Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Line Counter Reels Recommendation - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Minnow

Default Line Counter Reels Recommendation

I received great advice from Walleye Central members to buy the St. Croix Eyecon ECC 70MHM rod for trolling walleyes! Works great! Now I am now looking for advice on a line counter reel. Currently using an old reel that is too big and heavy for this rod! Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2020, 05:58 PM
Slot Fish

Are you just pulling bottom bouncers and spinners/3 way rigs with this rod, or are you full out trolling cranks?

If you're just pulling spinners then you don't really need a line counter. A low profile baitcaster will do.

If you are pulling cranks, then a Shimano Tekota 300LC is pretty tough to beat. I've also got an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 300LC that works well. The 300 size reels are nice if you're just pulling cranks with braid or mono.

If you plan on pulling lead, you're going to want to run 500 sized reels. Again I think Shimano Tekotas are the best on the market. Diawa makes some okay stuff too.

Cheers,
RJR
Old 10-03-2020, 06:47 PM
Wallhanger

For me it is a Shimano Tekota.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2020, 07:56 PM
Wallhanger

I really like that rod, too. I equipped mine with a Shimano Tekota A TEK401HGLC; the 400 size because I prefer the power handle (otherwise I would have gone with the 300 size), the left-handed version because I prefer to hold the rod in my right hand and reel with my left no matter what kind of setup I'm using. I'm very pleased with it!

Don't forget to calibrate the line counter on whatever reel you go with.

Gerry
Old 10-03-2020, 09:12 PM
Wallhanger

Gerry, have you reeled in something with a few pounds on it. I was concerned with the high retrieve ratio those smaller(300 &400 A's)of 6.6 to 1. I have 6 of the older Tekota reels with 4.2 to 1. I know some of my bass reels I have used on occasion when pulling various lures to be a chore to crank a couple hundred feet in with 6 to 1 ratios.
Maybe that power handle helps? Bob
Old 10-03-2020, 09:35 PM
Keeper

The Tekota surely is a nice reel but if you find the price a bit high then I would recommend a Okuma Convector.

What type of presentation are you mainly using this model of rod for?
Old 10-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Wallhanger

ive had great service out of Daiwa Sealines
Old 10-04-2020, 06:55 AM
Wallhanger

I've heard the tekota reels are the best. but if they aren't in your budget there are a few mid-range reels that will serve you good for yrs. the Daiwa sealine sg17lc3b reels are great. if you want a little larger reel the 27 is a good choice. another good reel is the convector cv 20d I think the 30 is a little big unless you plan to use wire. the Daiwa accudepth plus is another good choice if you're on a tight budget. the same as the sealine but a cheaper reel. if you're on a real tight budget the Okuma Magda will work until your ready to upgrade.

the Okuma coldwater is supposed to be a good reel but I've never even seen one.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:19 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
I've heard the tekota reels are the best. but if they aren't in your budget there are a few mid-range reels that will serve you good for yrs. the Daiwa sealine sg17lc3b reels are great. if you want a little larger reel the 27 is a good choice. another good reel is the convector cv 20d I think the 30 is a little big unless you plan to use wire. the Daiwa accudepth plus is another good choice if you're on a tight budget. the same as the sealine but a cheaper reel. if you're on a real tight budget the Okuma Magda will work until your ready to upgrade.

the Okuma coldwater is supposed to be a good reel but I've never even seen one.
I have 6 of the Okuma coldwater linecounter reels for pulling Offshore inline boards. No complaints they work great. Mine are the left hand retrieve model.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

Another vote for the Shimano Tekota. My preference is the 400LC due to the size and handle.

They’re a joy to use and they’re a lifetime purchase.

Waxy