Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Line Counter Reels Recommendation - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2020, 09:53 AM
Wallhanger

It seems there is alot of love for the Tekota and I'm sure its justified. But for me, running an 8 rod spread, the economics just didn't work out, that would be around 1700 for the reels. I went with the Okuma Magda budget reel, all 8 for 390. I really have no complaints, they get the job done. I'm not saying they are in the same ballpark as the Tekota by any means but if you're budget conscious then they do fill that slot nicely.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Lowrance Carbon 16
Lowrance HDS Carbon 12
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3in1 and HDI
Airmar tm150
2 84" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
8 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2020, 10:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
It seems there is alot of love for the Tekota and I'm sure its justified. But for me, running an 8 rod spread, the economics just didn't work out, that would be around 1700 for the reels. I went with the Okuma Magda budget reel, all 8 for 390. I really have no complaints, they get the job done. I'm not saying they are in the same ballpark as the Tekota by any means but if you're budget conscious then they do fill that slot nicely.
There are many adequate reels for trolling. Much depends on how you troll,where and what you catch. I have had them all at one time or another. I settled on Diawa for a time, I ended up putting drag washer kits in all of them. They worked well till things started wearing out.(about everything) I fixed and fixed..... I started shopping for Tekotas. About 4 years(mostly on ebay) getting good prices before I ended up with 6. Even when I hook up with a 40lb stripper(just one that big but decided to mention it) it handled the situation without a question. What you can afford of course. Bob
Old 10-04-2020, 10:54 AM
Slot Fish

What size line are you using, how much line capacity do you need and what do you consider light?

My opinion of reels used:
Shimano Tekota - built like a tank, has a great drag and line capacity but heavy and expensive.
Daiwa Sealine 17 - good overall reel and around $100 but lacks power.
Daiwa Sealine 27 - great drag, line capacity, power, and good price but largest and heaviest.
Daiwa Lexa LC300 - light, lot of power, great drag but small clicker button.
Abu LC 5500-6500 - light and good line capacity but power lacking and tiny handle.
Cabelas LC - piece of junk.
Okuma low pro - very similar to Lexa but a little bulkier.

Favorite of all is the Daiwa Lexa LC. Low profile (great for small hands), lots of power and drag and about $150 online. Need less line capacity get the LC 100, more the LC 400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2020, 11:35 AM
Wallhanger

I need to correct what I said in my 1st post:

On my St. Croix Eyecon ECC70MHM I have an Abu Garcia REVO4 WNCH-L, and I've only used that setup for bottom bouncing since I got it this summer; plan to use it for heavier baitcasting, too, but haven't yet done any of that with it - hopefully still this fall! I have the Shimano Tekota A TEK401HGLC I mentioned on a St. Croix Eyecon ET70MM for trolling. I'm thus far very pleased with BOTH setups.

I should also have mentioned that in my case my Tekota recommendation isn't based on long experience. I got advice here and read up here and elsewhere beginning early this year, then watched for a bit for good deals. As with most of my gear, I've only been using my Tekota since I got my boat this summer. Seems very well made, and operates very smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Gerry, have you reeled in something with a few pounds on it. I was concerned with the high retrieve ratio those smaller(300 &400 A's)of 6.6 to 1. I have 6 of the older Tekota reels with 4.2 to 1. I know some of my bass reels I have used on occasion when pulling various lures to be a chore to crank a couple hundred feet in with 6 to 1 ratios.
Maybe that power handle helps? Bob
Biggest so far with that trolling setup was a 21" walleye, so a few pounds at most. I thought it reeled in great, but I do think that power handle helps. In my clutzy hands, anyway.

I don't particularly care for such a high gear ratio, either, and given my druthers I'd probably have gone for one of the older Tekota reels you mentioned. I'm a recreational fisherman who enjoys playing the fish I catch; I'm not a pro who is eager to bring in each fish at blazing speed so I can hurry up and catch another. That seems to be the way more and more reel manufacturers are going, though.

Gerry
Old 10-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

my 1st reels were the Okuma Magda pro. it wasn't long until I upgraded with the Daiwa accudepth plus 17lc and the sealine sg17lca. I used these for a few yrs and they both worked great. I got a great buy on the new sealine sg17lc3b, so I bought them and sold the accudepth still working great. now I use the sg17lca reels on the left side and the sg17lc3b on the right side. I've had the sg17lca reels for about 12 yrs and bought them used off eBay, and they still work great. the lc3b reels were bought used off eBay about 6 yrs ago and they all are doing great. I did switch the handle on them to the power handle. didn't have enough power with the paddle handles. I recommend these reels and power handles for trolling Erie. if you plan to run wire your gong to need a bigger reel. I plan on trying 2 next yr so I bough Okuma convector 30 reels. I know they will work great because its what a friend uses. but the larger Daiwa's will work also.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:48 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKfishing View Post
What size line are you using, how much line capacity do you need and what do you consider light?

My opinion of reels used:
Shimano Tekota - built like a tank, has a great drag and line capacity but heavy and expensive.
Daiwa Sealine 17 - good overall reel and around $100 but lacks power.
Daiwa Sealine 27 - great drag, line capacity, power, and good price but largest and heaviest.
Daiwa Lexa LC300 - light, lot of power, great drag but small clicker button.
Abu LC 5500-6500 - light and good line capacity but power lacking and tiny handle.
Cabelas LC - piece of junk.
Okuma low pro - very similar to Lexa but a little bulkier.

Favorite of all is the Daiwa Lexa LC. Low profile (great for small hands), lots of power and drag and about $150 online. Need less line capacity get the LC 100, more the LC 400.
put the power handles on the daiwa sealine sg17lc3b reels and you have all the power needed. i have them on my sg17lca and the sg17lc3b reels and never needed more power. the same power handle on the 27 and 47 will work on the 17 reels.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:24 PM
Slot Fish

Last Chance, putting a longer handle will help the 17 but that still doesn’t change the small gear size (issue with the Abu’s also). Just saying that when compared on the water to the Lexa or Tekota, the power and drag difference is substantial.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I need to correct what I said in my 1st post:

On my St. Croix Eyecon ECC70MHM I have an Abu Garcia REVO4 WNCH-L, and I've only used that setup for bottom bouncing since I got it this summer; plan to use it for heavier baitcasting, too, but haven't yet done any of that with it - hopefully still this fall! I have the Shimano Tekota A TEK401HGLC I mentioned on a St. Croix Eyecon ET70MM for trolling. I'm thus far very pleased with BOTH setups.

I should also have mentioned that in my case my Tekota recommendation isn't based on long experience. I got advice here and read up here and elsewhere beginning early this year, then watched for a bit for good deals. As with most of my gear, I've only been using my Tekota since I got my boat this summer. Seems very well made, and operates very smoothly.

Biggest so far with that trolling setup was a 21" walleye, so a few pounds at most. I thought it reeled in great, but I do think that power handle helps. In my clutzy hands, anyway.

I don't particularly care for such a high gear ratio, either, and given my druthers I'd probably have gone for one of the older Tekota reels you mentioned. I'm a recreational fisherman who enjoys playing the fish I catch; I'm not a pro who is eager to bring in each fish at blazing speed so I can hurry up and catch another. That seems to be the way more and more reel manufacturers are going, though.

Gerry
Good to hear. I doubt I will need more trolling reels at this point in my life, but it is good to know the Tekotas are still getting it done. Thanks
Old 10-06-2020, 04:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
ive had great service out of Daiwa Sealines
Same here, I have about 12-14 of them and they have worked very well, plus they are a bit cheaper than the tekotas.

al
Old 10-06-2020, 05:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
Same here, I have about 12-14 of them and they have worked very well, plus they are a bit cheaper than the tekotas.

al

Same as me. I run ten of them and had one problem over 5 years. Had a shaft break internally. 10 dollars and about an hour to get it back up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk