ready to go, not when they first get there. Most guys are more than happy to talk boats.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:12 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Get the horsepower rating off the coast guard ID plate or from the factory websites. Many dealers will advertise lower hp motors to keep the price down.
Hi Minnesota Guy. Thanks for your advice and for stopping in. I believe I may have not explained myself clearly on this topic. I am taking the maximum horsepower ratings from the factory websites. I am aware that manufacturers will strap a 90 horse motor on an 18 foot boat in order to advertise a sparkly low price.

I am only interested in the logic behind maximum horsepower capacity ratings, not what they come with by default. Crestliner and Princecraft rate a 200 hp max capacity on their 18' boats where Lund only rate their 18' boats at a maximum 150 HP.

Just wondering what I am missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Unless you want to hook-up your own electronics have it factory installed.

Hydraulic steering.

Dealers make the difference. Showing up in their doorway shows you are serious plus they can explain the options much better. If you want to be lazy and shop & buy from your couch be ready for a lot of unanswered emails. Also a trip down to the local launch to ask questions on models you like the looks of is always a good idea. Ask your questions when guys are loaded up and are getting ready to go, not when they first get there. Most guys are more than happy to talk boats.
Duly noted, thanks again for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2021, 12:52 PM
Wallhanger

Coast guard has allot to do with ratings. Same size boat does not mean it is built the same. Lund pro v verses my crossover. Pro v has thicker metal and beefed up transom so higher horsepower rating. If you have kids I would for sure look for a boat with rear jump seats. If you do any amount of trolling jump seats are nice. I never put the rear pedestal seats in. They are just in the way. Hydraulic Steering for 150 and up outboards. Otherwise Hydraulic not needed. If you are within 25 hp of max is close enough. Depending how small a boat your going to. If you are undecided between a 17 foot boat and a 18. Always go with the bigger boat. If you can afford it. Very few people say I bought to big of boat. They always wish they had bought the next size up. Normally I would say for a first boat go used. Because no matter how much you look around. Once you have a boat for a few years. You will likely change your mind about what you would have bought. With the used boat prices right now. Can not blame you for looking new. The other thing is try to order within the next few weeks. Way better chance of getting the boat in time for next year.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:56 PM
Wallhanger

I should add. If you want people’s opinions on what size and boat you should buy. Post what size lakes you normally fish. Plus if you mostly cast or troll. What kind of fishing you do.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:52 PM
Wallhanger

The 18 foot Lund Tyee and Pro V max out at 200. These are the what i would consider the heartier of the Lund models.

Highly recommend the Hydraulic steering, can turn with a finger compared to fighting torque with cable steering. Would never go back to cable after owning hydraulic .

Wave pro or Smooth moves really help with taking the pounding from the waves so your spine doesn't have too. If I was buying a new deep V I would want them.

As far as rigging goes I like doing my own. But if you have never done it before you might want to let the marina do it. But doing it yourself let's you know exactly how its run if you have to troubleshoot later.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 09-12-2021, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

My 2 cents worth here.

If you are deciding between a 17 or 18 footer and have the room. 18 footer all the way. Max your hp motor rating.

Look at the boats you are interested in. It's going to come down to what floor plan you like best and what fits your needs. Don't skimp on a trailer.

If you are handy and have the time and are confident go ahead and mount your own electronics if you like doing this.

I like Minnesota guys recommendation. Go to a launch see what guys have and ask them questions. What are their likes and dislikes.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:20 PM
Minnow

A 1775 (basically) 18 ft. with a 150hp from lund is prob the best boat for a new owner imo. The price goes from 'ok thats alot" for a 1775 to 70+ for a 1875 with a 200hp. What if it turns out you cant fish much or dont like fishing or boats. Then your stuck with a 70k boat. you wont notice much difference between a 1775 or a 1875. Also let the factory do your electronics....
Old 09-12-2021, 06:52 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
Coast guard has allot to do with ratings. Same size boat does not mean it is built the same. Lund pro v verses my crossover. Pro v has thicker metal and beefed up transom so higher horsepower rating. If you have kids I would for sure look for a boat with rear jump seats. If you do any amount of trolling jump seats are nice. I never put the rear pedestal seats in. They are just in the way. Hydraulic Steering for 150 and up outboards. Otherwise Hydraulic not needed. If you are within 25 hp of max is close enough. Depending how small a boat your going to. If you are undecided between a 17 foot boat and a 18. Always go with the bigger boat. If you can afford it. Very few people say I bought to big of boat. They always wish they had bought the next size up. Normally I would say for a first boat go used. Because no matter how much you look around. Once you have a boat for a few years. You will likely change your mind about what you would have bought. With the used boat prices right now. Can not blame you for looking new. The other thing is try to order within the next few weeks. Way better chance of getting the boat in time for next year.
Thanks for the feedback. I have been wavering back and forth for more than a few years now on making this purchase... been saving and dreaming for a long time. I can see your point why someone should go with a used boat to get your feet wet and then re-evaluate. I feel like I have been thinking about this for so long that I will make a solid and logical decision.

I am currently eyeballing the Lund 1875 Impact XS but that's not set in stone... but I strongly feel that I would never need a higher calibre of boat beyond that range... nor would my budget accommodate more than that. Fully rigged that boat is somewhere around the $80K to $90K CDN range on Lund's boat build page... That's a ridiculous amount of money.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:59 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
I should add. If you want people’s opinions on what size and boat you should buy. Post what size lakes you normally fish. Plus if you mostly cast or troll. What kind of fishing you do.

My original intent of my post was not to garner people's opinions on what size or which manufacturer of boat I should get... I was more looking to find out what some of these options mean on the Lund boat build website as I have no idea which ones are really essential and which aren't...

However that being said, I am also not foolish enough to turn my nose up at free / sage advice and I could obviously use the help.

I live in Ottawa Canada, lately I have taken to fishing musky but also have a soft spot for walleye, bass and pike. I don't have any kids. Just my wife and I.

I mostly cast, but would do some trolling.

Thanks Snowking