Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Rotten Transom Repair - Page 9 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-27-2021, 04:32 AM
Wallhanger

Well said Frank. I saw the pics of my boat and is looking great coming back together. Your guy sent my friend some pics and he relayed to me. I liked your video of the before and after of the motor movement. The wife is keeping an eye on your FB page.
Have a great day.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2021, 07:06 AM
Minnow

That’s one ugly old girlfriend frank! I don’t have a horse in the race but even I feel like you are getting spanked for something you didn’t do. You seem the savior of rotten transoms & I’d send mine to you if ever I needed such a craftsman.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:14 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenRalph View Post
That’s one ugly old girlfriend frank! I don’t have a horse in the race but even I feel like you are getting spanked for something you didn’t do. You seem the savior of rotten transoms & I’d send mine to you if ever I needed such a craftsman.
thanks buddy just trying to pay it FWD and help some of these guys that end of buying some one elses problem its realy not the end of the road if you have time and energy to fix it. I am not the guy thats ops for the fast and easy way out
Old 11-29-2021, 09:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Hunt1,
Check with Lund.
But Lund has announced that they have composite transoms available for a lot of their boats.
Could be right for you.

------------------
However, before jumping to conclusions - really ring out your transom to see if you have any issues.

As a starter, just remove one motor mounting bolt and use a pick to check the interior of the transom for punk, soft spot or moisture.

It is quite possible that your transom is just fine but that you have electrolysis, that is causing the bubbling paint.

So, do a very good test on the transom before you get worried about it.

In addition, there are a lot of boats that have weak transoms that have run for many man years with the weak transom by simply adding a 2 inch by 2 inch or 3 inch by 3 inch by 1/4 inch thick aluminum angle from one end of the transom to the other end of the transom along the top inside edge of the motor. Have the top two motor mounting bolts run through the angled aluminum. By bracing the motor the full width of the boat - the motors torque is transferred to the full width of the transom and removes virtually all of the motors torque from the main transom board.

Best wishes
Lund has composite transom replacement pcs for almost any Lund ...back for decades.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt1up View Post
I have not. I’ve only talked with dealers, mostly Lund dealers. None have mentioned having a Lund do it. I’ve tried contacting Lund directly but they direct you straight to a dealer if you have issues. I haven’t found a number to call them directly to discuss it.
A Lund dealer would need to schedule that with the Lund plant.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:12 AM
Wallhanger

I think with the back log in the order, and supply chain I don't think Lund or any other boat builder will take the time to do those kind of repair.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Slot Fish

Just got my 2002 Lund Angler home today. Transom replacement. Work was done at Fountain Of Youth For Boats in North Prairie Wisconsin. Looks great!! The real test will be next spring when I get it in the water. They were not the cheapest quote I had, by any means. But I felt that they would do the job right and by the looks of it, I am very satisfied. They use marine grade plywood and make sure everything is sealed well. Ryan convinced me he does not like the flex of composite.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1700SS View Post
Just got my 2002 Lund Angler home today. Transom replacement. Work was done at Fountain Of Youth For Boats in North Prairie Wisconsin. Looks great!! The real test will be next spring when I get it in the water. They were not the cheapest quote I had, by any means. But I felt that they would do the job right and by the looks of it, I am very satisfied. They use marine grade plywood and make sure everything is sealed well. Ryan convinced me he does not like the flex of composite.

Did he say it flexed too much or not enough?
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 12-03-2021, 05:20 PM
Slot Fish

How I took it, was there was to much flex.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:33 PM
Wallhanger

Interesting, I had seacast poured in my 87 Lund Baron. The original marina who did the work did not use enough material, they ended the transom only two inches past the lower bolt holes. So i was left with a transom that flexed too much. Luckily Frank( mentioned in this thread) was able to fashion a Marine plywood and epoxy sealed aluminum C channel brace that greatly reinforced the transom.

If i had to do it all over again i just would have replaced what was there in the first place, good old marine plywood. It was a lesson, and a very expensive one at that, learned
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel