Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
suggestion for beginner shotgun purchase for pheasant hunting - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:42 AM
wolf1931

Red face suggestion for beginner shotgun purchase for pheasant hunting

fellow hunters my buddy out of Chicago has convinced me in mid October to go pheasant hunting about 2 hrs south of chicago near Lincoln Illinois on a pheasant preserve: talked to owner he suggested a 12 guage 26" length barrel automatic that holds 6 shells and use 6 1/2-7 shot lead is allowed on preserve I went to dick's sporting goods and salesman showed me a shotgun with all those parameters for $379 I forget to ask the name but will call does this make sense for a novice shooter who has never hunted but shot clays on outdoor range about 5x 5yrs ago an instruction classes we all shared the same shotgun I was surprised the gun was so light plan to purchase in a month or so and practice over the summer appreciate any suggestions , names, and models this is price range I can handle with my budget thanks jim wolf Chicago boys senior novice hunter going 2 days $80/man/day includes guide and dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 06:18 AM
Wallhanger

You can't go wrong with a Remington 870. It is a pump, but that is what most of the country started with. No need for an auto loader, the pump will never give issues with different she'll types as those lower end autos can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2016, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Years ago my first choice would have been an Ithaca 37, also a pump. You would need to buy one used since they aren't made anymore, and the older the better!
Second choice would have been a Remington 870.

Today I would choose the 870 over the Ithaca, mainly because of the screw in choke tubes. As stated in the above post, the 870 has been very popular for many years and my current turkey gun is a 870 super mag..
BTW, those pumps can be cycled very fast; I also see no need for a semi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 09:20 AM
Wallhanger

Agree -- pump for sure. The 870 is a dandy and are the Winchester SXP and the BPS (Browning Pump Shotgun).
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT -- sold
2018 Ranger RP190, 115 Yamaha VMax SHO -- sold

Boatless
Old 03-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Wallhanger

While I'm an auto shooter, I would want to see most people starting out, using a pump and the Remington 870 is a great choice! In our state, you can only have 3 rounds in your shotgun. The biggest issue with an auto, is a lot of people just pull the trigger as fast as they can and they forget about actually making that FIRST shot count! I just think it's easier to develop good shooting habits when you concentrate more on that first shot as opposed to making that auto sound like a machine gun! LOL

2014 LUND Crossover/150HP 4S Mercury
8 HP Mercury kicker/80 lb Ulterra
Non stop smiles!
Old 03-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Wallhanger

www.ithacagun.com They seem to still be in business, in fact they are making 1911 handguns as well as shotguns now.
It's the pump shotgun that fits me better than any other. You aren't me. Buy a gun that fits you, not necessarily what fits all of us who answered your question.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Wallhanger

Thought they were gone, glad to see that link. I like what they are offering and I agree that the Ithaca also fits me better than any other shotgun I own, but as posted above, maybe won't fit someone else the same.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:10 AM
wolf1931

Red face remington 870 pump seems to be the one

fellow hunters thanks for input most reading I have seem to give it good reviews will do the pump (how many shells can I input in the pump??) one reviewer stated he shot over 10k in rounds and never had a jam but others claimed some jamming issues?? what has been your experiences ?? I assume I have to clean it and do maintenance on a regular basis plan on taking a gun safety and maintenance classes at bass pro so I know what is needed to prevent jamming what are common causes of "jamming" on shot guns thanks for your inputs ;is it just the poor mechanics of design or lack of maintenance?? appreciate comments and thanks for helping a novice jim wolf Chicago boys I assume pumps jam less than automatics ?? will go will 12 guage 26" barrel for pheasants
Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 AM
Keeper

If you can swing it, choose the 870 Wingmaster over the cheaper 870 Express. You could look for used, if that would help. For upland game, the 26 inch barrel with improved cylinder choke is a good choice. Most new barrels will have the rem choke system, so choosing a specific choke should not be an issue. I would also suggest a 3 inch chamber, to make it a little more versatile. I've been shooting the Wingmaster for over 40 years, so my personal opinion is not without some merit. But, there are many good shotguns out there , as referenced in the previous posts. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
2013 Minn Kota PD V2 w/iPilot
Old 03-20-2016, 07:46 AM
Minn guest

I,ve shot a model 12 Whinchester pump gun for many,many years, last year I used a A5 Browning about half the time, no doubt you can stay on the bird with follow up shots with the auto loader,easier and faster. Go to a gun range and try both see what you like better.